Kodak ESP Printers - opinions

Started May 6, 2009 | Discussions
interbear
interbear Regular Member • Posts: 274
Kodak ESP Printers - opinions

Hi all - I'm impressed by Kodak's claims re their low cost printing (lower ink usage and cartridge costs than other printers) and photo quality (non fade pigment ink) of their ESP printers.

Sounds too good to be true though - any user opinions out there?. I'm looking at the ESP 5 and ESP 7 specifically.

I tried the printing forum but discussion there tends to be focused on higher end printers that are out of my price range, so I thought I'd try you folks on the Kodak forum!

My typical print use is colour photos either 6x4 or max A4 paper size.

Thanks.

DJMusic Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: Kodak ESP Printers - opinions

I have the 5500 (predecessor to the ESP line), and have been very impressed. The cost claims appear to be in line and the results are very nice. I'd stack the Kodak against any competitor. Unless you're getting really close to the picture (think magnifying glass), you'll not tell it from the lab photo.

DJMusic's gear list:DJMusic's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
dtgaf Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

I have a 5300 and an ESP-3. Output quality is very good. They are optimized for Kodak paper. Photo print quality had deteriorated somewhat on both but Kodak replaced the print head and that solved the problem. I think their ink usage estimates are a bit optimistic, but they are still very good and the ink prices blow away the competition. I am a teacher and do lots of printing--class sets--and the printers have proved to be very reliable for printing large quantities for over a year.
--
PBASE supporter Tom
http://www.pbase.com/tgaf
Kodak Z1485IS, Z1015IS, Sony A700

vongruetz Junior Member • Posts: 38

I also have a 5500 (but have been eying the ESP 7 for its wireless capabilities) and I have to agree here with what everyone else has been saying. Kodak's claims are a bit on the optimistic side, but not too far off. I have been going through ink a lot faster than I did in the past, but that's simply because I print so much more now than I ever have before. Photos are extremely easy to print and come out looking gorgeous. And my printer has the duplexer in the back, so it can easily print on both sides of the paper. Recently I've been printing out a lot of books pdf books, and it's awesome.

One more thing. Kodak's claims for costs are based on the $9.99 for black ink and $14.99 for one color ink cartridge. I get the bundle from Sam's Club which has two black ink cartridges and one color for less than $20. That helps a lot as well.
Good luck with your decision.

Cyril Catt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,487

I would like to try one, but the benefits for me are limited because some of the software is not compatible with Macs, in Australia Kodak ink costs do not appear to support the extent of cost reduction suggested by Kodak, and there seem to be few retailers stocking Kodak printers and inks.
--
Cyril

Rich Jenkins Regular Member • Posts: 137
-- hide signature --

I have the 5500 and ESP3 and have been impressed by the print quality. I've had great results with the Kodak 135 value pack, which has much higher quality photo paper than the 180 value pack. Using the 135 paper I get more than 135 prints from 1 set of ink tanks, so that comes out to less than 15 cents a print. The photo quality of the 180 paper is not very good by my standards. I would avoid the 180 value pack.

The Kodak semi gloss 5 star works great, but at higher paper cost, but I don't see a real increase in ink used with this paper. I also use Epson photo paper with great results (both 8.5x11 semi-gloss and 4x6 glossy). I have been very pleased with prints up through 8x10s.

The negative part is that I've had the printhead replaced by Kodak on a prior owned 5300 twice free of charge after about 9 months use on each, so the printhead seems to be the weak link. On a third issue with the printhead, Kodak replaced my 5300 with a 5500 due to the number of issues I've experienced. The customer service experience has been good throughout.

Your mileage may vary on the printhead issues. Some have indicated that the printhead becomes clogged over time using low grade inkjet or copy paper, so I've relegated the 5500 to photos only, and the ESP3 to kids projects to see if this holds true over time..

Rich

LarryDo Junior Member • Posts: 49

I have had similar results. I have printed more photos than ever in the past on other prints just because the cost is much less. The quality is quite good. I have been only using the Kodak paper with the backside lines that tell the printer what paper it is and how to set the printer.

I have had the same print head issues as others but have had it replaced for free. I assume they will eventually work their way out of the issue.

For my 4x6 I usually get the 135 ink/paper combo pack and usually get around 135 prints for the $20.00

interbear
OP interbear Regular Member • Posts: 274

All - many thanks for your input and opinions, I appreciate it.

I've lost my patience in paying over-the-odds to Dell for printer cartridges for no better than everage print quality.

So, once my current Dell cartridges run out I shall invest in a Kodak ESP printer. Not sure which one yet, probably ESP5 or ESP7.

Thanks again.

dtgaf Senior Member • Posts: 2,299

If you are looking for an ESP-5, check out the sale at Staples right now. The ESP-5 for $120.
--
PBASE supporter Tom
http://www.pbase.com/tgaf
Kodak Z1485IS, Z1015IS, Sony A700

interbear
OP interbear Regular Member • Posts: 274

Thanks - I'm in the UK though - there are a few good deals on the go here also, the Kodak printers are well priced.

vongruetz Junior Member • Posts: 38

Keep in mind that the ESP 7 has wireless print capabilities, which is really handy if you have more than one computer trying to use the printer.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads