Fuji S5 successor, new rumors again....

Started May 27, 2009 | Discussions
Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,256
Fuji S5 successor, new rumors again....

Hi,

on a German forum there are new rumors: somebody has got the information from a "reliable source" that Fuji is launching an S5 successor shortly, no more details than that. Has anybody here got more information?

Cheers
Dirk

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a7R II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +3 more
apertureX Junior Member • Posts: 28
Re: Fuji S5 successor, new rumors again....

Can't wait for a new Fuji DSLR!

Pkphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 528
-- hide signature --

Can you translate for us in english what exactly you have found...

OP Dirk W Veteran Member • Posts: 3,256

"As I was told today from reliable source, there will shortly be released a successor to the S5. I cannot present any data and features. I just thought this news would be interesting to some people."

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a7R II Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +3 more
Fred Phillips Senior Member • Posts: 1,063

NONSENSE!!!

Dirk W wrote:

"As I was told today from reliable source, there will shortly be
released a successor to the S5. I cannot present any data and
features. I just thought this news would be interesting to some
people."

OldMaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,813

I assume that the "NONSENSE" post has categorical affirmation that their will be no successor to the S5?

Anyone with such a forthright proclamation clearly has information we are not privy to..?

Please direct us to the Fuji release that states unreservedly that the S5 is the last Fuji DSLR...I look forward to reading it.

If you don't have this statement from Fuji you are as guilty as any other rumour mongers...

Just FACTS please, and only FACTS!!

bruce lorenz Regular Member • Posts: 177

I would love a new Fuji DSLR!

bl

bullhead Regular Member • Posts: 409

Fingers crossd it's a FF 12-16 meg, I'd be a very happy man if there was the case !

bruce lorenz Regular Member • Posts: 177

bullhead wrote:

Fingers crossd it's a FF 12-16 meg, I'd be a very happy man if there
was the case !

and I'd be the 1st to sell my canon 5D2s!.......and move back to fuji!
bl

joepennant Contributing Member • Posts: 580
Re: If there is a successor...

I can hear the whining now....

"... but it's ONLY a 10mp!"

".... it's slow!"

"... the images are soft!"

".. the Nikon batteries wont work with it!"

"... the menus are horrible!"

".. the buffer is too small!"

".... it is waaaay too expensive! When are the prices coming down???"

etc etc etc

I'll probably be saying half those things myself.

-- hide signature --

Joe Pennant

Admin, Flickr Fuji s5 Pro Group

http://www.flickr.com/groups/fujis5/

Walter S Matthews Veteran Member • Posts: 3,311
My new self-appointed positon

Not knowing anything is a luxury that allows me to speculate freely.

As the new manager of the Fujifilm "successor to the S5 program" , some things are obvious
1. It will have the D700 body and basic electronics format layout
2. A fujifilm detector
3. NOw it gets interesting, what kind of sensor

Fujifilm has been experimenting with a single detector site delivering two different signal levels and have sold several low end consumer cams with this sensor

Has it worked, is it working?

Two options

My preferance would be the current S5 dual sensor that gives me complete immunity from blown highlights covering a FF sensor.

I dont have any information on how well the other concept works other than they currently are shipping several consumer cams with it.

Either way a FF 14 MP cam is in the offering with a minimum or 2 F stops more DR than the competition and having Fujifilm colors

There,......

Thats done, would you guys there in the factory please have it ready for demo by September and final delivery in volume before Xmas.

Oh well

That's what I want but so far, no one has asked me to head up the Fujifilm development program.

Black Knight Jack Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: Battery and Menus

joepennant wrote:

"... but it's ONLY a 10mp!"

For my work, I'm more than happy with the S5's resolution.

".... it's slow!"

But I can still chase the bride and groom all day with the ultra slow S3 and a slow S5. The new S can't be any slower than these I suppose ;P

"... the images are soft!"

Not something that can't be fixed in Photoshop.

".. the Nikon batteries wont work with it!"

This is a real bummer. A super retarded decision on Fuji's part.

"... the menus are horrible!"

I wouldn't call them horrible. But after using the D90 for several months, I think Fujifilm must make some significant improvements on the next S's menus.

".. the buffer is too small!"

To me, size is not really the problem. Speed is the real issue here. UDMA support might help.

".... it is waaaay too expensive! When are the prices coming down???"

If the new S:

1) has the same DR as the S5,
2) is based on the D300 body,
3) is sold at around the same price as the D300,

I'll bite a year after it is released (because the price would be halved by then.)

Cheers

EverStaR Regular Member • Posts: 282
Sincee I designed it for them ;)

I'll post it again as it took a little work on my part to put this together.

Here is my Fuji FF Ideas to put Fuji at the forfront again with inovative flare and a new controversial technology called virtual imaging that would likely leave many to debate for a good year or more. lol oh well, at least thats wishful thinking on my part.

This has not really changed for those who have looked before.

http://radphotos.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=9

-- hide signature --

Its all in the hands and mind, not the camera!
Mark

EverStaR Regular Member • Posts: 282
PS - Attention Fuji

Fuji, build it and they shall buy it!

-- hide signature --

Its all in the hands and mind, not the camera!
Mark

boinkphoto
boinkphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 990
Funny...

That's funny, the last post was definitive that there won't be!

I'll believe it when I see it (and when I do, I'll be a very happy man)!

-- hide signature --
 boinkphoto's gear list:boinkphoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-T2
BigPixel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,371
Yeah, we'll all buy it...

... all twelve of us.....(wink)

Its ultimately a business decission based on sales volume, that and falling too far back in developing new technology to be competitive. The S-Pros were all great cameras but with only a small niche market, basically portrait and wedding. Much as generalists who shoot sports, landscape etc. liked the S2,S3 and S5; its real excellence was with fleshtone, tonal volume and the extra 3 stops of dynamic range it afforded.

With Nikon's release of the D3 much of Fuji's claim to better DR over other DSLRs was narrowed to a point that Fuji was fast loosing its uniqueness in the pro DSLR market.

I own the S2, S3 and S5 and so don't think I'm a drive-by naysayer. I'm not. I also wish another Fuji Pro was in the works but it really looks as if this ain't gonna happen, at least in the forseeable future.

-- hide signature --

BigPixel / Hawaii

mmmmmmmm Senior Member • Posts: 2,666
Re: Yeah, we'll all buy it...
-- hide signature --

I owned the S1, S2, S3, and S5. I still have two S5's and one S3. These cameras have paid the bills for me for some time now. I have owned 2-D200's and I can honestly say I didn't like either one of them. I am now shooting with the D700 and I REALLY LIKE THIS CAMERA. iF THEY COME OUT WITH A D700x i WILL BY THIS CAMERA ALSO. iI doubt that I will buy anymore Fujis even though I like them also. Nikon is going to be tough to beat.
respectfully,
David miller

mmmmmmmm's gear list:mmmmmmmm's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
Focus 3 Regular Member • Posts: 351
Say What...

David,

You just got my attention.

So you would be happy with an all D700 system?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Mama They TOOK My Kodachrome...

mmmmmmmm Senior Member • Posts: 2,666
Re: Say What...
-- hide signature --

i sold both of my D200's, I thought the files did not look as natural as the S5 for portraits. I have been quite pleased with my D700 on the other hand.

As soon as my current S5's wear out I will probably replace them with another D700 or better, D700x. I doubt seriously that Fuji will have another pro caliber camera.

My next purchase will be the new Pocket Wizards that allow full remote iTTL. You can get the pocket wizard for Canon and sometime soon they will have the Nikon modules available. I have seen the Canon pocket wizards work-I was totally impressed.

Respectfully,
David Miller

mmmmmmmm's gear list:mmmmmmmm's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
RoccoGalatioto
RoccoGalatioto Contributing Member • Posts: 922

I began with an S1 Pro back in 2001 and then went with the S2 Pro. The best colors I have ever got with any digital camera. Believe me I have been in Canon and Nikons camps and also had an Olympos 300. The only one that came close was the D1X. I just needed better bodies and more pixels. An FF Fuji with their sensor but with more pixels would surely be a tempting camera.
--
Rocco Galatioto

RoccoGalatioto's gear list:RoccoGalatioto's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads