Just bought SX200, sample pictures and impressions

Started Mar 24, 2009 | Discussions
OP Ezzelin Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Any sensor or LCD hot pixels? n/t

Doesn't appear to be, no. None that I've noticed, anyway, and I've taken an almost entirely black shot.

Bryan Biggers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,579
Re: Just bought SX200, sample pictures and impressions

About the flash pop up, you are saying that even if you have the flash turned off it pops up all the time? Can you turn the flash off? Do you have to push it back down each time you turn the camera off? Does that mean that the camera wastes battery charging the flash each time you turn it on? Does it make a noise when it pops up? I don't know if I'd like that, the noise would announces that "hey, someone's taking a picture" every time I'd turn it on. Wow, kind of a deal breaker for me, I had heard this but was hoping that there was an off setting.

Bryan Biggers's gear list:Bryan Biggers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III
Amir5831 Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: Any sensor or LCD hot pixels? n/t

Thanks for the video's. Nicely demonstrates the quality of this little camera. You took your time and uploaded all those photos and videos to MediaFire, I would like to thank you for that

Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,673

Bryan Biggers wrote:

About the flash pop up, you are saying that even if you have the
flash turned off it pops up all the time? Can you turn the flash off?
Do you have to push it back down each time you turn the camera off?
Does that mean that the camera wastes battery charging the flash each
time you turn it on? Does it make a noise when it pops up? I don't
know if I'd like that, the noise would announces that "hey, someone's
taking a picture" every time I'd turn it on. Wow, kind of a deal
breaker for me, I had heard this but was hoping that there was an off
setting.

One video I saw on it seemed to show that it didn't pop up, but instead motored up as the lens extended, possibly by being mechanically linked to the extending of the lens at power up. I'd be curious to know from the OP if this perception is correct.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more

Yes, the flash electronically raises up sports car headlight style. The little flap behind it moves out of the way and the flash raises up. It's no more noisy than the lens extending, and it doesn't charge unless you turn the flash mode on, so it doesn't take very long at all for the flash and the lens to extend and for the camera to be ready to take a picture. When you power off the camera, the flash automatically retracts itself just as quickly.

Ezzelin wrote:

Yes, the flash electronically raises up sports car headlight style.

LOL. Sexy!

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
nepstein New Member • Posts: 1

I noticed on page 32 of the SX200 manual online that during video recording it says "if you change the composition of your shot during shooting, the focus will stay the same, but the brightness and tone will automatically adjust." Does this mean that auto focus is disabled during video? If so that is worse than not having video zoom.

nepstein wrote:

I noticed on page 32 of the SX200 manual online that during video
recording it says "if you change the composition of your shot during
shooting, the focus will stay the same, but the brightness and tone
will automatically adjust." Does this mean that auto focus is
disabled during video? If so that is worse than not having video zoom.

I couldn't get the SD960IS to focus during video capture, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true of the SX200. This is actually quite common in compact camera video modes. You focus at the beginning of the clip, and focus and zoom remain fixed during the clip.

My S3IS and some of the others like it are the exception, not the rule, by allowing both focus and zoom during video, and doing so competently.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Yes, once the video starts, the focus is fixed. This may be a limitation for some, but for me it's not too big of a problem. In comparison, the ZS3/TZ7 can focus during video, but occasionally it will focus hunt for a while, causing the video to go blurry (not good). And the Samsung HZ10W/WB500 can focus during video as well, but I believe it only does it after zooming. This is a good compromise, but zooming still causes a noise with this camera and also, the video quality is not as good as either the Canon or the Panasonic.

Joshatdot
Joshatdot Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Focus durring video..

I used to have a Nikon Coolpix 3200, and I believe it was focusing during video. But it was annoying to watch the vids, because you would hear every 1/4th of a second this ticking like sound. It wasn't constant ticking, but annoying enuff to bother me.

-- hide signature --

Joshatdot's gear list:Joshatdot's gear list
Nikon D3200 Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot SD980 IS Nikon D40
Bryan Biggers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,579

OK, well a powered flash extend does not sound as bad as I had thought, I was thinking that it was like the pop up type flash that makes a clicking pop noise as it shoots up. Plus it sounds like you are saying that it automatically lowers when you power down instead of you having to push it each time.. now as long as I can keep my fingers off it...

I do note that they seem to be doing some kind of different type of noise reduction at high ISO with this camera; more blurring than Canon usually does> I was just comparing the SX200 with the SD880 over on imaging resource. It isn't bad, just a different approach than you usually see with Canon.

Bryan Biggers's gear list:Bryan Biggers's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M5 III
jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405

Now if they could add zooming during video to the SX200.....wishful thinking...

Ezzelin wrote:

I bought mine at Kenmore Camera, but they only had 4 and one was on
hold. I just got a call from Glazer's Camera today, saying that they
received some as well, though I don't know how many. Still, neither
place will be of much use unless you live in the greater Seattle
area. Looks like they are starting to come in here and there, though,
so I'd call around.

As far as RAW, I sure hope it gets added on. I think they are working
on porting CHDK to the SD990, which uses Digic IV, so my hopes are
high. This would also add a realtime histogram, which would be nice.

I went out earlier on a long walk to take lots more pictures and break in the camera. Once again, I'm still impressed with the image quality (for a compact camera) and all the various manual features. I'm having a lot of fun with it, and the camera is very usable. For those wondering if the ISO can still be quickly adjusted (I think I remember someone asking about that) the Direct Print button can be set to ISO, so one press of that button can bring the ISO menu up quickly. I've been using Focus Check and Focus Lock a lot more now, as well, and both are features that can be very useful for getting sharp focus. IS continues to perform minor miracles, even at zoom and in low light, and high ISOs are noisy but not too much compared to other cameras. There is a general lack of much color noise at any ISO, and the luminance noise is fairly low. Also, it's fairly high frequency, and looks a lot like film grain, so it's some of the less objectionable noise that I've seen. The processing is overall pretty good, with a lack of color blobs or stuck pixels at higher ISO. The most obvious trade off is a slight lack of sharpness at 800 and 1600 ISO, although at times things can still be pretty sharp. I've seen some people remark that the camera smudges out detail, and in certain cases it can, like any compact camera. However, compared to other cameras I'm seeing a lot less smudging, especially compared to other cameras in this sensor size and resolution class. Honestly, I need to make myself use ISO 1600 more. I've shied away from it so far, but looking at the test shots again at imaging-resource reminded me that it's not too bad.

I took a lot more photos, starting at early evening and ending at night. The new shots start here (there's a link to a zip containing the original files in the comment):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezzelin/3383989297

One more neat thing I've found is that the camera can take fairly good macro shots at just shy of 50mm equivalent (47ish). Right around that point, the camera switches from 15cm min focus to 35cm min focus in Macro mode. So if you zoom to the focal length right before the switch, you can take fairly close macro shots at a good working distance with nice DOF control and very low, if any, barrel distortion. The minimum f stop is still 4.0 at this focal length, as well. It's certainly a good sweet spot for the lens.

digitri
digitri Regular Member • Posts: 449

Thanks Ezzelin, appreciated! The camera seems to perform better than I expected from such a sensor, going by your samples. Quite impressive.
--
-digitri
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digitri/

digitri's gear list:digitri's gear list
Canon G7 X II
ajmiarka
ajmiarka Regular Member • Posts: 112

Thanks for all the info in this thread! I just orderded the SX200 from BH Photo as they now have them in stock. Can't wait to try it out!

DjarumBlack Senior Member • Posts: 1,460
Re: Daylight Photos

On the first photo of the street(the one in the IS sample), it appears that canon still hasn't fixed the corner softness in its lenses. I have this problem in my a560, and its quite evident in that shot. The center is sharp, but the corners are softer than I'd expect, at least from a panasonic or canon quality camera.

ISO 400 does seem impressive, however.

Dj

Chadgeek New Member • Posts: 5
I got mine today!

I picked mine up from Canoga Camera today (they had it before amazon). So far my testing has consisted of opening the box while driving to work and using what little charge the battery had to fire some shots from my car window at a stoplight. So I would definitely not call this a test by any means

I am a pretty discerning shooter but not a fulltime pro. I have 2 dslr's and some lenses including my beloved 70-200 2.8. I actually just sold my TZ5 on ebay to get the SX200. Maybe there was a problem with mine but I was never happy with the IQ on the TZ5. The HD was grainy even in lots of light. Lots of noise and artifacts in my images at low ISO's. I thought my wife's SD1000 did a better job overall.

The car shots I took today are clean and smooth, full zoom was decently sharp. I'm excited to do some real shooting now.

On a side note, this cam is pretty heavy and solid!

WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,423
Re: I got mine today!

Chadgeek wrote:

I picked mine up from Canoga Camera today (they had it before
amazon). So far my testing has consisted of opening the box while
driving to work and using what little charge the battery had to fire
some shots from my car window at a stoplight. So I would definitely
not call this a test by any means

I am a pretty discerning shooter but not a fulltime pro. I have 2
dslr's and some lenses including my beloved 70-200 2.8. I actually
just sold my TZ5 on ebay to get the SX200. Maybe there was a problem
with mine but I was never happy with the IQ on the TZ5. The HD was
grainy even in lots of light. Lots of noise and artifacts in my
images at low ISO's. I thought my wife's SD1000 did a better job
overall.

The car shots I took today are clean and smooth, full zoom was
decently sharp. I'm excited to do some real shooting now.

On a side note, this cam is pretty heavy and solid!

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the feedback. I have the TZ5, and had the same exact impressions as you. If you could compare the SX200 to the TZ5 after you get a feel for it, that'd be very helpful.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +2 more
SonnySD Forum Member • Posts: 50

I also got rid of the TZ5 recently. and waiting for the SX200 to become available on Amazon.com.

I got my mother a TZ5, so I've had experience with both as well, and I'd say they're both solid; there's really not that much difference in build quality. The SX200 is indeed metal clad, as I can attest to considering how cold it got last time I went out in that way only metal does. I'd say the only thing that annoys me about the outside of the camera is the right side, which is mirrored, cheap looking, and fingerprint prone. Also, the A/V Out/Digital/HDMI flap is kind of hard to get open, but then again I don't plan on using it much, if ever. The tripod mount could be a little more centered on the bottom of the camera (it's pretty far to the left) but I can understand the physical limitations presented by the design. There's really nowhere else to put it considering the lens goes to the bottom of the camera and the battery slot is on the right. One other nice thing in comparison to the TZ5 and the ZS3 is the left side is nice and flat, which allows you to stand it on a surface.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads