picture style setting to look like fuji provia

Started May 8, 2009 | Discussions
mhpeterson New Member • Posts: 1
picture style setting to look like fuji provia

does any one know what to set the picture style setting in the sharpening,color, saturation and contrast scales to make the jpegs look like fuji provia...i want my jpegs to look like when i use to shoot provia....thank you

KS Chew Regular Member • Posts: 470
Can't help you, but...

... in the link below, there are many picture styles created by other photographers. Some of them try to mimic RDP and RVP.

http://www.dchome.net/viewthread.php?tid=627601&extra=page%3D1

PicOne
PicOne Veteran Member • Posts: 6,931
Re: picture style setting to look like fuji provia

I think you'll have a tough time getting to a Provia look with picture style settings only.

I'd suggest either figuring out how to within photoshop and create an action for this, or take a look at eg. Alien Skin Exposure as a add-on.

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/exposure_examples.aspx

mhpeterson wrote:

does any one know what to set the picture style setting in the
sharpening,color, saturation and contrast scales to make the jpegs
look like fuji provia...i want my jpegs to look like when i use to
shoot provia....thank you

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

ne beginner Senior Member • Posts: 2,147
There's a Velvia PS plug in over at FM ...

... works well and gives you a lot of options. There might be a stand alone version as well.

I have noticed that simply changing camera picture setting can make a big difference ... I don't shoot jpegs, but I think the results are about the same when converting from RAW. For example, in ACR, selecting landscape really makes colors pop ... too much for me, but perhaps more what you are looking for. I think you can get the same result if you are shooting jpegs by selecting landscape as a picture setting. If you have not experimented there, try different one and see what effect you like.

Another suggestion, if you're talking outdoors, is to use a polorizer. Cuts down glare and brings out colors.

Not sure if you mean in screen or printed ... either can be influenced by things like monitor calibration, printer profiles, etc.

ne beginner's gear list:ne beginner's gear list
Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
maiaibing Veteran Member • Posts: 4,551
DxO film plug-in is what you need

DxO has some photo plug-ins that work very well. I do not use them much myself, but here is that distinct "look & feel":

maiaibing's gear list:maiaibing's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +6 more
Samuel Gao Regular Member • Posts: 436
Re: DxO film plug-in is what you need

awesome! How'd you get that color scheme? is it from DxO? I know it'll work on some images, but not on others... I have tried many ways to "mimc film coloring" and yet, I'm still on the search for "the one". I have a provia/velvia action set, but it seems to be "too much". I have Nik Software, and though it's good, it's still not quite what I'm looking for!

Anyways, Let me know your processing techniques! (Btw, image seems under exposed)

Bruce Wilson Forum Member • Posts: 67
What film look is that supposed to be?

Not the Velvia 50 (@40) I know.
--
Bruce Wilson, not a pro
http://science.uvu.edu/wilson

coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,943

That doesnt look like Provia, that's for sure.

maiaibing wrote:

DxO has some photo plug-ins that work very well. I do not use them
much myself, but here is that distinct "look & feel":

coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 3,943

You're not gonna find it. None of those software plugins, or whatever, get it right.

Samuel Gao wrote:

ways to "mimc film coloring" and yet, I'm still on the search for
"the one".

Try it out

Samuel Gao wrote:

awesome! How'd you get that color scheme? is it from DxO?

This is the Velvia 50 plug-in straight from DxO (I'll post the original photo further down)

Anyways, Let me know your processing techniques! (Btw, image seems
under exposed)

I darkened the picture a little to make it look a little more "60's"-like.

You can download and try DxO film pack for free if you go to their site (no affiliation whatsoever). There are also many samples to view there.

Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +6 more
My orginal and two DxO film pack variations

Original:

Velvia 50 & darkened:

Provia 100 vs straight through DxO:

DxO also does the film gain if you want that (not applied here)

Good luck!

Not quite Velvia 50

Bruce Wilson wrote:

Not the Velvia 50 (@40) I know.

Actually I think the plug-in is quite good. This was also darkened. Look at the DxO website for more samples.

coudet wrote:

That doesnt look like Provia, that's for sure.

Good - because its not!

MPetrich Regular Member • Posts: 457
Velvia/provia Photoshop action

There's a pretty good Photoshop action at Actions Central,

http://www.atncentral.com/

There's also one for Elements

-Mickey

Samuel Gao Regular Member • Posts: 436
Re: Velvia/provia Photoshop action

Yeah the Veliva/Provia... sucks...

JeanMichel Gariepy Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Expired Provia/velvia Look

I don't know how to describe it, but I've seen a lot of photographs on flickr that use expired Provia/Velvia with fast lenses, that look like they were shot through a blue filter. Does anyone know how to get that look on actual film or digitally? I shoot both.

Denis Allam Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: picture style setting to look like fuji provia

yes you can get the settings you require in Nik Colour Efex Pro 3 it comes as a photoshop plugin. It has Provia 100f & 400f and various other settings from Fuji Agfa Kodak

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads