E-500 loses date/time settings

Started Jun 19, 2009 | Discussions
mariomirabile
mariomirabile Senior Member • Posts: 1,372
E-500 loses date/time settings

Hi

I've bought a used E-500 which I'm generally very happy with - especially considering it's only taken about 2200 shots. However, when I take out the battery for charging, it loses it's date/time settings and I need to re-enter the current date/time.

Is this normal, is it a fault, or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks

Mario

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,949
Does it reset if

does it return to factory default if you take the battery out for just a moment, or when the battery is left out overnight for charging.

There is an internal battery? capacitor? that holds a charge for a while, but it normally won't last a full 24 hrs. If the camera is loosing settings overnight, a second battery will help, as you always have a charged one to swap out. But if the camera looses settings right away, there is a fault- the battery/capacitor has failed... hope that is of some help
--
Art P

Select images may be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sigvarius/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecropia_grove/

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
How long do you leave the battery out?

mariomirabile wrote:

when I take out the battery for charging, it loses it's date/time
settings and I need to re-enter the current date/time.

Is this normal, is it a fault, or am I just doing something wrong?

How long are you leaving the battery out? The camera should keep the information at least a day before it is lost, and the internal circuit recharges when the battery is in the camera.

If you pop the battery out for a minute, and put it back in and it still loses time, then it has a problem.

On E-500 and after it's a <24hr capacitor...

Art_P wrote:

There is an internal battery? capacitor? that holds a charge for a
while, but it normally won't last a full 24 hrs.

For the record, everything after and including the E-500 uses a capacitor that lasts less than a day.

However, the E-1 and E-300 used a non-user-replaceable rechargeable battery which would keep a charge for 3 months without a BLM-1 in the camera (when it was new).

If only Oly had a user-replaceable lithium battery instead like most computers.

EHerman Regular Member • Posts: 108
Same problem in my E-330...

...which was purchased new a couple of years ago, was OK at the outset, but began early on to lose date/time with each battery change. It's not a matter of delayed battery swap. It happens even if it's without the battery for just a second or two.

I guess the battery/capacitor that Art P referred to is faulty. My problem came on while the camera was still under warranty, but I was never ready to send it back to Olympus and be without it for however long that would take. So I've gotten pretty efficient at resetting date/time with each battery change. It doesn't take long once you're prepared for it.

It is, though, an ongoing irritation, so I hope it's at least some small comfort to know you're not alone in this. (For me, the larger comfort is that the E-330 continues to take terrific pictures, and is a pleasure to use in all other respects.)

mariomirabile
OP mariomirabile Senior Member • Posts: 1,372
Re: Same problem in my E-330...

Thanks to all.

Yes, the problem does occur if the battery is out for any length of time...

Mario

aesch New Member • Posts: 3
Same problem with TZ-1

Camera was purchased new, is now several years old. Loss of time/date occurs when swapping in a fresh battery - a matter of just a few seconds. Panasonic advises that I need a new camera! If there's an internal battery, I'd like to change it. But disassembling the camera for a snark hunt doesn't seem like a good move, even though I have successfully changed out a cracked LCD screen.

rssarma
rssarma Veteran Member • Posts: 6,405
Yes, it's a fault...

...the camera's internal memory may be faulty. Try performing a factory reset, although I doubt this will work. I believe the camera may be due for a repair. Another thing you can try is to use the camera in burst mode and see how it behaves.
--
Raj Sarma
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rssarma
--
Follow me on Twitter: rssarma

Olympus enthusiasts from NYC Metro, join UKPSG:
http://snipurl.com/crc3n

rssarma's gear list:rssarma's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +5 more
Some cams use capacitor, some use a battery...

aesch wrote:

If there's an internal battery, I'd like to change it.

The thing is, it could be a capacitor instead. As I wrote above my E-300 uses a battery that lasts several months, but the E-330 uses a capacitor that lasts a day.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads