Diglloyd's Quote About NX 2.2

Started Apr 2, 2009 | Discussions
Hans Giersberg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,938
Diglloyd's Quote About NX 2.2

This is the funniest thing (and probably the truest thing) I've read online in awhile. Here's what Lloyd Chambers (of Diglloyd fame) has to say about NX 2.2:

"...the biggest pile of steaming sh*t ever foisted on digital shooters."

Lloyd, what do you really think

-- hide signature --

I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Web Site - http://www.hgiersberg.com/

K10D Contributing Member • Posts: 810
Re: Diglloyd's Quote About NX 2.2

Iv'e read the quote and he also talks about waiting for several minutes for an image to process!! I suppose I'm one of the lucky ones that has no obvious problem with NX2; sure it could be a tad faster but I never have to wait more than a few seconds for any operation.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Perth, Western Australia

Al Contributing Member • Posts: 731
-- hide signature --

Maybe Digi-retard should consider upgrading that Commodore 64.

photonerdcom Senior Member • Posts: 2,635
It's really too bad that it sucks!

It's too bad that OpenRAW hasn't taken off
--
8^D

anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,511

I don't always agree with Lloyd, but enough that I subscribe to his DAP. It's funny - when I was playing with NX 2.2 last night, I wondered what he'd say, and then I read this post, LOL.

I completely agree with him regarding NX 2.2

I'm a software professional with +20 years experience with well over half of that time spent in large enterprise scale software products that cater to extremely demanding, large corporate clients, so I might know a thing or two about software.

NX 2.2 is, amazingly, even worse in terms of stability than the earlier cruddy versions. Trying to convert a single NEF yesterday that lay in a folder with about 2000 other images, NX 2.2 crashed giving a memory error - something the earlier versions never did. This software is so poorly written (or tested) it's a laughable joke. I used to think that AOL software was the worst written cr*p foisted upon mankind, but NIK, with this version of NX2, might have "won" that dishonor. NX2 is IMO the best for converting NEFs in terms of quality, but by far without question the least usable and the least stable. It's frankly amazing how a piece of commercial software in this modern day and age can s*ck as badly it does.

-m

jb_va2001 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,741
I wouldn't know if Lloyd is right. I gave up on NX long ago. /nt

Hans Giersberg wrote:

This is the funniest thing (and probably the truest thing) I've read
online in awhile. Here's what Lloyd Chambers (of Diglloyd fame) has
to say about NX 2.2:

Peter Hayward Contributing Member • Posts: 672
Agreed...

I simply could not agree more.

I too am in the software industry, for more years than I dare to remember. On previous forums I have lamented NX, be it View or Capture.

Sure Capture produces the best results but heck it is an exercise in frustration at times... too often in fact.

I have been lately using both with XP (with updated Visual Studio runtimes) and Windows 7. Windows 7 is quite noticeably quicker at most operations except cropping. After several steps and several files and you then decide to crop .... make sure you save FIRST.

I have noticed that others with Macs also have problems. On teh other hand some do seem to have problems on either platform. Lucky them. But extrordinary numbers on this forum complain loud and long.

I have plenty of RAM, quick and current machines etc (actually I should not have to run this software on electricty grid dimming platforms to obtain decent performance.

Why do Nik persist with the interface from hell?

Why do Nikon persist with Nik?

Why does not someone from within Nikon give Nik an ultimatum, produce decent software or we'll find another vendor.

Now if we could just run Capture NX from the command line we could just then PS after conversion. Soooooooo much more productivity.

Mr Nikon PLEASE take notice of your customers.

-- hide signature --
 Peter Hayward's gear list:Peter Hayward's gear list
Tamron 18-400mm F3.5-6.3 Apple iPhone X
maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,684
Very funny!

I love the screen captures accompanying his article.

Nikon hired/bought a software company to make
this product. What went wrong?

Diglloyd never pulls any punches.
I love reading his blog.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Kent J
Kent J Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Weird, weird....

I just got through using NX2 2.2 all night doing some pretty intense editing of D700 files without a single problem (Vista 64)-

• and others can't get it to run at all.

I wonder what's up with that?
--
-Kent

Life is too short for slow glass.

Kent J's gear list:Kent J's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +15 more
Jason Abbott
Jason Abbott Regular Member • Posts: 269

He seems to be running a 16 core Mac Pro Nehalem with 32GB RAM.
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2009-03-blog.html#_20090329Software

Al wrote:

Maybe Digi-retard should consider upgrading that Commodore 64.

-- hide signature --
 Jason Abbott's gear list:Jason Abbott's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +7 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 25,769

Jason Abbott wrote:

He seems to be running a 16 core Mac Pro Nehalem with 32GB RAM.
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/2009-03-blog.html#_20090329Software

Runs smooth on a older Mac Pro with 10.5.6. Runs smooth on Vista and XP 64. Runs with problems on 10.5.7. Runs smooth on Voodoo kernel on a Nehalem.

-- hide signature --
adr23 Regular Member • Posts: 276

Runs smooth on a older Mac Pro with 10.5.6. Runs smooth on Vista and
XP 64. Runs with problems on 10.5.7. Runs smooth on Voodoo kernel on
a Nehalem.

Define "smooth". I'm on an older mac pro, and sure, the sliders are smooth (i can slide the heck out of them with zero lag), but everything else is slow - try changing white balance after LCH and few control points. That took nx about 15s to re-render the image using 20-30% cpu load and 1gb of ram.

adrian

adr23's gear list:adr23's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +1 more
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 25,769

Runs smooth on a older Mac Pro with 10.5.6. Runs smooth on Vista and
XP 64. Runs with problems on 10.5.7. Runs smooth on Voodoo kernel on
a Nehalem.

try changing white balance after LCH and
few control points.

I do not use raw converters for postprocessing.

-- hide signature --
Rumpis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,089

Curious - why to convert lot of NEFs? I shoot mostly jpg+nef and use nefs for pics where more postprocessing is needed. Regular jpgs out of D3 are very good.

anotherMike wrote:

I don't always agree with Lloyd, but enough that I subscribe to his
DAP. It's funny - when I was playing with NX 2.2 last night, I
wondered what he'd say, and then I read this post, LOL.

I completely agree with him regarding NX 2.2

I'm a software professional with +20 years experience with well over
half of that time spent in large enterprise scale software products
that cater to extremely demanding, large corporate clients, so I
might know a thing or two about software.

NX 2.2 is, amazingly, even worse in terms of stability than the
earlier cruddy versions. Trying to convert a single NEF yesterday
that lay in a folder with about 2000 other images, NX 2.2 crashed
giving a memory error - something the earlier versions never did.
This software is so poorly written (or tested) it's a laughable joke.
I used to think that AOL software was the worst written cr*p foisted
upon mankind, but NIK, with this version of NX2, might have "won"
that dishonor. NX2 is IMO the best for converting NEFs in terms of
quality, but by far without question the least usable and the least
stable. It's frankly amazing how a piece of commercial software in
this modern day and age can s*ck as badly it does.

-m

-- hide signature --

Rumpis
http://foto.pudele.com/ - Low intensity blog about
photography, Nikon and some other stuff interesting to
me. Just for fun. In Latvian.

M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,448
Maybe it is made by the same people of Lightroom 2.0?

If NX2 is Digital Poopoo than Lightroom 2 is Digital Poopoo SE (Special Edition)

Especailly the terrible slow organizing functionality and the 'slow adjustment brush' is worthless marketing sh*t..

But colleagues of me with a Mac at the desk iare running LR 2.2 with a breeze (it is designed with Mac users in mind as they say)

NX(2) is more aimed at Windows users at least the Windows users I know using NX 2.2 (as also myself) have no problems with performance...is it the most friendly program no, it isn't but it gives excellent output with good performance (if you set it up good) But if a Mac user is 'maccing' about software which is running better on Windows based pc's...I always have my thoughts about it.

Michel

Hans Giersberg wrote:

This is the funniest thing (and probably the truest thing) I've read
online in awhile. Here's what Lloyd Chambers (of Diglloyd fame) has
to say about NX 2.2:

-- hide signature --

~ Disclaimer: Posts written by me are my views, ideas and opinions only, and should not be taken as facts, unless stated otherwise. ~
~ Light is eveything ~

http://www.fotopropaganda.com
http://www.pbase.com/photopropaganda

nicola Senior Member • Posts: 1,769

Apart from its unique ability to pull the best quality out of NEFs and the fact that it is the only software out there capable of rendering a NEF with same in the camera settings as intended by the photographer (i.e. if shooting double format NEF+Jpeg, both the JPEG and NEF versions look the same only in NX, whereas in other software, they look completely different, thus forcing for extra editing), I fully agree with that statement for every other aspect concerning NX2.

-- hide signature --
Re: Maybe it is made by the same people of Lightroom 2.0?

The issue about the "slow adjustment brush" you're experiencing with LR2 is easily solved in Win OS by changing the display settings of the video card. If you google that or visit adobe forum, you'll find plenty of references on the how to do it.

Having said that, I am not a fan of LR/ACR either. Because neither can display NEF files correctly as I intended them to display. But, that is only Nikon's fault and not Adobe's, I guess!!!

If only Nikon would release its secret recipe on how a Raw Converter should read the in-camera settings in a NEF file, I am sure we will all be happier.

-- hide signature --

Rumpis wrote:

Curious - why to convert lot of NEFs? I shoot mostly jpg+nef and use
nefs for pics where more postprocessing is needed. Regular jpgs out
of D3 are very good.

I fully agree with the above statement for color tone, contrast, etc. which can be easily set in-camera with a custom curve (or is called picture control??).

The problems arises when the exposure is a bit off or when wanting to adjut DR, in which case editing NEFs is much easier than editing JPEGs!!!

-- hide signature --
M Lammerse
Re: Maybe it is made by the same people of Lightroom 2.0?

nicola wrote:

The issue about the "slow adjustment brush" you're experiencing with
LR2 is easily solved in Win OS by changing the display settings of
the video card. If you google that or visit adobe forum, you'll find
plenty of references on the how to do it.

Might work in my case too. but the library is terrible to use professinoally with 1000's of images at the same time. If it doesn;t work, I stop using it (I throw of the trail version) The godo things is, there are many options for RAW eiditing, choice enough but I go (for me personally) for the best NEF editing and that is NX2.

The slowness of NX2.0 is largely resolved by setting up good the cache settings. There is always something to nag (or to mac if you are a mac user) about software, especailly if you have negative feelings so and so to windows or mac os etc...well, it is his personal blog...write the daily personal stress off so to say

Having said that, I am not a fan of LR/ACR either. Because neither
can display NEF files correctly as I intended them to display. But,
that is only Nikon's fault and not Adobe's, I guess!!!

do I hear open RAW...

If only Nikon would release its secret recipe on how a Raw Converter
should read the in-camera settings in a NEF file, I am sure we will
all be happier.

If only Microsoft will give it's details on it's kernel and other parts of Windows we al will be happier when others can make it...'better'...I can understand partly why Nikon and other camera producers do not want to give their product details..the bakery at the corner of the street where I live will not tell me either why his bread tastes better than that when I make it my self.

Michel

~ Disclaimer: Posts written by me are my views, ideas and opinions only, and should not be taken as facts, unless stated otherwise. ~
~ Light is eveything ~

M Lammerse
Re: Weird, weird....

Are you on a Mac and hate windows? ooh wait...you aren't, well than you probable have no problems, like me and as many others...by that not saying that the NX2 product is perfect

Michel

Kent J wrote:

I just got through using NX2 2.2 all night doing some pretty intense
editing of D700 files without a single problem (Vista 64)-

• and others can't get it to run at all.

I wonder what's up with that?
--
-Kent

Life is too short for slow glass.

-- hide signature --

~ Light is eveything ~

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads