K20D Freeze

Started Mar 28, 2009 | Discussions
BigIronCruiser Junior Member • Posts: 31
K20D Freeze

My K20D periodically refuses to take pictures, as if it can't focus. It's very frustrating because, as one might expect, it tends to happen at the most inopportune times. It will, by the way, eventually fire by repeatedly pressing the shutter button. The configuration includes a DA* 16-50 in broad daylight with the camera pointed at stationary objects. The green focus indicator lights up, and I can hear the beep. I tested the lens on a K10D to be sure the problem didn't have something to do with the lens.

But it gets worse....the camera froze up on me twice yesterday, with all buttons becoming inoperative, even the on/off switch. The only solution was to remove and re-insert the battery.

The freeze was the last straw, so the body is on its way to Colorado for corrective surgery.

kim_hdr Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: K20D Freeze

I had the same pb with my GX-20 ( K20D clone) I had to send it to Samsung to fix it !!

BigIronCruiser wrote:

My K20D periodically refuses to take pictures, as if it can't focus.
It's very frustrating because, as one might expect, it tends to
happen at the most inopportune times. It will, by the way,
eventually fire by repeatedly pressing the shutter button. The
configuration includes a DA* 16-50 in broad daylight with the camera
pointed at stationary objects. The green focus indicator lights up,
and I can hear the beep. I tested the lens on a K10D to be sure the
problem didn't have something to do with the lens.

But it gets worse....the camera froze up on me twice yesterday, with
all buttons becoming inoperative, even the on/off switch. The only
solution was to remove and re-insert the battery.

The freeze was the last straw, so the body is on its way to Colorado
for corrective surgery.

OP BigIronCruiser Junior Member • Posts: 31

Did they tell you how the GX-20 problem was fixed?

My K20D was repaired by Pentax and returned a few days ago, and there have been no further lock-ups. Pentax just said they replaced some (?) electronics. However, I was reading another site ( http://naturesimage.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/my-pentax-k20d-the-story-so-far/ ) where a fellow had the same freeze problem. He had the body replaced twice, and the issue reoccurred with each body. He thought he was jinxed. Someone suggested replacing the SDHC card, and sure enough, the problem went away. Go figure!

FYI - Even though firmware version 1.03 was available, Pentax did not apply that upgrade while the body was in for repair.

hermanlee Senior Member • Posts: 1,207

BigIronCruiser wrote:

My K20D was repaired by Pentax and returned a few days ago, and there
have been no further lock-ups. Pentax just said they replaced some
(?) electronics. However, I was reading another site

( http://naturesimage.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/my-pentax-k20d-the-story-so-far/ ) where a fellow had the same freeze problem. He had the body replaced twice, and the issue reoccurred with each body. He thought he was jinxed. Someone suggested replacing the SDHC card, and sure enough, the problem went away. Go figure!

Hope this time there won't be a problem for you. Sorry to hear that.
BTW, do you find out that your problem is also caused by SDHC card?
What is your SDHC card brand and type?
Maybe this can help others here who might have similar problem.

-- hide signature --

'SEE BEYOND WHAT YOU SEE'

'I will treasure every moment in my life!'
Herman

hermanlee's gear list:hermanlee's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more

I don't want to hammer the folks that made my memory card, because that might not be what was causing my particular problem. It is, however, something to consider based on the other report. My freezes were intermittent, and Pentax may not have been able to reproduce my experience. As a general practice, they might simply replace the internal electronics as "catch all" solution.

FWIW, I sent the body to Pentax just like it came out of the box when new, which means I had removed the memory card.

Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617
How many days for the repair?

BigIronCruiser wrote:

My K20D was repaired by Pentax and returned a few days ago

Judging by the date of your first post, the repair seems to have taken awhile. I hope you didn't have to be without your camera for that long?

Thank you
Russell

-- hide signature --

'It is impossible to reason a person out of positions they have not been reasoned into'

--Walter Cunningham

Re: How many days for the repair?

Door-to-door repair time was just over 2 weeks, which is actually pretty good. I wasn't without a camera, however, as I'm lucky enough to also have a very capable K10D.

Even though the freeze/lockup problem may have been solved, I still notice that the camera occasionally just sits there after pressing the shutter...if it weren't for the display in the viewfinder, you would think the camera was turned off. It's very frustrating.

rlwilsonjr Regular Member • Posts: 112
Re: How many days for the repair?

Is that by any chance after a very long exposure? Default is to do a second take, same length, with the shutter closed, to be used in compensating for noise in the sensor. During that time, which would be another 30 seconds if you had done a 30-second exposure, it will seem dead.
--
Bob Wilson 265PX

ellarsee Senior Member • Posts: 2,063

I was getting similar behavior with a 16G SDHC card in my K20D, the one that I just got back from repairs.
--
My LBA isn't cured, it's just in financially induced remission
photos at http://flickr.com/ellarsee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads