Velbon Ultra Maxi M for 450D

Started May 16, 2009 | Discussions
theberserker New Member • Posts: 5
Velbon Ultra Maxi M for 450D

yo, all.

I haven't had a tripod yet, so I'm doing a little research on web. I really like aforementioned Velbon because it seems very good travelers deal.

But here's the thing that I don't understand. Obviously it has a head already on it. Will my Canon 450D fit right away, or I need something else? Are those tripod mounts universal for all brands?

thanx

richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,889
completely standardised

theberserker wrote:

yo, all.

I haven't had a tripod yet, so I'm doing a little research on web. I
really like aforementioned Velbon because it seems very good
travelers deal.
But here's the thing that I don't understand. Obviously it has a head
already on it. Will my Canon 450D fit right away, or I need something
else? Are those tripod mounts universal for all brands?

Yes they are. Every camera from digital SLR down to the smallest pocket camera, uses the same standard for mounting onto a tripod: a 1/4" x 20 socket.

A larger (3/4") thread standard is also sometimes used for mounting removable tripod heads, onto tripods - but almost never for mounting cameras onto tripod heads.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
OP theberserker New Member • Posts: 5
Re: completely standardised

thank you very much. now only decision between Velbon Ultra Maxi-M and Ultra Luxi-M has to be made

richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,889
Re: completely standardised

theberserker wrote:

thank you very much. now only decision between Velbon Ultra Maxi-M
and Ultra Luxi-M has to be made

I have looked into these models too, and always hesitated up to now. I carry an Ultrapod (tabletop tripod that you can also bind onto things) when travelling. I also have a Velbon monopod, the Ultrastick 50LX, which uses the same leg telescoping mechanism - which is really clever, fast to operate, with no projections (so slips easily in and out of luggage). I carry Velcro straps to fix this onto a convenient chair, branch, railing etc as necessary.

I am just not 100% sure about the solidity of these tripods, for my own dSLR needs. Probably perfect for a compact. I seldom use long lenses, mainly fairly wide and light ones. But I have a Pentax K10d, which is a bit heavier than many dSLRs, and I want ideally to use the tripod with a panorama bracket, which demands more overall rigidity.

Good luck with your choice.

regards, RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,426
Luxi and Maxi Models

I have had an older Velbon Ultra Luxi-SF tripod for a couple of years. I bought it for travel when I didn't want to take a larger tripod.

I think that the main difference between the Luxi-SF and the Luxi-M is that the -M has a better (and heavier) head. The difference between the Maxi and Luxi models is that the Maxi has thinner leg sections. This means that the Maxi is lighter, but the lowest leg section is only about the thickness of a pencil which must have a significant effect on stability.

The Luxi model will hold your 450D and a reasonably light lens. I wouldn't want to use it with a heavy telephoto lens. I normally use mine with a Canon 20D and 17-85 lens which weigh about 1.5kg in total.

I do not use mine with the centre column extended because it worsens the stability a lot. This means that I have to go down on one knee. I sometimes use my camera bag and straps to hold it down to give more stability.

Provided that you are prepared to put up with the load restrictions and reduced height, this is an excellent very small travel tripod.
--
Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads