Do you shoot using the Live View function

Started Apr 15, 2009 | Discussions
sting Veteran Member • Posts: 4,970
Definitely for improving focus and comfort

LiveView offers a better chance for checking focus, especially in lower light. While I don't find it useful for handheld people shots, it has improved the image resolution of my macro and landscape shots. Just zoom in and use manual focus.

Also, LiveView with a remote shutter release allows me to use the ground and beanbags for support . Low tripods, including my fabulous RRS GroundPod, require a lot of uncomfortable positions to peer into the viewfinder.

lovEU Veteran Member • Posts: 3,135
Re: yes and no

Ilkka Nissilä wrote:

I think for the LV mode to be useful for actual shooting the mirror
would have to not come down between LV viewing and the actual taking
of the shot.

yes, it takes a little time until finally the shot is done especially if one sets exposure delay mode On.

The current implementation is just too noisy and slow
for events.

true as well in my opinion, even for slow moving subjects I find it difficult to use LV.
--
regards, eric

FJMCSU Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Definitely for improving focus and comfort

Very useful for shooting on tripod; i have used it frequently as of late for DOF eval, composition,focus & level(with horizon function).Glad it s available. Enjoyed using it with my newly acquired manual focus Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro Planar.
--
Thank you
Francisco

sting Veteran Member • Posts: 4,970

sting wrote:

Low tripods, including my fabulous
RRS GroundPod, require a lot of uncomfortable positions to peer into
the viewfinder.

The tripods are still necessary, but they are easier to use with LiveView if the ambient light isn't too bright.

dstefan Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Re: Do you shoot using the Live View function

Constantly for landscape, especially with manual and PC lenses.
--
David in Phoenix,
That's my story . . . and I'm stickin' to it!

dstefan's gear list:dstefan's gear list
Nikon D810
Octane Senior Member • Posts: 2,993
SLR is too heavy to hold out

Live view is painful with a camera as heavy as an SLR. Try holding a D700 with flash and 24-70 at eye level 1.5 feet in front of your face. Your arms will hurt after less than one minute. It is also less stable and you get more blur from camera shake.

Live view is for those situations where you can't look through the viewfinder or it becomes more difficult.

-- hide signature --
Mark LW Regular Member • Posts: 412

I have had a D3 since December last year and tested out the Live View as I check out all facilities.

Hmm. I do not see the point. It exists as as subset of the chip and program and to me has no value.

If I want to use video, I use a dedicated unit. Those who call for video/HD/1080lp in a still camera really do not require a high quality camera. Just some bastardisation of devices giving multiple standards at their least common denominator value.

Mark.
--

All comments are purely personal and generally based on my experience, I may well be wrong.

Rexyinc
Rexyinc Regular Member • Posts: 433
Re: SLR is too heavy to hold out

i use it all the time. Above crowd shots at weddings and with group shots on tripod. Also use it handheld with the 24 and 85 pc-e glass for 100% focus. But on the d3x i can not get it off the focus points. How do i fix it so i can zoom anywhere in the image i want?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rexyinc/

maluminas Regular Member • Posts: 178

In contrast detect mode (Tripod mode) you can zoom anywhere on the frame, but its slower to focus.

maluminas Regular Member • Posts: 178

So the D90/D5000 and 5D2 take crappy stills?

I love your signature

jeremypayne Forum Member • Posts: 91

It exists as as subset of the chip and program and to me has no value.

? Huh?

... and what does video have to do with LV on the D3 and D700?

Mark LW Regular Member • Posts: 412

Whilst I have said that it has no value for me, I appreciate that there are those who find it is useful when shooting from tripods for architectural and static/stable fields. I think I can see how LV is of use; just not what I do/have done.

So whilst there is a function I do not rate, there are those that do. A matter of choice which it is good to have.

I have put in a Type E screen. With the D200 lines were switchable, always on and mentally/optically on/off for me.

Hell. Never said I was God. I could not believe Nikon actually produced a camera just for me and it is good to see that other folk can get something out of it that I do not !

Mark.
--

All comments are purely personal and generally based on my experience, I may well be wrong.

OP vincent_ph Forum Member • Posts: 56
Thanks for the Ideas

Thanks for all your replies and Ideas. I will try to use the LV in macro shots.

Seal51 Regular Member • Posts: 264
Re: a question to those who said "never"....

I didn't say never but.....I have not tried it but after reading this thread I AM going to give it a go!
thanks for the ideas!
Ken

gmosc wrote:
These forums are often a futility in preaching to the converted. So I
can imagine that none of you will say that you learned something from
this thread but I'll try anyway.

For anyone who said "never" Did you learn anything new from the
people here who listed some ideas? Will you consider using live view
for any of those purposes?

It would be refreshing to hear that at least one of you learned
something from other fellow photographers. I have a feeling that we
are all stuck in our ways and we sort of troll these forums to find
some fresh blood to pass our habits on to, but as for learning from
each other, I sort of doubt it. (Please, somebody, prove me wrong).

Guy Moscoso

vincent_ph wrote:

I've been using my D700 for 2 months now, and haven't used it once,
I'm just thinking how useful has this feature been to you? I am an
event photographer by the way specializing in weddings.

john Senior Member • Posts: 1,620

vincent_ph wrote:

I've been using my D700 for 2 months now, and haven't used it once,
I'm just thinking how useful has this feature been to you? I am an
event photographer by the way specializing in weddings.

I still Live View time to time with my d300, but the live view is not perfect, both mode is not perfect, the contrast detect mode is too slow, sometime it take 10 seconds to nail the focus, the mirror flip up mode, is fast, but the problem, is that when you half press the shutter to focus, it black out the screen, so you can't see what you are capturing.

I just wish they make the contrast detect mode work faster, they can use sensor outside the body to only detect focus just like what point and shoot film cameras has been using, then it will be perfect.

K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: When needed - a must with pc lenses and many other

Used it the first time about two days ago and now realise that under certain conditions it has a real part to play.

The subject was a crashed truck being kept in a large garage. Light was terrible, flash would have been useless, good focus on damaged parts was critical. Put the D300 on a tripod and used the live view + close up focus on at least 50 shots.

It worked really well and I now realise that I should have used it on many previous occasions.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Perth, Western Australia

D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,544
Tried it...

I've tried it a few times, but unless I'm missing something, you press the shutter release down halfway to get the view...then you press it again all the way down to make it focus and take the photo. It just seems a little weird to me the way it works and it causes me to wonder what's going on since the screen goes dark while it's focusing and taking the photo. I'd like it better if I could press half way down to get the view and the focus, then a final press to take the photo. It works fine, it just throws me off with the way it works so I find myself not using it. If it worked more like a point and shoot in that live view mode, that would be better....constant live view...press half way to focus (live view still on screen) then final press all the way down to take the picture...then automatically return to live view. That would be better.

D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Rexyinc
Rexyinc Regular Member • Posts: 433

ok.. I'll try it.. Time to get the manual out:) and yes manual focus on the tilt.shifts is slow.. Thanks for the tip..

maluminas wrote:

In contrast detect mode (Tripod mode) you can zoom anywhere on the
frame, but its slower to focus.
--

chili555 Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Live View

I used it just yesterday. Getting flower shots in sharp focus with reasonable depth of field really requires a sturdy tripod. So, I was flat on the ground with the tripod's center column reversed and the D700 hanging upside down with access to the viewfinder about 4" from the ground and impaired by the tripod legs, I turned on Live View, zoomed in on the part of the flower I wanted to be in very sharp focus and adjusted my MF macro lens. I pressed the shutter release again and the shot was taken.

It's like a lot of other tools: you may not use it very often, but when you need it, it's invaluable.
--
Fabricati diem, pvnc

pauldpre Regular Member • Posts: 438
Very important for macro and MF! (N/T)
-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads