Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

Started Feb 23, 2009 | Discussions
skylark789 New Member • Posts: 6
Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

My new EOS 50D purchased from Trade Cameras in UK is in fact a Korean model. Latest firmware on Canon UK’s site and on Google is 1.0.3 but my new camera shows current firmware of 1.0.5. Can it be that Korea has a version 1.0.5 but UK/US does not? (It surely wouldn’t have accepted 1.0.5 for 40D?)

jsonic Senior Member • Posts: 2,345
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

Most likely it means that there will be a 1.0.5 firmware soon. I wonder what will be new...

JS

Stig Nygaard
Stig Nygaard Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

I recently read in a danish forum that someone in Denmark also got their 50D returned from service with firmware 1.0.5 installed. So it's in Europe too...
--

Stig

http://www.rockland.dk/
http://flickr.com/photos/stignygaard/

 Stig Nygaard's gear list:Stig Nygaard's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +11 more
OP skylark789 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

Thank you Stig, that is re-assuring to know.

Jaims Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
Does anybody know what it fixes/improves? -nt-
n/t
 Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
RovinHoot Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

All the new 50D units are shipped with firmware v1.0.5. And no, until Canon releases the info, nobody knows what the new firmware improves or fixes.

gwhizkids Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

I still have v1.01 installed. Will I be able to upgrade straight to 1.05?

Alan Sh Senior Member • Posts: 2,372
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

Canon's policy seems to be that the latest upgrades contain all the previous ones. So, assuming that continues, then you can do it.

Obviously, I have no real knowledge of this, not having seen the upgrade.....

Alan

 Alan Sh's gear list:Alan Sh's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Canon EOS M100 +14 more
HotspurJr Contributing Member • Posts: 878
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

If history is any guide, they ship cameras with the new firmware for a few weeks before they get the updater online.

Don't know why this should be, mind you, but it seems to happen pretty often.

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,345
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

Interesting as I just upgraded from 1.02 to 1.03 this past Sunday.

Thanks for the information.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron
My PBASE page is new and growing so please be patient.

 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,345
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

I just upgraded my 40D from 1.03 to 1.1.1 with no problems so I think you should be fine.

Bob

gwhizkids wrote:

I still have v1.01 installed. Will I be able to upgrade straight to
1.05?

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron
My PBASE page is new and growing so please be patient.

 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
xxD Contributing Member • Posts: 726
I run faster with new sneakers

and my cameras work better with the lastest firmware.

HyperYagami Regular Member • Posts: 426
Re: I run faster with new sneakers

xxD wrote:

and my cameras work better with the lastest firmware.

I've heard 1.0.6 will be the "full-frame firmware upgrade" for 50D.

Dale Ghent Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Firmware 1.0.5 on 50D

HotspurJr wrote:

If history is any guide, they ship cameras with the new firmware for
a few weeks before they get the updater online.

Don't know why this should be, mind you, but it seems to happen
pretty often.

Probably so that any regressions in the new firmware that are not found during pre-release testing, are found "slowly" with new purchases vs. new purchases + existing owners. Less people are effected and the support team isn't deluged. Plus, I imagine it takes a little time to get the support personnel up to speed with what the changes mean.

Yes, this means that new purchasers are essentially testing the waters wrt. new firmware, but it's overall a more responsible approach, I think.

dale

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: I run faster with new sneakers

HyperYagami wrote:

xxD wrote:

and my cameras work better with the lastest firmware.

I've heard 1.0.6 will be the "full-frame firmware upgrade" for 50D.

yeah, but that is the one with black dots, wait for the 1.0.7 50d-> FF firmware

Imagemaker18 Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: I run faster with new sneakers

bronxbombers wrote:

HyperYagami wrote:

xxD wrote:

and my cameras work better with the lastest firmware.

I've heard 1.0.6 will be the "full-frame firmware upgrade" for 50D.

yeah, but that is the one with black dots, wait for the 1.0.7 50d-> FF
firmware

And, 1.0.8 will be Medium Format, but with red dots, so I will wait for 1.0.9 which will be purrrfect!

Jim Cook Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: I run faster with new sneakers

1.0.5 will turn your 50D into a Nikon D90

jim

 Jim Cook's gear list:Jim Cook's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X100T +9 more
bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: I run faster with new sneakers

Imagemaker18 wrote:

bronxbombers wrote:

HyperYagami wrote:

xxD wrote:

and my cameras work better with the lastest firmware.

I've heard 1.0.6 will be the "full-frame firmware upgrade" for 50D.

yeah, but that is the one with black dots, wait for the 1.0.7 50d-> FF
firmware

And, 1.0.8 will be Medium Format, but with red dots, so I will wait
for 1.0.9 which will be purrrfect!

good plan

Imagemaker18 Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: I run faster with new sneakers

Jim Cook wrote:

1.0.5 will turn your 50D into a Nikon D90

jim

Bummer!

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 14,345
Re: I run faster with new sneakers

Jim Cook wrote:

1.0.5 will turn your 50D into a Nikon D90

jim

Then it will be time to sell it as none of my lenses will fit.

Bob

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron
My PBASE page is new and growing so please be patient.

 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads