Photo to painting effect

Started Apr 16, 2009 | Discussions
dogma02 Senior Member • Posts: 1,379
Thank you Allen and Lyle

I downloaded and installed, and now have the new version. Thanks for being the brave ones and trying the download.
--
---
Lynn

http://www.pbase.com/lynnsphotos

OP LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,808
Download again

According to the mmbforums you may want to download the 1.1 again as there was a small bug that had been fixed apparently within few hours of posting 1.1, you may got the file too early.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
sdino Regular Member • Posts: 110
A cute result at second try!

Amazing! I purchased the DAP 1.1 right after I saw this result from their trial version. Thanks for all the useful info especially to lylejk's.

Here is my try tandam with the original for your reference:

The original output size 3200x4000px (6.65MB) here (resampled 1.9MB): "

"

Have A Nice Day!

-- hide signature --

SDino
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Photograpphy Contribute Refreshing-Touch.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

lylejk
lylejk Forum Pro • Posts: 32,498
Re: A cute result at second try!

Appreciate the comments, but the people who should be thanked are Roman Cortez, Roman Voska, an Oscar (don't have his last name; he's maintaining the program and updating it as needed; even fixing things so quickly that I'm quite impressed with that too).

-- hide signature --

lylejk's gear list:lylejk's gear list
Leica V-LUX 1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W7
notawahoo Contributing Member • Posts: 744
Lyle, you will see I'm no engineer - LOL!!

I decided to see what the .aop files are all about, so I created some colors and an alpha channel grayscale image, used the AutoPainter tool to create an AOP file, and ran Auto Painter using my settings. I have some work to do !! But now I "get it", so on to Try #2

I got

from this

-- hide signature --

Nancy
Central Virginia, USA
http://www.pbase.com/notawahoo/

^..^

lylejk
No longer an Engineer either Nancy; lol

Cool brush though. Fun stuff DAP is. Oscar (a.k.a., Roman; just found that out recently; lol) recently mentioned some cool outline info for creating AOP brushes.

http://www.mmbforums.com/ipb/index.php?s=&showtopic=22594&view=findpost&p=133567

-- hide signature --

Wow! Thanks for the link, Lyle!

This stuff is very very time-consuming, but fascinating. I'll post if I get something worth looking at !

-- hide signature --

Nancy
Central Virginia, USA

^..^

This is a bit better . . .

Before:

-- hide signature --

Nancy
Central Virginia, USA

^..^

Allen Gerdes Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635
Re: Lyle:

Do you know whether one must be an MMBForum member in order to download Oscar's JPG files? I am interested in furthering my knowledge on how he creates his AOP files and would like to view these jpg's. I have yet to create anything worthwhile and am sure that I do not fully understand how to properly create an AOP.

Thanks for all the help you provide. It is greatly appreciated.

Regards...

Allen

lylejk

If they are attachments, then you do need to be a member (found this out a few days earlier with a custom AOP file that I created). Membership is free though, but, if you are me, you will join a forum and become so inactive (after you get you need fulfilled) that you forget that you are even a member of that forum. I only frequent 3 forums today (and occasionally post on FM's forum and GIMPTalk forum) and any other blogs that I've join have long since been forgotten. If you need some additional info on AOP fiiles, you might get what you want from Arcimbolder's blog (click below).

http://www.romancortes.com/arcimbolder/AOP-details.html

-- hide signature --

Thanks Lyle. Yes, I know what you mean about joining too many forums...one has only so much time to devote to participating in them. Guess I will have to join the MMBForum if I want to download Oscar's JPG's.

I had already visitied the Arcimbolder link when you posted it earlier. That did help to enlighten me a bit, but I am still a little confused when it comes to creating a useful AOP. I may try to get a little direct help from Oscar, if I do join the MMBForum.

Thanks again.

Regards...

Allen

lylejk

I would just email them to you, but I don't want to get into property rights issues; can't see your email now anyway; lol (inside joke if you've read some of the other posts on another thread).

-- hide signature --

Pictus
Pictus Veteran Member • Posts: 6,309
Re: Photo to painting effect

-- hide signature --

lylejk

Oscar released yet another update (1.2; added a few new things too like choice of two different types of canvas).

-- hide signature --

OP LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,808
Printing on watercolor paper

I got great rewsults on canvas, now I got inkjet watercolor paper and got another sets of amazing results.

Cezanne works really well on a watercolor paper, but uncheck the real canvas as you don't need simulated texture because the paper will supply it.
In the 1.2 use the Natural Borders option - this is best for this kind of art.

First I printed the watercolor cezanne edge to edge and it looked unnatural so I erased edges around it in photoshop. With 1.2 I don't have to do that, it produces watercolor that is very hard to distinguish from a real watercolor as with modern inkjet you simply don't see any dots. Pretty impressive.

The watercolor paper seems to be more universal than the canvas for inkjet and also less expensive. I can set Real Canvas to ON, print some oil type style on the watercolor matte paper and it looks maybe better than printed on a canvas as the real canvas does amazing job to fake the canvas.

of course with oil type of paint it is better to print to larger size than A4 or letter. Letter size oil painting look too small, but watercolor on letter size actually looks pretty real.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
Re: Thanks again, Lyle...joined and got them (nt)

Allen

Galadial Contributing Member • Posts: 564

nt
--
Flickr Stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/galadial/

Canon 350d kit ; Sigma 70-300 APO Macro II ; Sigma 10-20 ; Canon 100-400 ; Canon 100mm Macro ; MPE-65

Gale Bizet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,266
Galadial which pic...NT
John Szeto Senior Member • Posts: 1,906

Here's the lighthouse at the end of St.Simons Island, Ga. Using the Benson effect,
the program was still working when I stopped it after two hours.

I used the default setting that came up when I installed the program, but I'll have to go for quicker results next time.

buggz Regular Member • Posts: 176

Hello,
I have enjoyed plyting w/ DAP and the HDR app.
I purchased both last night.
However, I cannot find ANY reference on how to register the DAP app.
Nothing in the email, nor the online completed order.
I poked around the forums there, have to register for that.

Anywho, I see a LOT of frustration from many others on the registration confusion.
Anyone have any pointers?
Yes, I do plan on registering the forums their to post.
Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads