OT Fun - Killer New Sensor

Started Feb 13, 2009 | Discussions
EverStaR Regular Member • Posts: 282
OT Fun - Killer New Sensor

Check this out, here is some fun for Photo Geeks..

http://radphotos.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=2

-- hide signature --

Its all in the hands and mind, not the camera!
Mark

Rexyinc
Rexyinc Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: OT Fun - Killer New Sensor

the sensor name is EverStaR.. and so is yours.. so whats the deal here brother?

'The likes of this camera has never been seen before nor will it ever actually be seen and will be available to photographers in December of 2000 never!'

OP EverStaR Regular Member • Posts: 282
Just for Fun

Nothing more than my idea of what a future product might look like and how it might work and represent improvements over what we have today.

Listening to many complaints about cameras and the fact that the perfect 35mm DSLR does not exist, I thought I might draw up something that would be closer to the end product many of us desire.

I think that Thom Hogan hit the nail on the head when he talked about Nikon needing to provide more service around its top of the line product and I see no reason why a Nikon or Canon could not create a partnership with say, Adobe or another company to come up with something like that I wrote about. It could even be a multipartnership with companys like Fuji for the print service, Adobe for an online version of its software (BTW, powerful option for them to maintain protection of their software) and say a company like Smartware that manages the business end of things and or a Flickr for hosting an online store or something.

The camera could even use the services infrastructer I described to reccomend accessories and other options or services based on camera usage if a Photogrgapher Opted in.

The whole thing is really a reaction to another thread I saw that basically proposed the 35MM DSLR game is mostly over.

Hope you enjoyed it!
E

-- hide signature --

Mark

White Paper Helps Explain Crude Theory

You can read this interesting White paper which talks about increasing resolution using lower res images with higher resoltuion Monochrome images.

http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~irani/PAPERS/SR_CVGIP91.pdf

This might be appliedd in this sensor design with Pixel Reuse from the VICs and interpolating as described in the white paper with the mono output from the multipurpose pixels.

The Bayer Pattern used in this array allows each photosite to be used in three vics to create 3 real color Virtual Pixels. Essentailly frrom each array of 25 photosites you get 16 3 photosites and 5 5 color Vics for a total of 21 color VPs. Each array also creates 13 higher res Mono Real Pixels and another 16 Mono VPs.

Keep in mind we are creating a Virtual Image and so all the photosites on this array should be viewed as information resources which are being leverage into a final Virtual High Res Image.

Its a paradigmn shift where by we move from the limitations of real images to the enhanced world of Virtual Images built from information.

When we talk about VDR the end user will actually be able to dummy down VDR to a level of reallity if they so choose as well.

Resolution, Color, Noise and DR become Software Functions and are far less limited by the actaul sensor and photosites.

-- hide signature --

Mark

ovrebekk
ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,871
Sceptic

Not to be negative or anything, but I am always a bit sceptical when I hear about clever interpolation that can magically increase resolution without actually sampling any more detail.

On the other hand it is always exciting to hear about alternatives to Bayer sensors. I am pretty sure Bayer is just a step along the way to something even better.

If there are any samples out there to back up the resolution claims I am definitely interested

You are right to be skeptical

This is all hypothetical... up to some sensor company to decide whether its real.

Now, about sampling more detail, this design does actualy sample more detail, it just makes better use of the available pixels to pull it from using new innovative techniques to sqeeze more juice from the lemon.

Think of it this way, do the current sensors really make use of all the data that is truly available?

We can improve sampling by also making better use of the resources we have, as well as increasing the amount of resources we have.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads