D-lux 4 production?

Started Apr 28, 2009 | Discussions
jllbms Forum Member • Posts: 77
D-lux 4 production?

I received this in an email from an online merchant... "the Dlux4 may not be made that much longer". To quote one of our other members (please excuse), but WTF?

Anybody else heard this? The DL4 is going like gangbusters. Why would Leica discontinue it. Doesn't make sense, when they're selling so fast you can't get one.

john

Peter Nelson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,890
Re: D-lux 4 production?

Probably because the manufacturer is tooling up for new models, this would be the most likely reason for the end of any model production run. Sorry but that's the way it's done.

jllbms wrote:

I received this in an email from an online merchant... "the Dlux4
may not be made that much longer". To quote one of our other members
(please excuse), but WTF?

Anybody else heard this? The DL4 is going like gangbusters. Why
would Leica discontinue it. Doesn't make sense, when they're selling
so fast you can't get one.

john

-- hide signature --

Life as an artist has had some unusual times to say the least.
visit my web site http://www.flickr.com/photos/artist_eyes/
Remember to click on 'All Sizes' for better viewing.
Artist Eyes

Ashley G Regular Member • Posts: 171

I think these days, for standard models, they forecast demand and then make as many as they think they can sell over a given model life and just make that number, then progresss to the next model. This way production does not depend on orders or actual demand. The model only stays in production for as long as it takes to make the forecast quantity. In the event of exceptional demand, they could extend the production run. An exception to this of course would be models like the a la carte M's etc.

Lats time I looked, the D-Lux 3 was still listed as a current model on the Leica website, but you can bet prodiction of that ended several months ago and they continue to sell from stock.

If D-Lux 4 production were to end soon, it would still be sold as a current model for some mohths to come.
--
Ashley

gtravis Regular Member • Posts: 257

Panasonic cannot even keep the LX3 on the shelves due to demand. Given that the D-LUX 4 and the LX3 are made by the same people, in the same factory, from the same parts, it would make no sense right now to stop production when demand remains this high.

You introduce a new model to spur demand. Since Panasonic cannot keep up with the current demand, there is no need to spur it. Thus no need to introduce a new model at this time, even if they have one designed and ready.

Richard Franiec
Richard Franiec Senior Member • Posts: 2,544

Logically it would not make much sens to abandon good seller in the middle of successful run especially in not so good economy. On the other hand Leica (Panasonic) compete in posh camera segment with other brands and have to be on their toes at all time.

It is possible that D-Lux4 will be offered parallel to another model, maybe with different range of focal length zoom, similar approach to Sigma's DP line?

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads