** Weekly Wildlife Thread, 05 April, 2009 **

Started Apr 5, 2009 | Discussions
geni01
OP geni01 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,282
Linda

netgarden wrote:

raising the bar for all of us! ; )

The only bar that I've raise these days are Hershey Bar's & there gooood! LOL!

Looks like the birdies are back, and your work is fabulous. Thnx for
the inspiration!

Thanks as always, right back at you!

OK which camera this time? lol

On this thread, the 50D of course, but will sneak-in some Nikon junks from time to time.

Do you like the 50D?

YES!

I'm thinkin' thats cheaper than a longer lens....tempting...

You already have the 1dmk3, no need for the 50D, maybe the longer lens if you can swing it!

Cheers,
Abby
--
'Someday I'll take a better photo, right now I'm just taking Snapz'
http://amyabby.smugmug.com/

geni01's gear list:geni01's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D300 Canon EOS 70D +15 more
Jim_A Regular Member • Posts: 126
Sonora Desert Museum
-- hide signature --

Thanks for looking Abby. I used a Sto-Fen Omni Bounce @ 100%. Usually it reduces the amount of light quite a bit at distance, but I was close to these guys so they got blasted. An old mind like mine can't think of everything :> )

artyman Regular Member • Posts: 439
Re: ** Weekly Wildlife Thread, 05 April, 2009 **

Thanks, as I said the el cheapo 18-55 kit lens is much maligned in my opinion, I gather the newer IS version is even better.
--
artyman
http://www.artyman.co.uk

Dave In LA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,057
hey Abby.........

geni01 wrote:

Went back again yesterday morning but could'nt take any snapz since
they where all on the other side of the little island. Got back again
in the afternoon & got this snap; same setup with the D300 except
used a 1.7TC instead, also same harsh lighting condition.

FF/Uncropped shot just downsized/downsampled, process NEF file via
ACR & added a little make-up in PSElements 7.0!

a much bigger snap (1800 x 1200)
http://amyabby.smugmug.com/gallery/5932517_3JYcq#507652046_7GiSs-O-LB

Cheers,
Abby

that last of the family is a wonderful image.
Forgive my playing.....see any difference?
Have a great week sir

-- hide signature --

‹(•¿•)› Dave in NW Louisiana
http://critterscapes.com

Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169
Tule Elk

Not posted elsewhere really...

The first three shots were taken relatively close to a group of four male Tule Elk that were hanging out together in the Point Reyes National Seashore Park in California. Post processing included selective sharpening, minor shadow recovery, saturation boost, warming, red wine, and some levels adjustment. All were shot with the Canon 40D and 300F/4LIS hand held with IS on. In hind sight, I should have turned IS off at these shutter speeds, as I think IS messes with the bokeh when I'm really steady. Not sure, just a hunch.

To change my position for better lighting I had to get down on my knees and crawl around below bush level with the ticks. Never really found a great spot for light. I tend to expose for the high mid levels rather than to the right, so the sky is still Blue. Makes for some dark shadows.

All at F/8, 1/1600th sec., ISO-320

I saw the one with the antlers initially, and started moving to a better position. Never got far enough ahead of them, but sort of close. This is where I first spotted the entire group, and they knew I was there.

This is about as close as I ever got to the male Elk. A portrait crop out of a landscape frame.

Next frame they start to slowly move away. I'm too close for their comfort, and they know I'm moving around in the direction they want to exit in.

A Killdeer pic taken the day before in the same park, but several miles South of the Tule Elk Reserve. Major crop

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
sailorboy Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Abby,

I used the 580 II flash and here are the settings,
Date/Time: 2009:04:03 20:29:23
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: External E-TTL
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Continuous (low)
ISO: 250
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Focal length: 500mm
AF mode: One-shot AF
Image size: 4752 x 3168
Image quality: Raw

The night before I tried a higher ISO and still had nice results.

One has to love those large eyes.
ken

Schwany
Schwany Forum Pro • Posts: 10,169
Cute baby ducky

Precious, really. The little one is cool.

Great set of shots.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
RLH1861 Senior Member • Posts: 1,863
STUNNING

some of the best I have seen
--
RLH

RLH1861's gear list:RLH1861's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL2
geni01
Forgive you? NEVER! Commend YOU! 110% ......

You just transform my cr@ppy snap to a real Photograph that even my wife is ribbing me that I should learn how to do this kind of transformation, in short, we both like what you did. A super-duper of a job, Dave!

Cheers,
Abby
--

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D300 Canon EOS 70D +15 more
geni01
Re: Tule Elk

All good shots & super effort, Steve! Sounds like you had a blast visiting the park, I may have to visit the park again this year as the last time I was there was about 3 years ago & only had a P&S to take photos around.

Cheers,
Abby
--

cshen Junior Member • Posts: 33
Pls help id - birds from South Bay, CA

The move in flocks of 10. Body longer than sparrows. Both male and female have the same dark color, I think. Can't identify them. Can anyone help? Thanks.

-charles

cshen's gear list:cshen's gear list
Sony a6000
geni01
Female Red-Winged Blackbird

Nice good shots, Charles!

Cheers,
Abby
--

dwill23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,224
50D? and f5.6 lens?

I don't care what this site says, The 50D is awesome, I own 2. Several features make it better than the 40D. The one I use most, that was the deal breaker is the in-camera folder creation. Sadly nikon has had this since the D70, but Canon only had it on their 1D and 5D cameras until the 50D. In my professional line of work, I NEED this feature. Like shooting JV and then Varsity sports, I want them separated. etc etc. Plus, the grain is nearly invisible in print at even ISO2000 if you nail your exposures (shoot so you don't have to brighten in post). I print about 20-50 8x10's at everything form ISO200-3200 and really... the grain is hardly noticeable at higher levels. Too many armatures only look at photos on their screen. Pros sell prints.

Neway...

The 400 f5.6 is SUPER awesome.

I have the $4100 Canon 300mm F2.8 L IS USM, but the $1000 400mm is sharper at 400mm than when I use a 1.4x on my 300mm making it a 420mm f4, even when I shoot it at F5.6.

The 400mm might be the best birding lens for the price ever made. And really the best one you can get when the light is bright enough.

I've used the 400 f2.8, and it's no where near as portable and hand-holdable as the 400 f5.6 (let alone the huge cost).

Clearly you've shown that you can totally blur out the background and isolate your subject even with F5.6. The closer you get, the more you blur your background, i'd say, more so than f-stop setttings.

Great photos. I'm jealous, and want to get out there and start shooting with my too-heavy 300mm.

Dave
michigan

-- hide signature --

lenses make the image, the camera only records it. my zoom is my feet, not my fingers, don't be lazy, buy primes

dwill23's gear list:dwill23's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Sony a7 III Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
alexandr6868 Regular Member • Posts: 347
A few birds and a frog

Taken in parks around or inside Athens (Greece). All birds with 450D + 100-400L, the frog with the 24-105L, all handheld.

A Kentish Plover flying:

A Yellow Wagtail:

A Eurasian Coot and its kid:

A mallard close-up:

A Little Egret:

And a green frog:

George

Re: A few from SE Texas

What a variety! Beautiful shots of beautiful birds!

George

Gautam Majumdar Forum Pro • Posts: 18,933
Re: A few birds and a frog

Nice series George. Coot with chick and the frog are my favs.

-- hide signature --

Gautam

Re: A few birds and a frog

Thanks Gautam!

Gautam Majumdar wrote:

Nice series George. Coot with chick and the frog are my favs.

Markoh New Member • Posts: 8
Kingfisher

Taken with my Canon 40D 100-400L IS.

This guy wasn't hanging around - so had little time before he was off catching fish.

This is my first Wildlife thread post so please be kind but welcome plenty of critique!

Markoh!

richardwigley Regular Member • Posts: 375
Ring-necked Parakeet

Taken on the Long Walk near Windsor Castle UK

Not that sharp... the 70-200 2.8 +2x doesnt really cut it for birds!

Rich

cshen Junior Member • Posts: 33
Thanks, Abby (n/t)

-charles

cshen's gear list:cshen's gear list
Sony a6000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads