k7d?

Started Apr 21, 2009 | Discussions
MatthijsNL Regular Member • Posts: 123
k7d?

On a Dutch forum I read about an upcoming Pentax K7D, which is said to have been confirmed by an Austrian Pentax-employee. This would match the somewhat vague announcements that Pentax have been making about a compact but more advanced than K20D model.

Having read about that, of course I turned to this forum to read about the latest speculations and rumours, and got surprised to see that there weren't any posts about such a model, just a few topics whining on about full-frame. So is there anything going on, or is this all just a hoax?

 MatthijsNL's gear list:MatthijsNL's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +5 more
NebulousLife New Member • Posts: 15
Re: k7d?

from what i have found out the K7D is the products real name, to be offically released mid May. there are a few leaked photos that show a small body thats not ff other than that nothing else is confirmed.

ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,214
Re: k7d?
 ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
This is not a real name Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Re: k7d?

Interesting. But why K7D not K3D? Why does a series of cameras so often start with 7* (Nikon D70, Nikon D700, Konica-Minolta 7D, Sony Alpha 700). Seemed especially silly with Nikon as the D100 meant they only had three models before the numbering had to change (D70, D80, D90)

Ursinho73 Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: k7d?

MatthijsNL wrote:
On a Dutch forum I read about an upcoming Pentax K7D, (...)
Having read about that, of course I turned to this forum to read
about the latest speculations and rumours, and got surprised to see
that there weren't any posts about such a model, ...

True, this forum is extremely calm regarding the rumours about the new body. Just one main thread with around 120 posts, compared to the other forum where the comparable thread is closing in on 700 posts - leaving alone a German forum where they are almost at post #2,000 right now...

So, this is what they say elsewhere:

  • Name: K7 (with or without "D")

  • Size: slightly smaller than K20D

  • Shape: peculiar, rectangular prism housing

  • Official announcement: during last 10 days of May

  • Delivery: end of June, beginning of July

  • Pricing: around 1,500 € (probably somewhat less)

All of the above seems already to be pretty solid information. Much less solid, but perhaps already quite close to the truth, are the rumoured specs:

  • Same sensor as the K20D

  • Up to 6400 ISO with better noise treatment

  • 5 images/sec

  • 100 % viewfinder

  • Better weatherproofing

  • Mirror lockup

  • Liveview and HD Video

  • Better stabilizer .

  • Better DRE mode

  • 77 zones light metering

  • Much better AF system even with non-SDM lenses

  • 3 inches/ 920 000 pixels screen with in-body editing (crop...)

  • 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync

Whether the new camera will be (partly) made of metal was hinted, but not yet further substantiated.

Regards,
Hannes

Dantum Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: k7d?

Interesting stuff.

That 1/250 sync speed sounds darn nice...

Alan Granger
Alan Granger Contributing Member • Posts: 564
Re: k7d?

5 fps! I can ditch my Canon.
--

 Alan Granger's gear list:Alan Granger's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D800E Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +6 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156
Re: k7d?

Ursinho73 wrote:

MatthijsNL wrote:
On a Dutch forum I read about an upcoming Pentax K7D, (...)
Having read about that, of course I turned to this forum to read
about the latest speculations and rumours, and got surprised to see
that there weren't any posts about such a model, ...

So, this is what they say elsewhere:

  • Name: K7 (with or without "D")

  • Size: slightly smaller than K20D

  • Shape: peculiar, rectangular prism housing

  • Official announcement: during last 10 days of May

  • Delivery: end of June, beginning of July

  • Pricing: around 1,500 € (probably somewhat less)

All of the above seems already to be pretty solid information. Much
less solid, but perhaps already quite close to the truth, are the
rumoured specs:

  • Same sensor as the K20D

I am guessing similar resolution, but improved version of the sensor.

  • Up to 6400 ISO with better noise treatment

Maybe 25,600 for marketing reasons?

  • 5 images/sec

Sounds reasonable, but people will still complain because it isn't 8 fps.

  • 100 % viewfinder

That would be fine, same as D300, although I would prefer it is larger from a larger sensor (APS-H).

What about the digital overlay's in the viewfinder (like head's up displays)? Think that is likely? It would be nice for AF point indicators, histograms, zoom in detail spot for manual focus, etc.

  • Better weatherproofing

K20d seemed fine, but better wouldn't hurt.

  • Mirror lockup

True mirror lockup would be handy, but not big deal.

  • Liveview and HD Video

I would expect this. The K20d already had the movie mode started and same with live view. Hopefully they are polished up and good to go.

  • Better stabilizer .

I would assume small improvements, nothing major though.

  • Much better AF system even with non-SDM lenses

I would assume improvements here. More AF sensors, and mainly improvements on AF-C mode.

  • 3 inches/ 920 000 pixels screen with in-body editing (crop...)

I would expect as much.

  • 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync

These two would also be nice and make it more competitive with higher end models from other companies.

Eric
--

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful. - John Constable

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/
See my Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad

 viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Ursinho73 Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Digital Overlay

viking79 wrote:
What about the digital overlay's in the viewfinder (like head's up
displays)? Think that is likely? It would be nice for AF point
indicators, histograms, zoom in detail spot for manual focus, etc.

Pentax has a patent filed on something like that, back in 2006 IIRC. However, rumours have it that it's not yet ready for implementation.

Regards,
Hannes

huqedato Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: Digital Overlay

From a Pentax French reseller: it's about K7 (without "D"), it's from the same line as K20D and not a "pro" camera (as K2D expected). It's not FF. It has almost the same specifications as K20D. What's new: it's only the look concept, video HD and improvements from K20D (many). The same Safox VII focus system, but improved towards stability (?) and accuracy, but not speed.

A pro line camera is to be expected in 2010-2011, but not a word about the sensor size.
~ errant ~

Cideway
Cideway Veteran Member • Posts: 5,707
Re: k7d?

viking79 wrote:

  • 100 % viewfinder

That would be fine, same as D300, although I would prefer it is
larger from a larger sensor (APS-H).

Interesting piece of trivia the EOS 1D series, with the 1.3 crop sensor, actually has a smaller view finder then the K20D. It may have a larger sensor, with greater coverage, but and it is a big one... it has very little magnification.
--
Chris.

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside

GMT +9.5

Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

 Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
gumboot2 New Member • Posts: 18
Wow this is sounding interesting.

I am in the market for a digital SLR this year and this is sounding promising. I will look at this camera when it is announced and compare to some of the latest offerings from the other companies.

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474
Re: k7d?

I'd hope that you were both (Ursinho/viking) largely correct in your speculations, but given what Richard Day has said in the other thread I think it will be nothing more than APS-C; and also (taken together) the significant improvements across many areas which you are both suggesting would push the price way up past 1500 euros IMO.

We will see ...

viking79 wrote:

Ursinho73 wrote:

MatthijsNL wrote:
On a Dutch forum I read about an upcoming Pentax K7D, (...)
Having read about that, of course I turned to this forum to read
about the latest speculations and rumours, and got surprised to see
that there weren't any posts about such a model, ...

So, this is what they say elsewhere:

  • Name: K7 (with or without "D")

  • Size: slightly smaller than K20D

  • Shape: peculiar, rectangular prism housing

  • Official announcement: during last 10 days of May

  • Delivery: end of June, beginning of July

  • Pricing: around 1,500 € (probably somewhat less)

All of the above seems already to be pretty solid information. Much
less solid, but perhaps already quite close to the truth, are the
rumoured specs:

  • Same sensor as the K20D

I am guessing similar resolution, but improved version of the sensor.

  • Up to 6400 ISO with better noise treatment

Maybe 25,600 for marketing reasons?

  • 5 images/sec

Sounds reasonable, but people will still complain because it isn't 8
fps.

  • 100 % viewfinder

That would be fine, same as D300, although I would prefer it is
larger from a larger sensor (APS-H).

What about the digital overlay's in the viewfinder (like head's up
displays)? Think that is likely? It would be nice for AF point
indicators, histograms, zoom in detail spot for manual focus, etc.

  • Better weatherproofing

K20d seemed fine, but better wouldn't hurt.

  • Mirror lockup

True mirror lockup would be handy, but not big deal.

  • Liveview and HD Video

I would expect this. The K20d already had the movie mode started and
same with live view. Hopefully they are polished up and good to go.

  • Better stabilizer .

I would assume small improvements, nothing major though.

  • Much better AF system even with non-SDM lenses

I would assume improvements here. More AF sensors, and mainly
improvements on AF-C mode.

  • 3 inches/ 920 000 pixels screen with in-body editing (crop...)

I would expect as much.

  • 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync

These two would also be nice and make it more competitive with higher
end models from other companies.

Eric

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

 sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: k7d?

It will be the same K20D with better LV, the same SAFOX VIII (a bit better), with new AF mode - 6.5 fps in 6 MP jpeg, HD video and new body.
The same 1/180 and 1/4000.
The new version of 14.6 CMOS sensor of Samsung.
IT ALL!!!! No any revolution.

yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: k7d?
  • Name: K7 (with or without "D")

  • Size: slightly smaller than K20D

not slightly. smaller than K200D.

  • Shape: peculiar, rectangular prism housing

  • Official announcement: during last 10 days of May

May, 22

  • Same sensor as the K20D

  • Up to 6400 ISO with better noise treatment

  • 5 images/sec

No. 3.5 fps.

  • 100 % viewfinder

it's hard to say.

  • Better weatherproofing

The same

  • Mirror lockup

  • Liveview and HD Video

yes

  • Better stabilizer .

it's hard to say

  • Better DRE mode

  • 77 zones light metering

No any info

  • Much better AF system even with non-SDM lenses

The same SAFOX VIII

  • 3 inches/ 920 000 pixels screen with in-body editing (crop...)

2.7"

  • 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync

1/4000 and 1/180

tomtor Senior Member • Posts: 1,454
Re: k7d?

yana36 wrote:

It will be the same K20D with better LV, the same SAFOX VIII (a bit
better), with new AF mode - 6.5 fps in 6 MP jpeg, HD video and new
body.
The same 1/180 and 1/4000.
The new version of 14.6 CMOS sensor of Samsung.
IT ALL!!!! No any revolution.

That is not a 1500 euro camera, it's aa sub 1000 euro camera unless it has
an evf overlay or the samsung blown highlight prevention.

 tomtor's gear list:tomtor's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K10D Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: k7d?

tomtor wrote:

That is not a 1500 euro camera, it's aa sub 1000 euro camera unless

1500 is pre-order price, the real price will be under 1300 euro.
Camera will be with unique VF.

iaki Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: k7d?

Not happy.

I expected variable ISO within the frame reaching ISO 25.000.000.000, and an extended Ultra HDR Galaxy mode, so we can frame Jupiter and Pluto at 1/2000 shutter speed.

Plus, built in malaria vaccine, and patented Grolsch® side bottle opener.

Don´t even know how they intend to sell a single body without those must-have features.

sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474
Re: k7d?

tomtor wrote:

yana36 wrote:

It will be the same K20D with better LV, the same SAFOX VIII (a bit
better), with new AF mode - 6.5 fps in 6 MP jpeg, HD video and new
body.
The same 1/180 and 1/4000.
The new version of 14.6 CMOS sensor of Samsung.
IT ALL!!!! No any revolution.

That is not a 1500 euro camera, it's aa sub 1000 euro camera

But there will be a big on-cost associated with the new body/VF. That's a whole new re-tooled assembly line as compared to the K10D to K20D upgrade.

If yana's '6.5 fps in 6MP jpeg' rumour is correct, that could be a very nice feature.

And if the new version of the sensor gives us an extra stop of ISO performance, then all the better.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

 sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
tomtor Senior Member • Posts: 1,454
upgrade

sfa1966 wrote:

tomtor wrote:

yana36 wrote:

It will be the same K20D with better LV, the same SAFOX VIII (a bit
better), with new AF mode - 6.5 fps in 6 MP jpeg, HD video and new
body.
The same 1/180 and 1/4000.
The new version of 14.6 CMOS sensor of Samsung.
IT ALL!!!! No any revolution.

That is not a 1500 euro camera, it's aa sub 1000 euro camera

But there will be a big on-cost associated with the new body/VF.
That's a whole new re-tooled assembly line as compared to the K10D to
K20D upgrade.

If yana's '6.5 fps in 6MP jpeg' rumour is correct, that could be a
very nice feature.

If it is paired with excellent predictive af then that would be nice for those who need/want it. My subjects are sharp even on my k10.

And if the new version of the sensor gives us an extra stop of ISO
performance, then all the better.

That would be nice and perhaps sufficient reason for me to upgrade.

 tomtor's gear list:tomtor's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K10D Pentax K-x Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads