E-P2 photo leaked?

Started Jun 17, 2009 | Discussions
Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,466
E-P2 photo leaked?

No, but a very nice job by somebody.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1000&message=32165375

This may not be perfect, but much better than an Olympus imitation of the
G1 shape and design IMO. I feel very strongly about this.

Agree, Disagree?

Jan

HarjTT Senior Member • Posts: 1,048
Re: E-P2 photo leaked?

That pic looks like the back of an LC1/Digilux 2!

gdiver Regular Member • Posts: 430
-- hide signature --

I already preordered mine!

gdiver's gear list:gdiver's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic ZS200 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X +6 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 47,705
It's fake but...

I have to say I Like the concept Not sure it can be made that small.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d (Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Games Developer)
Andreas Feininger (1906-1999) 'Photographers — idiots, of which there are
so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great
photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. It’s
nothing but a matter of seeing, and thinking, and interest. That’s what
makes a good photograph.'

demvin New Member • Posts: 8

Lol, someone had problem drawing fake 3D buttons...
--
--
E-330, 14-54MKI,50F2,9-18,40-150MK1

AndySIII Junior Member • Posts: 34

Pretty impressive. I would actually buy this camera. I like the fact that it has a built-in flash. That is what I think is missing from the P1. As a matter of fact, the lack of a built-in flash is what kept me from considering to purchase a P1. I just think lugging a separate flash, no matter how small, goes against the idea of "compactness" which is one of the selling points of the P1.

Just my 2 Yen,
Andy

Plothole Contributing Member • Posts: 800

Err, isn't it a little silly having three command dials?

I definitely don't like the placement of the hotshoe. With any decent size flash gun the center of gravity would shift right to that corner.

The placement of the EVF seems to work. Though it does nevertheless add to the overall size of the camera. So maybe something like this is better for their second tier µ4:3 bodies that they've hinted at. (I'm fairly certain that the goal of the E-P# line will continue to be to produce as small of a camera as possible)

-- hide signature --

alt+230

TXforester Senior Member • Posts: 1,698
nice but...

I wouldn't have a pop up flash. The way the mock up is shown, the flash is exposed on the front and there is really no need for it to raise. It isn't gonna raise up that far anyway.

If you keep it fixed, then you can move the hot shoe over the top of the fixed flash and get it out of the way of the user's forehead. No accidental bumping of buttons on the flash. Also you won't have to worry about using up space that could limit the size of the EVF.

-- hide signature --

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I don't think they wanted me to say anything. It was just their way of having a bit of fun, the swines. Strange thing is they make such bloody good cameras.

Jay Miller Contributing Member • Posts: 937

Now I'd have bought that, especially if it had the G1 EVF and the GH1 sensor. Beautiful looking job.

Ehrik Veteran Member • Posts: 8,014
Looks prettier than my version

And more ergonomic, probably.

The third wheel is for ISO, I suppose?

It looks like it may be a bit crowded inside. Hot shoe and EVF e.g.
The flash needs a capacitor inside. But why not?

Glad to see more people wanting the same type of camera as I do. I would definitely be interested in this one.

Here's what put together to argue that it would seem possible to have a built-in EVF even with a 3" LCD for those who insist on that (I could accept a smaller LCD).

Just my two oere
Erik from Sweden

Plothole Contributing Member • Posts: 800
Re: nice but...

But the problem with not popping up the flash is that you run the risk of the lens barrel casting a shadow onto the image (especially if a hood was attached).

TXforester wrote:

I wouldn't have a pop up flash. The way the mock up is shown, the
flash is exposed on the front and there is really no need for it to
raise. It isn't gonna raise up that far anyway.

If you keep it fixed, then you can move the hot shoe over the top of
the fixed flash and get it out of the way of the user's forehead. No
accidental bumping of buttons on the flash. Also you won't have to
worry about using up space that could limit the size of the EVF.

-- hide signature --

alt+230

OP Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,466
Yes, a smaller LCD.

It could be 2". As far as the flash, if it will compromise the size....it should
be left out.

Try to please everyone and drop the ball.

Jan

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,477
It ain't perfect . . .

But it is close enough to what I need, that I would seriously consider it
--
Mayonnaise on white bread, mmmmm!

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://glenbarrington.smugmug.com/

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Charlene_S Senior Member • Posts: 1,829
Ditto!!!

I really would like a built in flash. Also like the all black model. The birdies in my back yard don't like light glinting off a silver body.
--
Charlene Ahrens

Charlene_S's gear list:Charlene_S's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
RRJackson
RRJackson Senior Member • Posts: 2,555
God, I hope not.

That thing is freakin' huge. In a perfect world the EP-2 would be even smaller than the EP-1. If that means no tripod socket at all, losing the hot shoe and getting rid of the video functions that's fine by me. Make it smaller. Keep making it smaller. When it makes old 110 cameras look bloated by comparison you're getting close.

OP Jan Chelminski Senior Member • Posts: 2,466
Think Minox, right? (nt)

-Jan

Jay Miller Contributing Member • Posts: 937
Re: It's fake but...

Raist3d wrote:

I have to say I Like the concept Not sure it can be made that
small.

The only thing limiting the size of the micro-4/3rds are the sensor and lenses. There appears to be no reason why Olympus couldn't have done it this way, in fact, it's possible if people were willing to give up AF, and lenses were all metal, lenses could be vastly smaller than they are now. Pentax's old 110 camera lenses support a 4/3rds size frame and they are about 3/4" across and not much thicker, at least for the 18mm and 24mm models. The old Pen 40mm f1.4 was much smaller than the current prime lenses. In those days, glass made up much of the lens volume. Today, even if the lens is slow (relatively) and has very small elements (example: Olympus 35mm f3.5 macro) the housing makes up a huge percentage of the volume.

Art Vandelay II Regular Member • Posts: 394

I like it, but I don't see how the hot shoe would fit above the EVF. Plus I don't like the hot shoe being off center. Finally, it may have a flash, but it would be more worthless than I think built in flashes already are in that position. Any kind of lens other than a pancake will cause a nasty shadow.

I think about the only thing that would work is moving the mode dial over next to the shutter, then have the flash pop out of the top right where the EVF is. The flash needs to get as far away from the lens as possible. I think a pop up is the only option.

Of course I seem to be in the minority that says ditch the flash, and add an EVF and I'm good to go.

Art Vandelay II's gear list:Art Vandelay II's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
RRJackson
RRJackson Senior Member • Posts: 2,555
Re: Think Minox, right? (nt)

There ya go!

They've actually made it smaller than I thought they could, but it's still a bit chunky. If the body could be a half-inch shorter and maybe an inch narrower we'd be really rolling, IMO. Maybe shift the lens away from the shutter and put it close to the other edge of the body. It's not symmetric and pretty that way, but it gives your right hand room to hold on to a smaller body without getting into real estate taken up by the lens.

Minor quibbles, though. They got it pretty much spot-on perfect, but I'd still love to see it get even smaller.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,477
I could do without the flash. . .

While I'm generally in favor of built in flashes, in this mock-up, it IS awfully close to the lens. (can you say excessive red-eye and harsh shadows?)

I can't see it being used in anything but an absolute emergency anyway. And you can always buy a $20 cheapie for emergencies. So if getting rid of the flash would make room for a better viewfinder (of any sort), I'd be willing to make that compromise.
--
Mayonnaise on white bread, mmmmm!

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://glenbarrington.smugmug.com/

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads