Question about Alaska Cruise Prep

Started Jun 18, 2009 | Discussions
Adeptjr Regular Member • Posts: 325
Question about Alaska Cruise Prep

I am heading to Alaska end of August on a cruise. I plan on going on a few tours while at port. One of the tours is for dog sled trip. I was just wondering if I need any special protection gear for my camera gear?

AdeptJR

5D Mark II
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/2.8L IS
100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

NickMJr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752
Re: Question about Alaska Cruise Prep

Adeptjr wrote:

I am heading to Alaska end of August on a cruise. I plan on going on
a few tours while at port. One of the tours is for dog sled trip. I
was just wondering if I need any special protection gear for my
camera gear?

AdeptJR

5D Mark II
24-70 f/2.8L
70-200 f/2.8L IS
100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

Dog Sleding in the middle of August? I lived in Alaska for many years, there is no snow in August.
Nick M

OP Adeptjr Regular Member • Posts: 325

Oh, I didn't know. I was just looking at the tour book that was online, but I don't get the official one until 30 days prior to the departure.

Keith Janson New Member • Posts: 5
Glaciers have snow

I did dogsledding last year in Skagway on July 29. Denver Glacier had enough snow. In fact, they said they had to move the camp higher the week before because it received a foot of new snow.

I had no special protection for my 40D and 24-70/2.8. I suppose you could need rain protection if they still operate in rain.

In case you don't know, the helicopters permit no bags of any kind. I put my lenses in a Goretex jacket with very large pockets.
--
Keith

NickMJr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,752
Re: Glaciers have snow

Keith Janson wrote:

I did dogsledding last year in Skagway on July 29. Denver Glacier
had enough snow. In fact, they said they had to move the camp higher
the week before because it received a foot of new snow.

I had no special protection for my 40D and 24-70/2.8. I suppose you
could need rain protection if they still operate in rain.

In case you don't know, the helicopters permit no bags of any kind.
I put my lenses in a Goretex jacket with very large pockets.
--
Keith

Yeah, I guess I was thinking of Skageway, I was thinking more of the Anchorage, Seward and Fairbanks area.

Nick M

weeks82 New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Glaciers have snow

There are other dog sled places where the sled is on wheels and on don't require snow.

Julio Balaguero Contributing Member • Posts: 601

I visited Skagway last August on a cruise and did the dog sled trip. They use special sleds with wheels which are used to train the dogs in the Summer time. These sleds hold 8-10 people each. This also brings funds which help to support the sled races in the winter.

It rains a lot in Skagway and the dirt roads they use get very muddy. I suggest that you wear a raicoat for you and a plastic bag for your camera gear. They will give a large plastic bag for the people in the front of the sled to protect them from the flying mud. The front of your lens will get some mud so protect it with a filter. They go up and down a mountain and you really appreciate the power of these dogs. I highly recommend this trip.

Best regards,

Julio

Julio Balaguero's gear list:Julio Balaguero's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
OP Adeptjr Regular Member • Posts: 325

Well, as I get closer to my Alaska Cruise I have been looking closer at the excursions. I think I am going to pass on the dog sled. I was looking forward to that, but to actual be pulled on the snow you have to take a helicopter, if you are over 250 pounds you have to pay 1.5 the price. So, at 6’4 and 260 it would cost me $750, nah, I am going to pass.

I was looking at an excursion in Juneau that is geared for photographers but when I looked at the website I was not that impressed to pay $250. At this point I looking at just walking around and take local transportation. Any suggestions for photo taking, the stops are; Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria.

Thank you for any suggestions

sparky52t Forum Member • Posts: 95

We took an Alaskan cruise last August and two excursions stand out for great photography. One was the Skagway railway that takes you all the way from Skagway to British Columbia. There are some breathtaking views if the weather's clear and some amazing vistas. (I understand you'll not be visiting Skagway but thought I'd toss this in anyway.)

The other is a trip to see a glacier up close. Our ship went through the Tracy Arm Fjord to visit a glacier and the entire experience was breathtakingly beautiful. Unfortunately it was breathtakingly wet and drizzly as well so I took most of my shots from our balcony or under an umbrella, out on deck.

We didn't have high expectations for Victoria but it was a warm, sunny day for our visit and it turned out to be a visually lovely, very friendly town

Enjoy and take lots of photos!

Mediahound Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

I'm also going a a cruise in August, but in Hawaii. I'm going to bring the 5DMKII, 24-70 and one prime lens. But, I can't decide which prime to bring. Either the 85 f1.2 or the 135 f2?

eyeu Contributing Member • Posts: 975

Going on Alaskan cruise in August and one of the stop is in Haines where there are two photo excursions. One is called "Glacier Point Wilderness Safari" and the other is "Guide's Choice Photography Discovery"....very difficult to get feedback from those who have taken them....do you know anything about these tours? Both are pricey and at the same time!
thanks...
Rick
--
http://www.eyeu.smugmug.com

eyeu's gear list:eyeu's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon G9 X Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Both of these sound good and I would like to know details about them too. I am planning a to Alaska for next summer.

eyeu wrote:

Going on Alaskan cruise in August and one of the stop is in Haines where there are two photo excursions. One is called "Glacier Point Wilderness Safari" and the other is "Guide's Choice Photography Discovery"....very difficult to get feedback from those who have taken them....do you know anything about these tours? Both are pricey and at the same time!
thanks...
Rick
--
http://www.eyeu.smugmug.com

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

MichielB. Regular Member • Posts: 347

I did a couple of mushing tours in Sweden and Norway and have brought my 20D and several lenses. If you have good balance (and handle your team properly) you can shoot quite well when mushing. I usually had rather strong teams so I couldn't trust my anchors a lot. Therefore I prefer to shoot while mushing, it's easier then braking and have the dogs yanking the sled. A must have is a low shot (20 cm) with a wide angle showing a ski and the snowspray.

So bring a wide. You probaly want some portrets of the dogs as well so bring some in the 100mm department. Landscapes are wide, so bring a medium tele for details.
--
May the vision be with you.

See profile for equipment

MichielB.'s gear list:MichielB.'s gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +12 more
Fantasy Photo Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Take a Body Cap

This isn't directly related to dog sledding, but I was on the Norwegian Pearl and my 1D Mk II would not fit into the safe in my cabin with the lens attached because the safe wasn't high enough. But I was able to fit everything into the safe if I removed the lens and laid the body on its back. Fortunately, I had a rear lens cap and a body cap, so I could keep the dust out of every thing after they were disassembled. This is kind of a minor issue, but if you can't put your expensive camera into your safe, you'll probably need to carry it with you any time you leave your cabin to reduce the chance of it getting stolen.
--
http://www.fantasy-photo.com

sparky52t Forum Member • Posts: 95

I'm sorry to say but I don't know about the two locations you mentioned. Our cruise included Skagway, Victoria, Tracey Arm Fjord, Ketchikan and Juneau. My only advice would be to bring foul weather gear for yourself and your camera. It rained hard the entire day we were in Ketchikan.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads