best raw converter program? adobe camera raw seems to default to overexposed images

Started May 30, 2009 | Discussions
argh69 Regular Member • Posts: 310
best raw converter program? adobe camera raw seems to default to overexposed images
-- hide signature --

i am using adobe camera raw v4.6 for cs3 and it simply brings up all the images over exposed and is annoying me because i cannot get the colors to match the jpeg versions.

i was just wondering if there is a better raw converter program out there because my intentions are simply to get the sharpness and white balance correct and convert the image to jpeg for noise ninja to apply noise reduction if the picture is taken at high iso.

i have tried sony's idc and rawtherape but but both those versions did not convert into jpeg so well because when noise ninja was applied there are some bright green noise specs in the images.

i also have a general question regarding raw. when you open the raw file in a program, does it automatically display the raw file with the settings the camera had or without any settings applied? for example, i had +3 sharpness in the camera settings. would the raw file be displayed with this sharpness setting, meaning i should not apply any more sharpness in the program or would it be displayed without any of the camera settings at all?

hipflask
hipflask Senior Member • Posts: 1,647
Re: best raw converter program? adobe camera raw seems to default to overexposed ima

I dont use other raw converters other than lightroom so cant offer you advice on a choice. what I can say though is have you tried setting all your processing import parameters to 0? I found this made a massive difference to the workflow with lightroom.

your +3 sharpness should not be touched by lightroom unless as I said the import aprameters are set at something other than 0.
--
greg.
still somewhere on the learning curve..........but loving every minute !

albums
a350 - http://hipflask.smugmug.com/
fz50 - http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/hipflaskorama

hipflask's gear list:hipflask's gear list
Samsung WB250F
KEITH-C Forum Pro • Posts: 14,131
Re: best raw converter program? adobe camera raw seems to default

Sony's own RAW converter does recognise the various in-camera generated image tags such as sharpness but other programs ignore them although most will use the camera selected WB.

Keith-C

Murph43 Regular Member • Posts: 224

I had a similar problem with CS3 and ACR, look at your default settings for opening the RAW files, mine was set to always open with brightness set at 50.

Changed that to zero and the problem disappeared

Murph
--
my web page
http://www.incidentlight.co.uk
pbase samples
http://www.pbase.com/murph4306

OP argh69 Regular Member • Posts: 310
-- hide signature --

that makes sense. where is this setting at in the program? also, i noticed that even converting the jpeg to the highest quality jpeg the file is smaller than the jpeg file that the camera creates so i am under the impression that too much compression occurs or something and i lose image quality from the raw.

hipflask
hipflask Senior Member • Posts: 1,647

ARGH69 wrote:

download an untouched raw file from the cam into lightroom then go to develop on right hand side, next to library - set all the sliders to 0, tint, contrast brightness etc..(dont forget sharpening and noise reduction.) then open develop in the top left files go down to "default settings" this should bring up a screen to allow you to permanently set your parameters to 0 when you download shots in the future.
--
greg.
still somewhere on the learning curve..........but loving every minute !

hipflask's gear list:hipflask's gear list
Samsung WB250F
OP argh69 Regular Member • Posts: 310
-- hide signature --

i have adobe cs3 with adobe camera raw 4.6. i do not have lightroom.

Stephen Carpenter Contributing Member • Posts: 629

In the rhs of ACR you should see the Basic menu bar. In the RH corner of the menu bar is a very small icon which when you click on it will give you the option "save new camera raw defaults".

Stephen Carpenter's gear list:Stephen Carpenter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +9 more
vwgn Senior Member • Posts: 2,106
-- hide signature --

LR/ACR displays my a200 shots perfectly, but since I just got an a700 it does this as well. Is there a way to set the parameter to just one camera (say per the exif data) on import? I routinely use both bodies for a shoot, and load all files into one folder, then import session, so they are mixed. My a200 files are spot on in camera, not underexposed, so its defiantley the differenc of cameras/rendering of files by some denominator in ACR..

Also if your workflow allows it, you can just do a straight conversion of the files with sony lightbox to tiffs.. all camera settings are recognized and when loaded into lightroom they are fine. This is not an option for me, but something I discovered when I got my a700 and wondered wtf was going on. LR output is fine, just annoying to change the exposure/brightness

Stephen Carpenter Contributing Member • Posts: 629

vwgn wrote:

LR/ACR displays my a200 shots perfectly, but since I just got an a700
it does this as well. Is there a way to set the parameter to just one
camera (say per the exif data) on import?

Under Edit-> Preferences-> Presets there's a "Make defaults specific to a camera serial number" option. Does setting this help?

Stephen Carpenter's gear list:Stephen Carpenter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads