A Little More Fuel On The D400 Rumor Fire . . .

Started Feb 14, 2009 | Discussions
jhinkey
jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
A Little More Fuel On The D400 Rumor Fire . . .

Well, I don't normally contribute to the rumor mill, but since I'm in the market for a D300 I thought I'd pass this along, so all caveats apply to sources of info . . .

This morning I was at the biggest photography store in town to get an estimate on some used gear that I am considering liquidating or trading in on the D300. The salesman did not recommend that I do the deal now if I could wait because of two things:

• A Nikon rep who was just in the store the week earlier when asked about the D400 would only respond by saying what was NOT going to be announced at the PMA or shortly thereafter, with the D400 NOT being mentioned. Thus in the salesman's view the D400 is imminent. Take this FWIW.

• The sales guys were also told that the price of the D300 would be coming down to $1499 in the next few weeks - current MSRP is at $1,799 I believe, although B&H is offering it at $1,499 once you put it in your cart. There may be some confusion as to the actual price, but he was pretty adamant that the price was coming down soon to clear stock. Rare that a salesman will tell you to wait to buy something from him so that you could get a better price.

Anyways, take this little bit of information (accurate or inaccurate as it may be) and do what you want with it, and we'll see if any of it makes sense in a couple of weeks.

We did not talk specs on the D400 because he didn't know and I don't care. I don't need a D400 (a D300 will do quite nicely).

I for one am waiting to buy a D300 in hopes of a price reduction (I don't need one right now and can wait a month or two).

• John

-- hide signature --

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Panasonic G85 +27 more
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,135
Re: A Little More Fuel On The D400 Rumor Fire . . .

John, a well-delivered rumor with plenty of caveats and FWIW. :> ) Time will tell, of course, whether there's any truth to it. But it does appear that if someone's on the fence about buying a D300, it may give them reason to hold off a couple more months.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +14 more
gsmornot Contributing Member • Posts: 944

Sounds good. The only thing that would make me move to a D400 at this point would be sensor performance the level of the D700 or D3. If I were a new buyer or had something other than a D300 I would have a hard time not waiting. Whatever the specs are I can say they should be better than what we have now otherwise who would want to buy it over a D300. I'm curious what it will look like but my next goal is D700 or better. Not for the full frame but the performance. At this point the FF is something that keeps me from the upgrade today. The cost of the lenses needed are just not in the budget for someone in my position.

Rant over. Thanks for passing along what you heard and ignore most of what I said above.
--
Nikon-
http://pdbruce.zenfolio.com

psandham
psandham Senior Member • Posts: 2,015
Did he tell you about the new 70-200 too?......n/t
-- hide signature --

pjs

'Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography.'
George Eastman

psandham's gear list:psandham's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
jhinkey
OP jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Did he tell you about the new 70-200 too?......n/t

Nope. I didn't ask and he didn't tell.

• John

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic LX100 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II Panasonic G85 +27 more
Pat Joh Contributing Member • Posts: 903
Re: Did he tell you about the new 70-200 too?......n/t

Did the Nikon rep say that there wouldn't be a 80-400VR?

zhemgang Regular Member • Posts: 382

Did the salesman say what would NOT be announced?

jhinkey
OP jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,814

Unfortunately we only talked about the D300 and D400. Sorry that's all I got! I did say a LITTLE more fuel on the fire after all . . . .

I should have asked him about an updated 70-200/2.8 since I'd like to grab one of those later on in the year. Oh well, a missed opportunity for more rumor fuel.

• John

-- hide signature --

jafo818 Contributing Member • Posts: 895

Another camera will be announced. When and what the model it will be is uncertain.
--
JAFO

D300, 17-55, 70-200 VR, 50 1.8, SB-800, MB-D10, Think Tank Digital Holster 20
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jafopix/

jafo818's gear list:jafo818's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads