Max CF Card Capacity for 5DM2?

Started Apr 12, 2009 | Discussions
Bill MacBeth Senior Member • Posts: 1,631
Max CF Card Capacity for 5DM2?

1) The 5DM2 manual mentions 2GB for Canon 'standard tests', and 4GB for video, but I have not located any source that gives the max CF card capacity that can be used by the 5DM2 with the latest firmware.

2) Assuming 8GB or 16GB could be used, does anyone have an idea how much the increased current drain of the larger card reduces the interval between battery charges?
--
Thanks and regards, Bill

JimW Regular Member • Posts: 253
Max CF Card Capacity for 5DM2? 64GB is the present limit

I believe 64GB is the present limit for CF Cards. This was announced recently (March, 2009) perhpas 128GB may be possible; I am not aware of the theoretical limit for the memory device controller specification..

March 2009: Pretec creator of the highest capacity CompactFlash card in the world (100GB) and the fastest CF card in the world (433X), continues today its record breaking history in the field of speed and capacity by unveiling the extraordinary 666X CF card, the world’s fastest CF card.

Four times faster than a typical CF card, Pretec 666X CF’s dazzling 100MB/s speed is the largest speed boost in CF history. 666X CF card is the newest member of Pretec’s family of innovative flash memory cards, consistently first to market in high speed and capacity products; 233X and 333X CF cards were introduced by Pretec at Taipei in 2007, 64GB CF card started shipping in Sept. 2008, and 433X CF card were launched at Birmingham UK in Feb. 2009.

Pretec 666X CF card will likely also be the last of the high speed CF card in the CompactFlash industry, since 100MB/s speed is approaching the theoretical maximum speed of CF specification, which is 133MB/s. CompactFlash Association has released the new generation of the CF specification, CFast™, which breaks the speed limit from 133MB/s of the Parallel ATA (PATA) standard to 3Gb/s (375MB/s) Serial ATA (SATA II) architecture while keep the small and popular original CF mechanical form factor. Pretec has announced the world’s 1st CFast™ since CES 2009 in Las Vegas, also demonstrated here in CeBIT and PMA; which will continue to be the speed and capacity leader (up to 6Gb/s) in small form factor memory card for the years to come.

With metal housing and ruggedized construction, Pretec 666X CF card provides extensive ruggedness making the card resistant to impact & shock – at least 10 times more durable than a typical CF card, and enables photographers to make the best use of rapid capture of high resolution pictures in the studio, streets or elsewhere with confidence and piece of mind even under the most severe conditions.

Pretec’s CeBIT booth is featuring “Double 100” this year, with dual breakthrough of CF capacity in 100MB, and CF speed in 100MB/s; approaching the end of an era with legendary CompactFlash, and pointing to the next rising star of CFast™.

Pretec 666X CF card will start sampling by April from capacities of 4GB to 64GB.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030602preteccfcard666x.asp

TDC223 Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Max CF Card Capacity for 5DM2? 64GB is the present limit

I think the question was about what max size card can the 5D2 use and not what is the biggest memory card. I read a post that said someone had used a 32GB card, but it would not label numbers above 999. Biggest card I have is a 16GB> Anyone with experience?

PhotoTraveler Forum Pro • Posts: 11,700

With CF, the largest CF card available, and largest card the camera can take are basically the same thing. May be the occasional exception though.

FarFarAway Regular Member • Posts: 112

I have used Transcend 133x 32GB CF card with 5D2.

If you set ISO 6400 with an empty card the image counter (RAW only) will show a little bit less than 999 images.

Personally, I wouldn't go beyond 32Gb because the idea of losing 1000 images at once (on vacation for example) is not appealing.

PhotoTraveler Forum Pro • Posts: 11,700

You are probably more likely to loose some of your CF card that are in your bag, or have the whole lot stolen, or drop it in the ocean than have a CF card die on you.

While the natural thought is of thinking about "all eggs in one basket" the reality is just the same as anything else, like the super health nut that does everything they can think of to be fit, and gets cancer and dies in a month, or gets hit by a bus in the middle of the street, all for nothing.

Just buy based on bang for the buck with a good name and what is most convenient size for a particular camera that you don't have to swap out cards all the time.

DAJ Regular Member • Posts: 452

Agree, to big of cards then you risk card failure and lose images,

FarFarAway wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't go beyond 32Gb because the idea of losing
1000 images at once (on vacation for example) is not appealing.
--

JimW Regular Member • Posts: 253
Max CF Card Capacity for 5DM2? 64GB is the present limit, However Note

DAJ wrote:

FarFarAway wrote:

Since I have never had a CF card failure in 10 years, there is a more likely chance (for me) of loosing the "other" cards than having one fail in the camera.

Buy the very best quality CF Cards with Full warranties.

Caution with buying knock-off "el cheepo" cards.
These cards are usually those that do not pass quality control tests.
Are sold in bulk without product labels to 3rd parties..
Then the 3rd party Vendor re-labels them in their name, and sell at discount...
Just know that these cards did not meet OEM Factory specifications...

Also REMEMBER...

Do NOT format your CF cards using any Computer operating system.

For example, do not format any CF card while it is connected to a Computer using a USB card reader...

FORMAT your CF cards ONLY in your Camera,
using the Camera's Format menu selection.
The Camera operating system is what the CF Card maker has designed to use.

Most of my students that have had CF card failures, Formatted their cards while it is connected to a Computer using a USB card reader, following the copy of the pictures into the computer...

JimW

Henrik Herranen Senior Member • Posts: 1,732
Re: Owners who don't switch cards don't lose images

DAJ wrote:

This is again one of the myths that just isn't so.

If you have a proper brand card that is never removed from the camera, the risk for losing images are very nearly zero. What would cause it to catastrophically malfunction?

Things that make you lose your images are:
1) Removing the card from the camera: static can break the card.
2) Touching the card: static can break the card.
3) Inserting the card to a card reader: static can break the card.

4) When in card reader, your operating system of choice may randomly mess up the card. The card will not be broken but you may lose your images.
5) Removing your card from a card reader: static can break the card.
6) Inserting the card to the camera: static can break the card.
7) Losing the card when not in camera.
8) Losing the camera.
9) Random breakage.
10) Camera malfunction that either breaks the card or messes up its file system.

With the exception of 8, 9 and 10 (which are all very unlikely), none of these can happen if you have a large card that you read through camera USB. Yes, camera's USB is slower than a good card reader, but if you care about your files, you will not buy several small cards then keep swithing them. That is a recipe for disaster.

As for the original poster: I have two 16 GB Transcend cards for my 5D (and two 4 GB cards I stopped using when I got the larger ones) and two 32 GB 133x Transcends for my 5D2. They seem to be quite reliable. There have been no reports of problems using 5D2's with 64 GB cards. However, I've seen no proof that anyone has tried.

Kind regards,

• Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society
My obligatory gallery: http://www.iki.fi/leopold/Photo/Galleria/

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Henrik Herranen Senior Member • Posts: 1,732

FarFarAway wrote:

Has someone said it is forbidden to use a big card and occasionally copy all new files to an external device, thus having at least two copies of each new file to begin with? That's what I do.

Kind regards,

• Henrik

-- hide signature --

And if a million more agree there ain't no great society
My obligatory gallery: http://www.iki.fi/leopold/Photo/Galleria/

Henrik Herranen's gear list:Henrik Herranen's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads