MOV to AVI file conversion

Started May 12, 2009 | Discussions
vbjeff Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: MOV to AVI file conversion

To get the sound working, you need to start the VCP Settings application. Click on the MOV tab, and change the Playback option to use "Set MOV to use Haali's splitter" I forgot that I had to do that to get the sound working, sorry I didn't mention it earlier.

I think the option you select may vary depending on the MOV files and the operating system. If one option is not working, then you can try another one. The changes work on the fly, so you don't have to restart your computer.

zkee New Member • Posts: 21

vbjeff wrote:

To get the sound working, you need to start the VCP Settings
application. Click on the MOV tab, and change the Playback option to
use "Set MOV to use Haali's splitter" I forgot that I had to do that
to get the sound working, sorry I didn't mention it earlier.

-- hide signature --

that's indeed exactly what I had to adjust in order to get the sound of my SX10 movie files running in WMM. Now all is as it should be, no more converting hassle, just dragging & dropping and editing all I want.

Thanks again vbjeff, this really made my day (and I'm sure Claudia's day too, once she gets it working

regards

zkee

John Macri
John Macri Contributing Member • Posts: 655

Glad it helped you out. I just stumbled on the feature, would be nice if Canon publicized it more.

John Macri's gear list:John Macri's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000
Rutger Yorke Junior Member • Posts: 32

I've started to use Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 to edit my MOV files, but there is no 30 fps option. The closest option is 29.97 fps. Why isn't there a 30 fps option? If I choose 29.97, will this give any degradation of the final output?

archiebald Senior Member • Posts: 1,499

29.97 fps is NTSC standard for TV viewing in the US, Canada & Japan.

25 fps is the PAL system used by most of the world.

24 fps is used by cinema

30fps is what the computer industry uses.

I'm still using Vegas 7 - this may be the same for you.

From "Render As...", click on "Save As Type" and you will have the option to select avi, wmv, mpg etc. Depending on the type selected, you can then edit the template for 30fps IN SOME INSTANCES. For example, there are options for 30 fps output when wmv and mpg are selected, but not for avi.

Not sure but I don't think 30 to 29.97 will cause any issues. Certainly going from NTSC video at 29.97 to 30 fps for computer playback has never caused me any problems.

Personally I HATE working with video (but I have to sometimes in my job) simply because of all the variations of codecs, display formats etc. Its an absolute nightmare.

Rich625 Contributing Member • Posts: 744

Rutger Yorke wrote:

I've started to use Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 to edit my MOV files, but
there is no 30 fps option. The closest option is 29.97 fps. Why isn't
there a 30 fps option? If I choose 29.97, will this give any
degradation of the final output?

-- hide signature --

When yo go to "Render As" and you select a format, it should have the 30 fps properties. If not when you go to File -> Render As select the "Custom Box", then the "Video" tab, then you can select a frame rate depending on the template and/or format you selected.

Here is a hint. The frame rate is normally correct in Vegas when it comes to ouputing the file.

Rich

Peter Gordon 01701 Forum Member • Posts: 84

The Zoom Browser EX crashes for me when I try to create a avi file from the HD MOV file created by my PowerShot SD780 IS. I think the choice of MOV as the HD output is stupid. I think that AVI would have been a much better choice but at least if they are hung up on MOV for some reason a utility should have been included that could convert the MOV file as there is no sound when I play it on my western digital HD TV viewer. It says it cannot recognize the audio as a non-standard codec is used.

Peter Gordon 01701 Forum Member • Posts: 84

Actually Any Video Converter Free works great. Thanks for posting this earlier in this thread.

ClaudiaInIowa wrote:

I've just started using the latest version of ZoomBrowser EX to
covert my SX1 HD videos. So far the results look promising but I
haven't fully tested the output yet.

Use the export movie option and select AVI. I've been using the
1280x720 option.

I can't find the "export movie option". I have the latest version of ZoomBrowser (6.3.1.8).

archiebald wrote:

29.97 fps is NTSC standard for TV viewing in the US, Canada & Japan.

25 fps is the PAL system used by most of the world.

24 fps is used by cinema

30fps is what the computer industry uses.

I'm still using Vegas 7 - this may be the same for you.

From "Render As...", click on "Save As Type" and you will have the
option to select avi, wmv, mpg etc. Depending on the type selected,
you can then edit the template for 30fps IN SOME INSTANCES. For
example, there are options for 30 fps output when wmv and mpg are
selected, but not for avi.

Thanks for that!

What's the logic behind having the 30 fps option only for some of the file types?

It seems a bit conservative to me to stick to the PAL and NTSC frame rates. What's the relevance of these when playing the movies on a computer or a HDTV?

macten52 Regular Member • Posts: 209

Hey Claude. If you read this...I am also from Iowa. I live in Sioux City.

Rutger Yorke wrote:

Thanks for that!
What's the logic behind having the 30 fps option only for some of the
file types?
It seems a bit conservative to me to stick to the PAL and NTSC frame
rates. What's the relevance of these when playing the movies on a
computer or a HDTV?

You don't have to "stick" to those rates, there are certain options you can change, it's just that 30fps does not come up in every option (at least on my Vegas 7.0)

Rutger Yorke wrote:

ClaudiaInIowa wrote:

I've just started using the latest version of ZoomBrowser EX to
covert my SX1 HD videos. So far the results look promising but I
haven't fully tested the output yet.

Use the export movie option and select AVI. I've been using the
1280x720 option.

I can't find the "export movie option". I have the latest version of
ZoomBrowser (6.3.1.8).

Are you joking?

It's there, right on your screen.

Select a movie, then click on the Export button in the top left section of the screen, then select Export Movie, then select your settings?

OP ClaudiaInIowa Junior Member • Posts: 26
Re: MOV to AVI file conversion-More help Please

-vbjeff wrote:

-- hide signature --

that's indeed exactly what I had to adjust in order to get the sound of my SX10 movie files running in WMM. Now all is as it should be, no more converting hassle, just dragging & dropping and editing all I want.

Thanks again vbjeff, this really made my day (and I'm sure Claudia's day too, once she gets it working

regards

zkee

Thanks for the help and link. I am having trouble when I go to the website finding the free download. When I click on the link from this forumn where do I go on the link to find the software? Could someone help me again please.

zkee New Member • Posts: 21
Re: MOV to AVI file conversion-More help Please

ClaudiaInIowa wrote:

Thanks for the help and link. I am having trouble when I go to the
website finding the free download. When I click on the link from
this forumn where do I go on the link to find the software? Could
someone help me again please.

-- hide signature --

This form doesn't allow hotlinking to the download location of the actual program executable, "probably upon the hoster's request or due to spam". Bummer.

So try this: go to http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5326 and on that page, select your nearest physical download location to reach the downloadable file.

Re: MOV to AVI file conversion-More help Please-now Windows Explorer

ClaudiaInIowa wrote:

Thanks for the help and link. I am having trouble when I go to the
website finding the free download. When I click on the link from
this forumn where do I go on the link to find the software? Could
someone help me again please.

-- hide signature --

This form doesn't allow hotlinking to the download location of the actual program executable, "probably upon the hoster's request or due to spam". Bummer.

So try this: go to http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5326 and on that page, select your nearest physical download location to reach the downloadable file.

I have this downloaded...made the change on the setting as suggested and all seemed to be working. Except.. now when I try to access My Pictures with Windows Explorer.. My pictures... a folder name.. and then a subfolder the system freezes. When I hit the x in the corner to end out and go back into My Pictures there is nothing there. Just a blank screen. Any suggestions.

Re: MOV to AVI file conversion-More help Please-now Windows Explorer

ClaudiaInIowa wrote:

I have this downloaded...made the change on the setting as suggested
and all seemed to be working. Except.. now when I try to access My
Pictures with Windows Explorer.. My pictures... a folder name.. and
then a subfolder the system freezes. When I hit the x in the corner
to end out and go back into My Pictures there is nothing there. Just
a blank screen. Any suggestions.
--

If you are viewing thumbnails when your system freezes, you may need to turn off the thumbnail option for MOV files. You can do this by starting the VCP Settings application, and clicking on the MOV tab, then select the "disable thumbnails" option. If this works, you may be able to turn the thumbnails back on after a future update to VCP.

John Macri
John Macri Contributing Member • Posts: 655

The sound problem with .MOV files has prevented me from buying a WD TV player.
I can't believe they haven't corrected this in a firmware release.

John Macri's gear list:John Macri's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000
Re: MOV to AVI file conversion--- Working!

ClaudiaInIowa wrote:

I have this downloaded...made the change on the setting as suggested
and all seemed to be working. Except.. now when I try to access My
Pictures with Windows Explorer.. My pictures... a folder name.. and
then a subfolder the system freezes. When I hit the x in the corner
to end out and go back into My Pictures there is nothing there. Just
a blank screen. Any suggestions.
--

If you are viewing thumbnails when your system freezes, you may need to turn off the thumbnail option for MOV files. You can do this by starting the VCP Settings application, and clicking on the MOV tab, then select the "disable thumbnails" option. If this works, you may be able to turn the thumbnails back on after a future update to VCP.

I want to thank everyone for their help on this. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled it. The first time I had checked real player and decided I didn't need to use it. This time all worked. I did make the setting change again. Haven't moved these into movie or dvd maker yet to keep (except for a quick test that worked), but all play as a slide show through windows explorer. I will keep the thumbnails suggestion in mind just in case. I think now I'll be happier with my SX10. Have had 4 memory card type errors with it on four different Promaster cards.. but that is another thread. Camera is back with Canon. Hope they resolve it. Am hoping for a replacement camera.

zkee wrote:

vbjeff wrote:

Glad I could help. It took me a while to figure out how to get things working the way I wanted, and now it works great. I was concerned about having to use mov files instead of the older avi files, but now I can easily use both formats.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads