Andrew Wiard on switching to Nikon

Started Jun 9, 2009 | Discussions
Lihkin
Lihkin Senior Member • Posts: 2,700
Andrew Wiard on switching to Nikon
 Lihkin's gear list:Lihkin's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
MajStriker Contributing Member • Posts: 848
Re: Andrew Wiard on switching to Nikon

I like how he still calls it ASA instead of ISO...go digital, man, go digital.

-- hide signature --
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659

nikonboi wrote:

Pretty interesting to read his take on Nikon.

Just a point (oh oh, I'm defending Canon again ; ): the only real issue with shutter lag is consistency, not shortness. Why? Because the human eye/hand coordination eventually conquers any slight difference in "lags." It's almost impossible that we try to take of picture by reacting to it happening; we generally react by anticipating it happening (i.e. moment of decision). Moreover, you can't really measure shutter lag without measuring autofocus acquisition time.

There are things that shorter lags are good for. For instance, flash work, where a shorter lag and pre-flash sequence doesn't trigger "blinkers."

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (19 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Leos Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

Thom Hogan wrote:

the only real issue with shutter lag is consistency, not shortness. Why? Because
the human eye/hand coordination eventually conquers any slight
difference in "lags."

Which is one of the reasons switching between Canon 1 series and 5D is so frustating. Still the mind here prefers to adapt to virtaully no lag rather than "some" lag.

Moreover, you can't really measure shutter lag without measuring autofocus
acquisition time.

Hmm.. I for one (and I am sure Im not alone) have seperated AF and shutter. I focus first - then shoot.

There are things that shorter lags are good for. For instance, flash
work, where a shorter lag and pre-flash sequence doesn't trigger
"blinkers."

Interesting point .. never thought of that before.

mayonaka Senior Member • Posts: 1,338

Pretty interesting read, but why is he dogging the 17-35 Nikon lens so much? I don't think it's a bad lens myeself. Yes, it distorts wide open on the wide 17mm end, but I didn't expect it not to, that's what high ISO capabilities are for. I think he needs to learn how to use his 17-35 before dogging it. Yes, they need to update it, but it works superbly on my D700 and I think that's the main point he got wrong in his review. At above f/4 the 17-35 starts to sing and for landscape work it really works at f/11 to f/16. It's a wide angle, yes and it works, but maybe I'm trying to defend my recent purchase too, I don't know. Either way, I think he's half right. They need to update that lens, but I also think he needs to learn how to use it properly with the D700 imo.

Here are two images to defend the lens, although they aren't the GREATEST photos ever, they do show how the lens can work well in my opinion at least.

p0tempkin Contributing Member • Posts: 648
Great review which verifies what I've been saying...

...for quite some time. The Canon 5D series is a pro-level sensor in an amateur-level body. The D700 is a pro-body through and through.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads