Which paper trimmer / cutter?

Started Feb 22, 2009 | Discussions
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 946
Which paper trimmer / cutter?

I am looking at paper trimmers or cutters. I am wondering which type of paper cutter works better for photo prints? Guillotine or rotary? Which brand and size are you using and recommend with positive impression?

Do you buy rolled photo paper and cut it down yourself? Is the saved money worth the trouble?

Thanks.

fotophoto New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Which paper trimmer / cutter?

for me roto trimmer hands down, i have owned the same one for 9 years and it still cuts really good.

yes they are more expensive, but try to trim off a 1/32" on a guillotine with out frays.

FYI---NEVER CUT REGULAR PAPER, try not to hold the parallel bars, dulls the blade over time. once you square your ruler to your printer, if cutting multiple sides always rotate the the edge to the ruler you last cut.

WT Jones Senior Member • Posts: 2,495

I have been down this road. Stay away from the cheep plastic guillotine choppers like the one sold by Fiskers for $80 USD. It has a soft metal blade & if you nick it it binds up & ruins your cuts. They pretty much are junk.

The best kind if guillotine is the kind like used in schools or commercial shops with hardened & ground steel blades. I will scouring the flea markets this summer for one. in the interim I lucked out as my wife is a Quilter and has a multitude of hand held rotary cutters & old cutter mats. We cut a bunch of Family Shots for Christmas gifts on the cheep with her quilting cutters & a plastic straight edge. It worked every bit as well as a chopper , but was a bit slower.
--
Warren

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,809

there are 3 'top' brands and the 1 that is everyone's favorite is the Rotatrim. For less $$, there is Saunders and Dahle. Thats about it in the world of really good trimmers.

BrianZ Senior Member • Posts: 1,472

RotaTrim.

I have used their 18 inch model to cut thousands of prints over the last 3 years and it still works great. Very precise - you can cut off just a hair if you need to and do it perfectly. It may cost more, but it's money well spent if you intend to use it a lot.
http://www.thebestthings.com/photoimg/rotatrim.htm

RGBCMYK Senior Member • Posts: 1,884

I have a rototrim that is over 20 years old and cuts just like new. It is so old it has the fake wood grain formica. This is a standard in most commercial labs. Dahle board cutters with the clamp bar are my favorite for chopping matt boards.
--
http://www.christopherbroughton.com

RGBCMYK's gear list:RGBCMYK's gear list
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 +1 more
Eric Chan Senior Member • Posts: 2,800

I am looking at paper trimmers or cutters. I am wondering which type
of paper cutter works better for photo prints? Guillotine or rotary?
Which brand and size are you using and recommend with positive
impression?

I have a Rotatrim 24" that is flawless. Highly recommended.

Do you buy rolled photo paper and cut it down yourself? Is the saved
money worth the trouble?

No, I don't.

For the papers that I buy, usually sheets and rolls cost the same (in terms of $ unit area).

I also don't like doing this because unless I take care to flatten the cut sheet prior to printing, I may get a head strike with the printer I'm using (3800). And with delicate papers, it's hard for me to flatten the cut sheet without scuffing up the surface in some way.

C Wills Senior Member • Posts: 2,189

Another vote for Rototrim. I have the 12 in and have had it for many years. It still works perfectly and slices thru paper with ease. And like others have said, you can even trim off a hair-thin slice easily.

-- hide signature --

Chandra

Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 8,809

I obsessed about this decision waay more than I should have but in the end, my 24" Rotatrim arrives tomorrow!

I was going to get the Saunders but then I found out that they moved production to China and I wasn't into that.

Kim Johnson Junior Member • Posts: 31

Another vote for the rotary trimmer. We have had a Neolt commercial trimmer in our office for 10 + years. We do mostly mapping on bond and photo-paper rolls and trim all output. Very expensive to start with but after 10 years it is the cheapest thing in the shop. Couldn't live without it.
--
---;
Kim

OP (unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 946

Eric Chan wrote:
I have a Rotatrim 24" that is flawless. Highly recommended.

Do you buy rolled photo paper and cut it down yourself? Is the saved
money worth the trouble?

No, I don't.

For the papers that I buy, usually sheets and rolls cost the same (in
terms of $ unit area).

I also don't like doing this because unless I take care to flatten
the cut sheet prior to printing, I may get a head strike with the
printer I'm using (3800). And with delicate papers, it's hard for me
to flatten the cut sheet without scuffing up the surface in some way.

OK; the general consensus is for Rotatrim. I have a question though: if you don't buy rolled paper, what use a 24" trimmer have for you? I thought a large trimmer is for cutting wide paper rolls. Otherwise, what else?

Thanks.

C Wills Senior Member • Posts: 2,189

raminolta wrote:

OK; the general consensus is for Rotatrim. I have a question though:
if you don't buy rolled paper, what use a 24" trimmer have for you? I
thought a large trimmer is for cutting wide paper rolls. Otherwise,
what else?

I don't use roll paper. I only have the 12" Rototrim. When I print on 13x19" sheet paper, it won't fit in my 12" Rototrim. I have to drag out a cutting mat, a ruler and a manual rotary cutter (like what quilters use). Since I only print this size on occassion, it's not that big of deal. But, if you print that large very often, the 24" would be worth it.

-- hide signature --

Chandra

Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,045

It's probably worth noting that the Dahle rotary cutters run about half the price of the Rotatrims. I have the Dahle 552, which has a 20-1/8" cut width, and it works fine for me. It will trim very thin slices, as others have commented about Rotatrim.

Ray

Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
BrianZ Senior Member • Posts: 1,472

That's why I got an 18" Rotatrim, since it handles my printer's 13x19" paper if I want to trim it down to say, 12x18, plus everything else smaller than that.

dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,421

I use a 39" (nominaly 1m) cut Dahle which allows me to trim A1 prints from my 7800 along the long edge. It will trim 1/10th mm from an edge without fraying. It also has a 2.5mm cutting capacity so is useful for cutting mounting board and mats from an A0 sheets. Not cheap but well worth the expense if you frame your own work.

Unlike some cheaper rotary cutters the self sharpening rotating hardened steel blade is 3mm thick and will last for ever, the cutting guides are also user adjustable to maintain an exact 90 degree cut.

if you get a chance to try before buy, take in an A3 sheet and trim 0.5mm from each edge rotating the sheet 90 degrees between each cut , after several rotations the sheet should still be a perfect rectangle, if not don't buy!
dave

yatesd
yatesd Regular Member • Posts: 298

This $159 Dahle model seems good for someone who just needs to trim 13" x 19" or smaller:

http://www.buy-dahle-paper-cutters.com/Dahle-552-Rolling-Trimmer-Paper-Cutter.htm

-- hide signature --

Doug

Ken Phillips Forum Pro • Posts: 16,361
I used rolled paper ... and a Rotatrim ...

... and I simply use a de-roller to straighten it (I made my own). I print "packages" on 24" paper (one package was ten feet long!)
Miles of cutting on the Rotatrim ... every cut has been perfect.
KP

-- hide signature --

http://www.ahomls.com/photo.htm
http://www.phillipsphotographer.com

'The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.', H. L. Mencken

Klippers New Member • Posts: 1

I am personally a huge fan of Rotatrim brand rotary cutters. They are very precise and get the job done. That is my personal preference, but I have used one for years and can tell you it is effective. It may work for you. Good luck!

http://www.officezone.com/rotary1.htm

BillCarr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,045
  1. 1: Rotatrim. Most expensive, but worth it. Available in many sizes.

1. 2: Rotatrim eurocut single-rail cutter. Less expensive, harder to find.

1. 3: Dahle premium rolling trimmer

1. 4 bargain item: Making Memories rotary trimmer, not bad for $50

Also look into the Speedpress Magic Cutting mat. You can get an 11x17 inch sheet for something like $12

JackieBrooks888 New Member • Posts: 4

BrianZ wrote:

That's why I got an 18" Rotatrim, since it handles my printer's 13x19" paper if I want to trim it down to say, 12x18, plus everything else smaller than that.

I have a 12" old gray Fiskars trimmer. I love it and couldn't scrap without it. I love it and couldn't scrap without it. I hear lots of complaints about them, but whenever I got to a crop, what is everybody taking out of their crop bag? Yep...the old gray Fiskars trimmer.

Learn more visit here

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads