New PowerShot Models Confirmed on Canon USA

Started Feb 17, 2009 | Discussions
powershotbookguy Forum Member • Posts: 78
New PowerShot Models Confirmed on Canon USA

In the course of researching a comprehensive book on all PowerShot digital cameras, I have become extremely adept at navigating the Canon USA website, and do so many times daily. I had found it quite curious that there had been no mention of the A480 despite its European introduction in January. This morning, I, too, saw the brief display of the SD780 IS and the SD 960 IS models, and was able to print out the data sheet sets for both models before they were removed from the site.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that the Download Library listed a number of new PowerShot models, perhaps in preparation for an announcement tomorrow. The links to the data sheets on the new models are not yet operative, but the listings are there for all to see. The speculation can now end: here are the eight new models coming to Canon USA:

A480
A1100 IS
A2100 IS

SD780 IS
SD960 IS
SD1200 IS

SX1 IS
SX200 IS

I'm sure that you all noticed that the CMOS PowerShot SX1 IS that was introduced in Europe last September is finally coming to North America.

Of significant note is the absence of listings for any new EOS DSLR models. I did not check for any new SLR lenses yet, because that is outside my area of expertise and would take significantly more time for me to research. I wanted to get this information out to you quickly ... now we can all wait together in anticipation of what these new models actually will be.

CarFreak8394 Contributing Member • Posts: 983
Re: New PowerShot Models Confirmed on Canon USA

Should be very interesting.. Thanks for the information.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tim_degilio/

Tim.
Canon A560
Canon G10 with 4GB Class 6 SDHC Memory Card
Canon SD870IS with 1 GB Sandisk and 2GB Kingston Memory Card
Sony H-50 with 1GB, 2GB, & 4GB Mark ll Memory Cards and Info-Lithium Battery

BIJ001 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,784

Of significant note is the absence of listings for any new EOS DSLR models.

The Powershot A6xx line seems to have been discontinued as well.

-- hide signature --

Iván József Balázs
(Hungary)

BIJ001's gear list:BIJ001's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11
sorinx Contributing Member • Posts: 707
A series is dead

No A6xx; No A5xx
Also no S90

Maybe SD1200 IS will bring something interesting.

Exif_phile Regular Member • Posts: 282

Thanks for the info. A lot of us were looking for the Canon announcments today on Canon USA, dpreview and dcresource, etc., but wondered where they were. (I guess canonrumors almost had it right!) The Canon page was gone when I looked earlier this morning.

Maybe the original announcment was supposed to be today (the 17th), but Canon changed it when a whole bunch of Sony and Fuji stuff got announced, so they didn't get overshadowed!

Mike

OP powershotbookguy Forum Member • Posts: 78
Canon USA removes the Download Library listings of the new models

The listings for the eight new PowerShot models mentioned in my first post have now been removed from the Download Library at Canon USA. (Perhaps what was seen today was a trial verification run of the new web pages.) It is fortunate that I happened to be checking it out while they were still there. Hopefully they will reappear tomorrow with all of the data sheets as well.

Exif_phile Regular Member • Posts: 282
Re: Canon USA removes the Download Library listings of the new models

Even trying the "back way in" was working and has now quit working too.

Mike

Mk7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,347
Re: A series is dead

Maybe SD1200 IS will bring something interesting.

Unless it's just an SD1100IS with more pixels. Great, another pathetic 3x zoom shelf-filler. Maybe we'll get lucky, and it'll actually be something exciting.

At least Canon finally has HD video. It only took them two years to catch up to lowly Kodak with that feature.

Pro2, A660, A730, A600, G6.5, SD560, TX2 and S90!

I can dream, can't I?
SD960 Features-

12.1 Megapixel resolution with a 28mm wide-angle 4x Optical Zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilizer.

HD movie shooting capability plus HDMI output for easy playback of video and photos on your HDTV.
Large 2.8-inch PureColor LCD II widescreen and wide viewing angle.

Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on 18 predefined shooting situations.

New Active display technology for quickly switching between images during playback with a shake of the camera.
Four elegant, sophisticated colors with a new easy to use button configuration.

DIGIC 4 Image Processor has evolved Face Detection Technology that tracks the faces of moving subjects and lets the shooter enter the frame seamlessly with the Face Detection Self-timer.

SD780IS Features-
Ultra slim and ultra hip design in 4 colors: Red, Black, Silver and Gold.

Compact yet feature rich with 12.1 Megapixel resolution, 3x Optical Zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilizer.

HD movie shooting capability plus HDMI output for easy playback of video and photos on your HDTV.

Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on 18 predefined shooting situations.
Large, crisp 2.5-inch PureColor LCD II and wide viewing angle.

DIGIC 4 Image Processor has evolved Face Detection Technology that tracks the faces of moving subjects and lets the shooter enter the frame seamlessly with the Face Detection Self-timer.
It's Alive with Color.
Ultra slim and ultra hip design in 4 colors: Red, Black, Silver and Gold.

It takes meticulous engineering to create a camera so slim and stylish and so impressively equipped with Canon's most advanced camera features. It takes a decisive spirit to decide which color is the real you. Uninhibited splashes of Red, Black, Silver and Gold define a new generation of camera design - cool, assured and ready to hit the road with loads of fashion impact. The PowerShot SD780 IS Digital ELPH will be your fave fashion accessory. Sleek enough to tuck anywhere. Bold enough to be the center of attention.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Hank3152
Hank3152 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,499

powershotbookguy wrote:

Of significant note is the absence of listings for any new EOS DSLR
models.

The oldest contender is the 1DsmkIII which is barely 18mos old. The 50D and 5DII were recently unveiled last fall so I wouldn't expect an upgrade any time soon. The 450D/XSi was announced last year this time and they usually run in 18mo cycles, so you may not see anything until August.
There was talk of an improved L lens, the 24-70f/2.8 with IS, ...........
--
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
SD960 video specs, etc.

Time of Recordable Movies
High Definition Standard Definition
1,280 x 720 640 x 480 320 x 240
30 fps 30 fps 30 fps
Movie size (KB/sec.) 2,955 1,316 394
2GB 10 min. 53 sec. 23 min. 49 sec. 1 hr. 13 min. 10 sec.
8GB 43 min. 32 sec. 1 hr. 35 min. 11 sec. 4 hr. 52 min. 24 sec.
Note: N=Normal F=Fine

Storage Capacity varies depending on camera settings. This data is estimated from Canon's standard shooting conditions. Figures for Movie Mode represent total capacity of the particular media.

Playback Specifications
Playback Modes File

Still Image: Single, Magnification (approx. 2x-10x), Jump, Auto Rotate, Rotate, Resume, My Colors, My Category, By Date, By Folder, By File Type, Transition Effects, Histogram, Overexposure Warning, Index (9 thumbnails), Slide Show, Red-eye Correction, Trimming, Resize, Image Inspection Tool, i-Contrast
Movie: Normal Playback, Special Playback, Auto Rotate, Resume

Erasing Specifications
Erase Modes

Still Image: single image, select range, select by date, select by category, select by folder, all images
Movie: part of movie, all of movie

Interfaces
Computer Interface
USB 2.0 Hi-Speed (mini-B jack)

Video Out
NTSC/PAL

Audio Out
Monaural

Other

Mini-HDMI cable: connection to high definition monitor; Memory card slot: direct connection to Canon SELPHY Compact Photo Printers, PIXMA Inkjet Photo Printers and PictBridge-compatible printers via camera's USB 2.0 Hi-Speed cable

Power Supply
Power Source
1. Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery NB-4L 2. AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC10 (optional)

Shooting Capacity
Still Image: approx. 200 shots*

Playback Time

Approx. 300 min. * LCD screen on. The above figures comply with CIPA testing standards and apply when fully-charged batteries are used.

Physical Specifications
Operating Temperature
32-104°F/0-40°C

Operating Humidity
10-90%

Dimensions (WxHxD)
3.85 x 2.12 x 0.87 in. 97.9 x 54.1 x 22.1mm

Weight
Approx. 5.11 oz. 145g (camera body only)

PeterNMIF Senior Member • Posts: 2,438
What do you suppose the SX200 is?

Just wondering if this is another superzoom? Maybe with RAW and a few more features... like a bigger sensor with less ambitious lens.

Peter F.

PeterNMIF's gear list:PeterNMIF's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus E-M1 +1 more
Mayank B
Mayank B Regular Member • Posts: 102
Canon USA website has been updated with two new cams

PowerShot SD780 IS and PowerShot SD960 IS
See:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=NewProductsAct&fcategoryid=101
(clicking on more info leads to an application error page...)

gkoerber Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: What do you suppose the SX200 is?
Maddiestoys Regular Member • Posts: 135

Is this for real?

If it is... it might be the only worthwhile new entry

The answer to the panny tz7

...as it looks like a compact - with a 12x zoom

Maddie

macshark Senior Member • Posts: 2,848
Now they took those off, too

It's amazing how much effort Canon is putting in to clean up stuff that will probably be announced by tomorrow anyway...

macshark Senior Member • Posts: 2,848
No AVHDC? (nt)
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,458

Maddiestoys wrote:

Is this for real?

If it is... it might be the only worthwhile new entry

The answer to the panny tz7

...as it looks like a compact - with a 12x zoom

Maddie

-- hide signature --

I really wanted to like the TZ5, but just didn't quite like the IQ. If this is real, I'm sold, though with the new economic environment, it might have to wait as a bday present.

This shot shows M/Av/Tv mode!
news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10000374-3.html?s=0&o=10000374&tag=mncol;thum

No even hint of an APS-C compact

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 100-300mm F4-5.6 II Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +6 more

I agree, the SX200 is the only one of the bunch that I'm interested in. It better have at least 28mm on the wide end, though, or it's not a TZ-beater. But it has manual controls!

Maddiestoys Regular Member • Posts: 135

I would have really liked an OVF... but that would be too much to hope for...after all...I'm pretty sure I'm the only one on the face of the earth who still wants one!

Maddie

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads