New TS-E shows canon's video commitment

Started Feb 18, 2009 | Discussions
semorg Contributing Member • Posts: 963
New TS-E shows canon's video commitment

Given most of the shifting can now be done digitally, and these lenses have a long natural depth of field. You have to think why canon would be releasing these lenses now.

I am guessing they are really committed to providing high end videos via their SLRs. These lenses would make a great tool for any video production that needs to capture architecture videos and more and would give canon a distinct edge in coming slr-based video wars.

What video system out there would allow such a wide coverage with ability to shift. Imagine doing a travel video on paris, or any other European city. These lenses will become the killer app off the travel video production.

-- hide signature --

must watch: http://www.climatecrisis.net/
My Latest Gallery: From Peru to Chile: http://www.pbase.com/salim/peruchile2005

joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,970
Re: New TS-E shows canon's video commitment

very valid comment - I simply thought about the stitching capabilities but it could turn out to be the killer feature for videos.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Gives me a new perspective on these lenses
--
isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
robind75 Regular Member • Posts: 153

Anyway, at this price range (2300-2500eur), those lenses should better be audio-video-multi-purpose-whatever and include a nice leather bag with your name on it.

GaryJP
GaryJP Veteran Member • Posts: 6,604
Canon's been doing video a long time

And some of their video cameras accept EF lenses.

However, given the smaller censors they typically don't take full advantage of the lens, which may be why these are so wide.

GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony RX100 II Canon G1 X II Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon G7 X II +16 more
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,970

robind75 wrote:

Anyway, at this price range (2300-2500eur), those lenses should
better be audio-video-multi-purpose-whatever and include a nice
leather bag with your name on it.
--

looking at the 'competition' it is a bargain!!!!

The Hartblei super rotator 40 mm costs twice the price, the Schneider-Kreuznach 28 mm +& Cambo X2 Pro costs about 3x the price.

A Hasselblad 40 Mpixel medum format costs about 8 x the price with less flexibility and much more weight.

The target market of these lenses is not low cost crop size sensor DSLR niche but the high end ff DSLRs that would rather like to buy medium format digital backs but can't afford it (like me).

It is the best news within years of photography for me. My 5D II + these new lenses gives me back what I lost when I decided to go digital. Being used to the flexibility of large format photograph it is a huge step back using 35 mm equipment with all the limitations in perspective because a Schneider-Kreuznch Super Angulon XL f/5.6 72 mm (on 5x7 inch) gives the equivalent of 14 mm in 35 mm with shift and tilt possibility - especially for architecture this is the golden standard for tripod huggers like me

Now we're talking Canon!!

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +13 more
five0guy Regular Member • Posts: 410
You couldn't be more wrong

I own and use Canon tilt shift lenses. These newly introduced lenses are in part a response to Nikons 24 PCE tilt shift lens. Canon previous 24mm TSE was long in the tooth and soundly beaten by Nikons recent offering.

By offering both a 24mm and 17mm that can be user adjusted to fully adjust tilt and shift in all planes they one up Nikon and offer something they (Nikon) dont. And of course they dont have a 17mm.

I would expect both the 45mm TSE and 90mm TSE will also be updated within a year or so. They likely will become L series with this round of upgrades. I would expect MSRP to double - making the current series a bargain while it lasts. The current 45mm and 90mm are sharp even wide open with a good copy.

These are low volume lenses and are primarily used by architectual, product photographers and landscape to much lesser degree although quite useful for that genre. People shooting video and using these lenses would be likely less than 1% of sales and not a reason or target for this upgrade.

five0guy's gear list:five0guy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony a7R Nikon D810 Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +9 more
robind75 Regular Member • Posts: 153

Canon's previous TS lenses line-up was in the 1100-1200eur range.
Nikon's PC-E lenses are more in the 1800-1900 eur range.

ed209 Contributing Member • Posts: 997
Prefer a 35mm

Whilst the 17mm is very impressive and the 24mm update welcome (even though the existing 24mm is still a pretty good lens), I would have prefered a 35mm. Given they already have a design, I am a little surprised it hasn't been transfered to the current mount. Maybe a 35mm will come out eventually.

Regarding doing shifting digitally, yes it can be done but it is a cumbersome process and very "un-photographic" in that you can't frame the image accurately so have to shoot wide. I have also rarely seen digitally shifted photos where the perspective matches how a real shift lens would do it. And then tilting can't be done in PP anyway.

The TSE lenses are one of the main reasons I set myself up with Canon - I'm really pleased these new lenses have been announced (even if I can't begin to afford them!).

Do the 45 and 90 versions really need updating? Both are very high quality.

I have the 24 and 90 and badly want the 45 but in the UK, the price has gone up hugely recently. About a year ago, you could import one for about £600. Now the import prices are over £700 and the UK price is something like £1100. Gulp.

Ed

DarkShift Regular Member • Posts: 292
Re: Prefer a 35mm

ed209 wrote:

Whilst the 17mm is very impressive and the 24mm update welcome (even
though the existing 24mm is still a pretty good lens), I would have
prefered a 35mm. Given they already have a design, I am a little
surprised it hasn't been transfered to the current mount. Maybe a
35mm will come out eventually.

Did you know the original 24 TS-E is compatible with TC 1.4. I've not tried this combo yet, but IQ is said to be quite good.

Hopefully the new version works too with it.

DarkShift's gear list:DarkShift's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R IV Nikon Z7 II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +19 more
ed209 Contributing Member • Posts: 997

No, I didn't know that - very useful, thank you!

Can it be used with the 90mm TSE as well?

Ed

Richard Fossum Senior Member • Posts: 1,404
Re: You couldn't be more wrong

The two new TS's from Canon sure looks impressive. I use Nikon and the 24mm PC-E, but there are times I wish I could combine tilt or shift without sending in the lens, just like Canon offers with these new ones. Very impressive.

I note, however, that they don't offer as much shift as the Nikkor (?). For me that use the TS for landscapes (focus tilt and shifting for stiching), that's a drawback.

Anyway, Canon got a lot more interesting with these lenses. It will be very interesting to see what kind of corner sharpness that comes out of the Canon offerings!

five0guy wrote:

I own and use Canon tilt shift lenses. These newly introduced lenses
are in part a response to Nikons 24 PCE tilt shift lens. Canon
previous 24mm TSE was long in the tooth and soundly beaten by Nikons
recent offering.

By offering both a 24mm and 17mm that can be user adjusted to fully
adjust tilt and shift in all planes they one up Nikon and offer
something they (Nikon) dont. And of course they dont have a 17mm.

I would expect both the 45mm TSE and 90mm TSE will also be updated
within a year or so. They likely will become L series with this round
of upgrades. I would expect MSRP to double - making the current
series a bargain while it lasts. The current 45mm and 90mm are sharp
even wide open with a good copy.

These are low volume lenses and are primarily used by architectual,
product photographers and landscape to much lesser degree although
quite useful for that genre. People shooting video and using these
lenses would be likely less than 1% of sales and not a reason or
target for this upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Richard.

rrcphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173

nikkor - 11.5 mm shift, 24 TS-E .. 12mm shift.

I"ve tried several copies of the original 24mm TSE and all dissapointed in the corners. I have used the 1.4TC with the 90mm TSe and that works great. Very sharp.

Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony a7R Nikon D810 Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 +9 more
thx1138
thx1138 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,162

five0guy wrote:

I own and use Canon tilt shift lenses. These newly introduced lenses
are in part a response to Nikons 24 PCE tilt shift lens. Canon
previous 24mm TSE was long in the tooth and soundly beaten by Nikons
recent offering.

By offering both a 24mm and 17mm that can be user adjusted to fully
adjust tilt and shift in all planes they one up Nikon and offer
something they (Nikon) dont. And of course they dont have a 17mm.

I would expect both the 45mm TSE and 90mm TSE will also be updated
within a year or so. They likely will become L series with this round
of upgrades. I would expect MSRP to double - making the current
series a bargain while it lasts. The current 45mm and 90mm are sharp
even wide open with a good copy.

These are low volume lenses and are primarily used by architectual,
product photographers and landscape to much lesser degree although
quite useful for that genre. People shooting video and using these
lenses would be likely less than 1% of sales and not a reason or
target for this upgrade.

Actually I don't see the 45 and 90 being updated any time soon as they are optically a lot better than the old 24. Maybe the 45 will be first, but I'd say at least 2 years away. Surely they have to do some zooms next like the 24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

DarkShift Regular Member • Posts: 292
24mm + TC1.4

five0guy wrote:

I"ve tried several copies of the original 24mm TSE and all
dissapointed in the corners. I have used the 1.4TC with the 90mm TSe
and that works great. Very sharp.

Thanks for the report.

Was the 24mm+1.4TC disappointing with or without shifting (vertical/horizontal)?

And with which aperture (smaller aperture should give larger imaging circle)?

DarkShift's gear list:DarkShift's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a7R IV Nikon Z7 II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +19 more
OP semorg Contributing Member • Posts: 963
Re: Canon's been doing video a long time

GaryJP wrote:

And some of their video cameras accept EF lenses.

However, given the smaller censors they typically don't take full
advantage of the lens, which may be why these are so wide.

canon video camera that take eos lenses via adapters have typically been doing a 5-7x crop. No matter how wide you go here it still wont be that useful.

LDunn1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,914

......I can see your thinking. My initial thought was 'why have they bothered with tilt/shift lenses when you can relatively easily correct digital images for this anyway.

.....You would seem to have provided a potential answer.....although I am not convinced - if they had video purely in mind, I think they may also have bolted on IS too.

I'd like to see a 16-35 f2.8 L with IS or something similar.....currently i believe that the widest IS equipped lens for FF is the 24-105.....but thats a tad slow at f4 & it would be nice to go wider.

LDunn1's gear list:LDunn1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +7 more
Richard Fossum Senior Member • Posts: 1,404

rrcphoto wrote:

nikkor - 11.5 mm shift, 24 TS-E .. 12mm shift.

You are right. A perfect example on why one should not take statements from fellow forum members as truths until proven otherwise.

Also it is interesting to see that Canon has chosen a 82mm filter thread, as opposed to Nikon's 77mm. Maybe the Canon can get away with fatter filters than the Nikkor. A pro for the Canon in that case. Anyway, as I've mentioned, these lenses sure made Canon look a bit more attractive IMO.
--
Best,
Richard.

OP semorg Contributing Member • Posts: 963

LDunn1 wrote:

......I can see your thinking. My initial thought was 'why have they
bothered with tilt/shift lenses when you can relatively easily
correct digital images for this anyway.

.....You would seem to have provided a potential answer.....although
I am not convinced - if they had video purely in mind, I think they
may also have bolted on IS too.

my thinking is, anytime you do shifting, you are most likely on tripod. Otherwise it's easy to lose the perspective correction that you've gained. So this might explain not putting IS on these babies. Also, I am not sure how difficult it would be to have an IS system inside a lens system that tilts and shifts.
--
must watch: http://www.climatecrisis.net/
My Latest Gallery: From Peru to Chile: http://www.pbase.com/salim/peruchile2005

Actually I read here in a thread that they would roll out the new TSE's in two phases - wides first. The post was correct about the first phase and I suspect will be about the second phase being the 45 and 90mm. You forget Nikon has a all new tilt and shift line up. Canon will not allow Nikon to have that lead. They soundly counterpunched with 17 and 24mm having user adjustable tilt shift in all planes. I think you will see the same in 45mm and 90mm. This would give them a LARGE advantage over Nikons line up - smart.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads