DIY lens mount weather seal

Started Apr 23, 2009 | Discussions
dnorth12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129
DIY lens mount weather seal

This idea was born out of a post where someone had a weather sealed body, but not a weather sealed lens and the thought was the lens mount would be the weakest link. My idea is to cover that weak link. There are better ways to protect you gear, one being a rain sleeve.

The first caveat is this will "not" work with a lens that has an aperture ring, as you will not be able to manipulate the ring with the O ring in place.

The second caveat is that I am not sure many would want to use this method. I may or may not myself. I am simply offering this up as an idea and if you can make use of it, go for it.

What you need is an O ring that is 2 1/4" outside diameter with a 3/16" cross section. Costs about $1.50. I did not find this at a hardware store. Had to go to specialty screw store.

This photo is to display size relationship only.

Apply/stretch the O ring around barrel of lens, with lens cap on. Will be a little bit of a struggle.

Mount the lens.

Roll the O ring into gap between body and lens. Nice snug fit.

When done, dry off your gear. Dismounting the lens will be a stiffer than normal due to the friction caused by the O ring.

lillebi
lillebi New Member • Posts: 11
Re: DIY lens mount weather seal

Nice. Have you test how well it works?

Can I try put clear wrap around the lens for a little more dust proof?

lillebi's gear list:lillebi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
The Big One Veteran Member • Posts: 4,564

Pretty cool!  I have considered something like this to go with a DIY rain cover I made for my Sigma  150-500, but I have not had a chance to look for an o-ring.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
abcdefghijklmnop Senior Member • Posts: 1,098

I do not think this would be easier than the old trick of splitting a piece of gaffers tape and putting that around the mount and use some more on any other opening the lens has.  It also does a great job of keeping dust out since any dust that gets under the edge of the tape is caught by the glue.

abcdefghijklmnop's gear list:abcdefghijklmnop's gear list
Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 2,053

Of course, if your lenses are Ai/S Pre-N, etc., then it won't work at all as either method will not allow you to change the aperture. But clever otherwise.

-- hide signature --
 shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +7 more
OP dnorth12 Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

And I thought no one was paying attention...well it did take more than three and half years to get a response. Thank God for the search feature.

Cowboyarcher Regular Member • Posts: 101

I know this post is very old, but I was looking for a similar solution. I am in the EU now, so I found some 47mm x 5mm o rings on eBay (5x for about $5) and thought I'd give it a try. I'll try to report back on my findings!

Cowboyarcher's gear list:Cowboyarcher's gear list
Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Yding New Member • Posts: 2

Hi I’m very interest in hearing about this. Please let us know if this works, just remotely. I’m moving to a desert environment for the next 6 months, so I’m looking for all the dust repelling measures I find to keep shooting my D7200.

Thank you.

Cowboyarcher Regular Member • Posts: 101

Yding wrote:

Hi I’m very interest in hearing about this. Please let us know if this works, just remotely. I’m moving to a desert environment for the next 6 months, so I’m looking for all the dust repelling measures I find to keep shooting my D7200.

Thank you.

The o-rings I found worked great!

Cowboyarcher's gear list:Cowboyarcher's gear list
Nikon D750 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

Cowboyarcher wrote:

Yding wrote:

Thank you.

The o-rings I found worked great!

I did this on my Olympus EM1 with a prime 75mm F/1.8 and it worked fine for a ski day.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
Yding New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you! Looks like I need to get some O-rings

DJF77
DJF77 Senior Member • Posts: 1,254

That’s really not going to work. If anyone tries this thinking it will then more fool you. As with any gasket you need a fair amount of compression and and a good fit to ideally flat surfaces.

If you risk your expensive gear testing this out..... good luck to you 😀

lambert4
lambert4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,335

DJF77 wrote:

That’s really not going to work. If anyone tries this thinking it will then more fool you. As with any gasket you need a fair amount of compression and and a good fit to ideally flat surfaces.

If you risk your expensive gear testing this out..... good luck to you 😀

its not for diving, its simply one extra measure to help reduce infiltration.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED +3 more
polizonte
polizonte Contributing Member • Posts: 981

I wonder if this work with a 50mm Sigma Art (sold mine), just to minimize dust getting in around the lens mount, which is my only complaint about this lens. How must would it have cost Sigma to include a lens gasket on a $949 lens ? How about Sigma retro-fitting a gasket...wishful thinking?

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads