Thanks to those dumping 5D for 5D2, I got a great deal

Started Apr 4, 2009 | Discussions
MICHAEL_61 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
Re: the question is not

cityphotographer wrote:

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

cityphotographer wrote:

what professionalism?

  • Have you bothered to see my web-site? I checked your profile trying

to see yours but couldn't find any. Are you a photographer at all, or
a just a wee troll?

about what I do for a living but what you do for a living

  • The question is how dare you talk in such a way with nothing to show to prove yourself?

since you said that you are a "professional"

now there is nothing wrong being an amateur or enthusiast and
chanting the new gadgets and declaring the 5D a "museum" camera (like
amateurs and enthusiasts do).
The problem is that you said that you shoot professionally and in
that case you better be prepared to face the music.

  • I agree that a pro CAN work with an older model. But I insist that most pros would not do it. It's not about gadgets, it's about tools of trade - it's quite sane and normal to use the best if one can afford it.

http://lordofthelens.co.nz/

da_Feeniks Contributing Member • Posts: 648
$700 Canon 5D? No such thing!!!

You may have gotten a private deal that can not possibly be replicated by anyone (if you're telling the truth), but used 5D's are still selling for $1,200 - $1,500 on eBay as of this very moment.

You got a gift from a personal friend, not a deal.

Brendan
=====
I am the last sane person on earth.

Frank Patton Contributing Member • Posts: 702
Re: Thanks to those dumping 5D for 5D2, I got a great deal

I got over twice that for the 5D that I sold in October . I kept my other one to sit on the shelf beside my EOS-3 ! Took me until mid-January to come up with a 5DMKII.
--

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 40D, a collection of EF L f2.8 lenses, and a Canon A650IS knockaround (love the articulating screen and 640 x 480 video thats limited by only memory card size)

cityphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 2,510
wrong again

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

  • The question is how dare you talk in such a way with nothing to

show to prove yourself?

I dare , I dare .

and in case you still don't get it I'll dare again, and again. Until I decide to do something else.

  • I agree that a pro CAN work with an older model. But I insist that

most pros would not do it. It's not about gadgets, it's about tools
of trade - it's quite sane and normal to use the best if one can
afford it.

wrong again.

from the 1D and 10D and d100/fuji S2 only nikon and sony made real substantial improvements: all the rest is pretty much the same offer with new gadgets. Pros can work with 10Ds and D70s with no problem. If you didn't know that then you don't belong to that category.

plain & simple

MICHAEL_61 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
Re: wrong again

cityphotographer wrote:

Pros can work with 10Ds and D70s with no problem.

  • Maybe they can. But they don't. Neither me, nor any other pro that I'm personally familiar with. Nikon D3 or D3x, Canon 1D Mark III or 1Ds Mark III, or 5D Mark II. People do sometimes keep the older body as a backup only in case the first one breaks down in the middle of an assignment. As for the difference in IQ, I can tell you that a certain wedding photographer that I know was so impressed with 5D Mark II image quality, that she bought 2 bodies at once - one as main and one for backup. And sold her older models to people like our OP for (comparatively) peanuts. Which made them very happy (same as our OP), because they now can afford a great camera which they - being amateurs - could or would possibly not afford before.

http://lordofthelens.co.nz/

Shari Barnes Photography Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: $700 Canon 5D? No such thing!!!

Gift/deal...what's the diff?! Point being, he got a great camera at a great price! And it is a great camera, by the way!

Shari

Anastigmat Forum Pro • Posts: 12,677
Re: Thanks to those dumping 5D for 5D2, I got a great deal

I am waiting for the price to fall below $500 before I get mine. LOL

CommonSense wrote:

$700 for a 5D with 100 actuations from a person upgrading. Thank
you upgraders, 5D will be great for me.

dropitlikeitshoff New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Michael 61 and his newfound friend

You guys are great! I love it! It's like Grade 7 all over again!

cityphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 2,510
totally invented

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

cityphotographer wrote:

Pros can work with 10Ds and D70s with no problem.

  • Maybe they can. But they don't. Neither me, nor any other pro that

I'm personally familiar with. Nikon D3 or D3x, Canon 1D Mark III or
1Ds Mark III, or 5D Mark II. People do sometimes keep the older body
as a backup only in case the first one breaks down in the middle of
an assignment. As for the difference in IQ, I can tell you that a
certain wedding photographer that I know was so impressed with 5D
Mark II image quality, that she bought 2 bodies at once - one as main
and one for backup. And sold her older models to people like our OP
for (comparatively) peanuts. Which made them very happy (same as our
OP), because they now can afford a great camera which they - being
amateurs - could or would possibly not afford before.

you know no professional photographer: not even one

see what happens when you make up things in a public forum where you can easily find somebody who knows?

you don't look good now.

LOL

the idea you have about the "professional" world is based on stuff you saw on TV.

it took a split second (to me) to realize that you are a gadget fanatic with no clue

MICHAEL_61 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
Re: totally invented

cityphotographer wrote:

you know no professional photographer: not even one

  • Yes I do.

see what happens when you make up things in a public forum where you
can easily find somebody who knows?

  • I NEVER 'make up' things.

the idea you have about the "professional" world is based on stuff
you saw on TV.

  • I don't have a TV set at home. I don't watch TV.

it took a split second (to me) to realize that you are a gadget
fanatic with no clue

  • My record is clearly visible on my web-site. Unlike yours (if any). And when you are repeatedly saying 'no' to what you see with your own eyes (assuming you bothered to click on the link), you look funny, not me.

http://lordofthelens.co.nz/

cityphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 2,510
one more thing

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

cityphotographer wrote:

you know no professional photographer: not even one

  • Yes I do.

see what happens when you make up things in a public forum where you
can easily find somebody who knows?

  • I NEVER 'make up' things.

the idea you have about the "professional" world is based on stuff
you saw on TV.

  • I don't have a TV set at home. I don't watch TV.

it took a split second (to me) to realize that you are a gadget
fanatic with no clue

  • My record is clearly visible on my web-site. Unlike yours (if any).

And when you are repeatedly saying 'no' to what you see with your own
eyes (assuming you bothered to click on the link), you look funny,
not me.

there is nothing wrong becoming passionate about the new gadgets but when you say that you shoot professionally then I had to stop and take a good look at you.
like I did.

next time don't say that you are a "professional" and everything will be fine (with me): you can even talk about the importance of the camera and that "sometimes" people (your words, meaning the professionals I suppose) do carry backups (as far as you know of course)

but if you say that you are a "pro" then expect my attentions.

woolcan Regular Member • Posts: 442
Re: Thanks to those dumping 5D for 5D2, I got a great deal

I doubt those numbers. Absolutely no way to tell how many shutter clicks on that camera. He or she could have given you any number, no way to tell. So you might have gotten a good deal or you could have gotten ripped off. I hope you got a good deal.

js20D Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: interesting

Ha, i thought was funny.

I agree with you any, the Gadgeteer finds any excuse to upgrade.

Not in the photo business myself, but as with most businesses, it is what your do and the market you target that counts (and the fact that you are successful at that), not really what tool you use.

If quality was such a big deal for the client, they would probably use a photographer with some sort of 60Mp medium format digital back and not even ask about it. They have a common understanding...

Frankly, would you ask your Engineering firm if they use the latest Autocad version, or just trust them to take care of that bit and deliver you with innovative ideas and correct drawings.

MICHAEL_61 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
Re: one more thing

cityphotographer wrote:

when you say that you shoot professionally then I had to stop and
take a good look at you.
like I did.

  • Like you obviously did not. If you would have checked my web-site, you would have clearly seen who and what am I.

next time don't say that you are a "professional"

  • I'm not saying anything about the quality of my photos - that's for other people to judge. I AM however saying that I am a professional since 1985 in the sense that I AM getting paid for photography assignments since then.

camera and that "sometimes" people (your words, meaning the
professionals I suppose) do carry backups (as far as you know of
course)

  • I never said that, you are misquoting me. What I said was that sometimes people KEEP older model cameras as backups.

but if you say that you are a "pro" then expect my attentions.

  • For the umpteenth time, who are you to judge?

http://lordofthelens.co.nz/

cityphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 2,510
you said it better than I did

js20D wrote:

Ha, i thought was funny.

I agree with you any, the Gadgeteer finds any excuse to upgrade.

Not in the photo business myself, but as with most businesses, it is
what your do and the market you target that counts (and the fact that
you are successful at that), not really what tool you use.

If quality was such a big deal for the client, they would probably
use a photographer with some sort of 60Mp medium format digital back
and not even ask about it. They have a common understanding...

Frankly, would you ask your Engineering firm if they use the latest
Autocad version, or just trust them to take care of that bit and
deliver you with innovative ideas and correct drawings.

also because you got my point exactly.

now the new gadgets are fun, I have fun too talking about it, it's our passion after all (and passion is just that.. a passion)

but if I hear that a three years old camera model belongs to a museum because the "clients" want the latest and latest only then I'm afraid that we are talking about something else or the "clients" are not real (invented)

the vast majority of the "clients" don't even know or care. and the few that ask for higher quality sure mean the swedish ones.

5D or 5DII , 1DII or 1DIIn or 1DIII, 1Ds I or II or III mean nuthing to them

so let's keep talking about gadgets and have fun doing it but please let's leave the "clients" to the real professionals (the only ones who actually deal with them)

that said I also believe that the 5D was responsible for driving Canon away from the big studios (studios where Canon entered for the first time ever with the 1Ds cameras): but because of the 5D Canon didn't enlarge the sensor and didn't make a bigger lens mount and 2 or 3 lenses for it. Big mistake: big. Because now hasselblad is able to sell cameras at 30K and up.

After the 5D the only professional use of canon cameras came from the 40,000 sport/PJ/agencies (relying on the 1DII). But then Nikon came out strong and the 1DIII didn't find a good review in Canada and now Canon is losing that segment (as well)

well done, great projection, great marketing. Bravo to Canon. One more step and even Sony is able to compete (and win) at the top and for the same or even less money.

Canon had it all : they produce their own sensors (like sony) but most importantly they produced the first reliable full frame camera (in the 24x36mm class) almost 7 years before the others (not counting Kodak , producing for hasselblad now)

7 years advantage and a precence in the big productions lost.

in the end Canon doesn't have a "pro" mentality. Consumers buy also what they see on TV in the hands of the pros. on TV (granted) but in the medium and long run if they lose the segment there will be no more white lenses (on TV). See how the enthusiasts and advanced amateurs constantly refer to the "pros" ?

oh well

MICHAEL_61 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
Re: you said it better than I did

cityphotographer wrote:

but if I hear that a three years old camera model belongs to a museum

  • Yes I did say this - it does because of IQ difference

because the "clients" want the latest and latest only

  • No I never said that, that was somebody else. Now I understand where are you coming from: you are mixing me up with a different poster. OK, for the record: I never said customers ask for or know anything about cameras.

http://lordofthelens.co.nz/

cityphotographer Senior Member • Posts: 2,510
ehy your problem is this

MICHAEL_61 wrote:

cityphotographer wrote:

but if I hear that a three years old camera model belongs to a museum

  • Yes I did say this - it does because of IQ difference

because the "clients" want the latest and latest only

  • No I never said that, that was somebody else. Now I understand

where are you coming from: you are mixing me up with a different
poster. OK, for the record: I never said customers ask for or know
anything about cameras.

here's your problem:

I wasn't talking to you and I wasn't talking (only) about you

it's not like you have to reply to any single thing I say now because you think that I'm referring to you all the time.

OP CommonSense Regular Member • Posts: 383
Are you the definition police now?

Wow, you must not have a lot to do if you sit around dissecting and defining what a deal is. I never claimed I got this at the store. I got it from a person upgrading. That is what this thread is about, getting a cheap 5D due to upgrade fever.

da_Feeniks wrote:

You may have gotten a private deal that can not possibly be
replicated by anyone (if you're telling the truth), but used 5D's are
still selling for $1,200 - $1,500 on eBay as of this very moment.

You got a gift from a personal friend, not a deal.

Brendan
=====
I am the last sane person on earth.

OP CommonSense Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Is there a windows version?

I bet there is if you do a search, I don't like Windows

Daemeon wrote:

OP CommonSense Regular Member • Posts: 383
I got it from a friend, look on craigslist etc

I got mine from a friend but I know 2 people that got great condition 5D for $900 and $1k on craigslist.

blp0 wrote:

Where are you guys finding these absolutely awesome deals on the 5D?
I can't seem to find them anywhere under 1,200USD!
--
Alastair

Lesson of the day: Nothing is impossible; just not very likely.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads