K7 Full review

Started Jun 19, 2009 | Discussions
lawsonstone Senior Member • Posts: 1,247
Pre-Production camera+Firmware 1.0

the problem is that the pre-production cameras do NOT all have the advanced sensor in its final iteration. Some even have just the K20D sensor.
--
----------
Lawson G. Stone
I don't make history, just memories.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawsonstone/
My 365 Photo Blog
http://www.stonesfence.net/StonesFence/Project_365/Project_365.html

Benna78 Regular Member • Posts: 256
I wonder...

Why the cons are always so silly??

-- hide signature --

Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say... no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh... depended on the breaks.

solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,745
Re: Pre-Production camera+Firmware 1.0

You are correct about the pre-production camera sensors... the only issue remaining would be that the reviewer stated several times throughout the review that a Production camera body and v.1.0 firmware was used for the review.

lawsonstone wrote:

the problem is that the pre-production cameras do NOT all have the
advanced sensor in its final iteration. Some even have just the K20D
sensor.
--
----------
Lawson G. Stone
I don't make history, just memories.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lawsonstone/
My 365 Photo Blog
http://www.stonesfence.net/StonesFence/Project_365/Project_365.html

solarider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,745
Auto-rotate Fauxpas in the Review

I wanted to add, I commented on their review site about the grip and auto-rotate fauxpas.

Being that their autorotate sounded to not be functioning, I added that perhaps other functions in their camera might not be working correctly as a whole, and should be considered for a re-edit.

Nic

inoahnoah Regular Member • Posts: 336
This review was fine. Give this guy a break.

This review was pretty thorough. Seems to me that any review that doesn't give an absolutely positive review of this camera would get shot down here. He had a positive experience with the camera. Not all people have the time or inclination to shoot in RAW and do all the post production work that goes along with it. The fact that Canon and Nikon deliver better looking high quality JPEGs straight from the camera is going to be a big deal for a lot of photographers. Nothing wrong with him mentioning the differences.

His other main complaint is the price point. The Price should be more in line with the Nikon D90 which is the true competition for this camera. 1,299 might be cheap enough for the Pentax faithful but when other people are shopping around and they see the d90 in the 1,000 range it is a lot tougher sale. Especially given all the high praise for the D90's image quality.

For me It is a great camera but I can wait for the price to come down. I just bought a k-m a couple weeks ago because I didn't want to drop 1,300 for a body alone. I got the camera and the D FA 100mm macro and the DA 16-45 for less than the price of the K-7 body. For me the decision was a no brainer. All I have to do now is wait till the body drops down to around 900 and I will have both camera bodies for the price of one.

Cut this guy some slack. He gave the camera a positive review. Everyone has been clamoring for a review of the full production unit. Now you have one. Minus the battery grip mistake he seemed pretty knowledgeable. And besides, he gave it great marks on the high ISO performance which was the main thing people wanted to see improved over the k20d. So lighten up, go buy the camera, and have fun shooting the heck out of it ... rain, sun, or snow.

Mousehill Veteran Member • Posts: 7,539
Those are by far the worst images

that I have seen from any photographer!

How on earth can a person why doesn't know how to shoot a well exposed and well lit subject, with good light (and composition) review a camera?

The images don't go behind plain pointing and shooting...... the reviewer should stick to writing about P&S camera's

Mike
--
--
Capturing time that will never be the same

http://www.mmfoto.nl
http://www.pentaximaging.nl

Mousehill's gear list:Mousehill's gear list
Pentax K-1
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,446
Re: This review was fine. Give this guy a break.

His other main complaint is the price point. The Price should be more
in line with the Nikon D90 which is the true competition for this
camera. 1,299 might be cheap enough for the Pentax faithful but when
other people are shopping around and they see the d90 in the 1,000
range it is a lot tougher sale. Especially given all the high praise
for the D90's image quality.

Not true, the K-7 is a higher spec camera than the D90: a weather-sealed magnesium alloy body, 100% coverage viewfinder, higher FPS shooting speed, jack for external microphone, etc. The K-7 is more of a competitor to the D300 and Canon 50D. Pentax doesn't really have a direct competitor to the D90.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
MajStriker Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: Those are by far the worst images

Mousehill wrote:

How on earth can a person why doesn't know how to shoot a well
exposed and well lit subject, with good light (and composition)
review a camera?
The images don't go behind plain pointing and shooting...... the
reviewer should stick to writing about P&S camera's

Mike
--
--

What the heck, man? Are you really trying to be serious?

Let's take a look at some samples that DPreview have posted...these are from the K20D samples:

Now THOSE pictures are pure point and shoot type of pictures. At least this reviewer's pictures had some artistic appeal to them. And either you haven't been perusing this forum very long or just don't look at other people's pictures very often because I've seen far far worse here.

The underexposed pictures is a conscious choice by Pentax no doubt (see a recent poster's thread on the K20D) but that doesn't mean a user has to accept that. Nor do you or I. When someone reviews a camera they have a right to criticize (or praise) the jpg performance because let's be honest...most people will use the jpg. Yes several will go with the RAW some of the time but mostly they use the JPG and that's what you have to judge is the default. No one has the time to test five or six different jpg settings as 8-10 different ISO settings etc etc. It would take forever.

-- hide signature --
John Rossbach Regular Member • Posts: 248
Re: K7 Full review

I just couldn't get past this:

"...utilising 77 metering segments .. for improved autofocusing"

John Rossbach's gear list:John Rossbach's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Dolan Halbrook
Dolan Halbrook Senior Member • Posts: 1,212

And
either you haven't been perusing this forum very long or just don't
look at other people's pictures very often because I've seen far far
worse here.

LOL, yeah Mousehill's a forum newbie...

Dolan Halbrook's gear list:Dolan Halbrook's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +2 more
KALEL33 Senior Member • Posts: 2,797

Mousehill wrote:

How on earth can a person why doesn't know how to shoot a well
exposed and well lit subject, with good light (and composition)
review a camera?

How on earth have you been here almost 30 weeks and can say that. I see horrible photos on almost a daily basis from DSLR shooters here. I even seen a guy griping about the AF of his Canon camera and later found out he just pointed the camera towards the area and expected the thing he wanted in focus to be in focus. He didn't even use the viewfinder and wasn't using live view.

Obviously you need to look around this site and see the horrendous shots from people that bought a $1500 DSLR, expecting to get pro shots without any need to learn about photography or the camera.

Luis Fonseca Regular Member • Posts: 347

Gary Martin wrote:

camera.

Not true, the K-7 is a higher spec camera than the D90: (...) The K-7 is
more of a competitor to the D300 and Canon 50D. Pentax doesn't really
have a direct competitor to the D90.

Sorry to desagree but to someone looking for a first camera the k-7 competes with the D90.

The D300 is a lot bigger and bigger means better to a lot of people. Of course that specs wise it is more like the d300 but with movies.

Luis Fonseca's gear list:Luis Fonseca's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +12 more
Chris Strobel Senior Member • Posts: 1,514
Re: K7 Full review

MajStriker wrote:

Oh yeah, before I forget...Someone complained about the sample
pictures...are you kidding me?!!! Take a look at DPReview's sample
galleries! This guy did a hell of a lot better than they do! The
reviewer had better pictures than a majority of the shots that show
up here in the forum even, what are you expecting?

Yes, they should easily get a show with these

Peleg
Peleg Regular Member • Posts: 391
I completely agree!

Good grief, maybe this guy oughta learn how to focus before he starts reviewing cameras. Yeah, and the exposure could be better. Either that or the K7 is one bad pic-making camera.
--
http://peleg.smugmug.com/

Peleg's gear list:Peleg's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Mousehill Veteran Member • Posts: 7,539

MajStriker wrote:

least this reviewer's pictures had some artistic appeal to them. And
either you haven't been perusing this forum very long or just don't
look at other people's pictures very often because I've seen far far
worse here.

There is one difference though, the people here don't review camera's and are willing to learn how to get a good composition and exposure. Some people still believe that it's the camera that makes a good photo....

It's still and foremost the photographer that makes a good image. I'm willing to bet for a K7 that I can get excellent results from a K7 within a few hours of holding one.

-- hide signature --

Mousehill's gear list:Mousehill's gear list
Pentax K-1
Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,782
Using a P&S doesn't require a photographer...

Mousehill wrote:

Mike

Indeed those samples look like (ahum)...

But what's wrong with a P&S?

If he used the Pentax optio W60, he got more like these images....shot by me from today. Off course only the cam is doing this I was just holding the thingiie

-- hide signature --

Bye4now

http://www.indots.nl

I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

Gary Martin

camera.

Not true, the K-7 is a higher spec camera than the D90: (...) The K-7 is
more of a competitor to the D300 and Canon 50D. Pentax doesn't really
have a direct competitor to the D90.

Sorry to desagree but to someone looking for a first camera the k-7
competes with the D90.
The D300 is a lot bigger and bigger means better to a lot of people.
Of course that specs wise it is more like the d300 but with movies.

Someone looking for a 'first camera' is not the target market of the K-7, that's what we call 'entry-level' and the K-7 is not an entry-level product. The K-7 has dual control wheels and lots of exterior controls and options for advanced photographers and professionals. I agree that the D90 has more appeal to the entry level market. The K-7 is way too much camera for a beginner.

Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
Gary Martin
Why?

It's a professional review site, there are minimum standards and the criticism is warranted. Just one example: he complains that the HDR is 'useless' because you can't use the 2-second timer and therefore pressing on the button will cause camera shake. Does he not know that there are inexpensive remote releases available?

Jorgen E Senior Member • Posts: 1,730

Gary Martin wrote:

The K-7 is more of a competitor to the D300 and Canon 50D.

The D300 9is almost 2 years old by now, so, in reality, the competition for the K-7 will be the next iterations of those cameras. Perhaps that's the biggest problem for the K-7?

-- hide signature --

Take care,
Jorgen

Probere necesse est.....

Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,782

Jorgen E wrote:

Gary Martin wrote:

The K-7 is more of a competitor to the D300 and Canon 50D.

The D300 9is almost 2 years old by now, so, in reality, the
competition for the K-7 will be the next iterations of those
cameras. Perhaps that's the biggest problem for the K-7?

Why? I hear the next iteration will be the Nikon D300s = Nikon D300 with Nikon D90 video that's all. So if this is true the K-7 will hold it's ground, especially if you count in the price increase nikon will do on the D300s. I for one was tempted by the D300 at some time but the size of that thing was holding me back, the K20D is as big i can tolerate. I use my K-m more and more for personal shooting, and use the K20D for studio work and assignments.

I welcome the K-7 very much.
--
Bye4now

http://www.indots.nl

I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads