5D2 + Eg-S focusing screen - positive feedback ;)

Started Feb 5, 2009 | Discussions
Maciej Freudenheim Contributing Member • Posts: 512
5D2 + Eg-S focusing screen - positive feedback ;)

Hi!

I'm pretty sure it's old news for many of you, but just wanted to say that changing focusing screen in 5D2 is brain-dead easy. Took me about 1 minute total and I wouldn't really consider myself as a precise person (my hands are a little bit shaky).

The screen itself really helps A LOT - I have a few fast primes (probably all L-primes below and including 200mm), and I very often shoot wide-open.

After changing the screen I tried to focus with 85L, 135L and 35L wide open on my gf's eyes and voila, all frames almost in perfect focus. I tried doing the same earlier with the standard screen and my hit ratio was rather random, one time I focused correctly, the other time I didn't.

So, the bottom line is: if you are shooting a lot wide-open, Eg-S screen really helps much and it's really easy to install it (I was afraid that it's way more complicated).

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

Maciej Freudenheim
http://pix.diabel.pl/

Maciej Freudenheim's gear list:Maciej Freudenheim's gear list
Nikon D810 Sony a7R II Leica SL (Typ 601) Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S +20 more
Richard Regular Member • Posts: 448
interesting because..

of this statement:

The Canon Eg-S Super Precision Matte Focusing Screen is an interchangeable focusing screen compatible with the Canon EOS 5D-Mark II camera. The Super Precision Matte screen improves the ease of focusing when doing manual focus, but is not recommended for use with lenses slower then f/2.8. With these slower lenses, the viewfinder will actually look darker then with the standard Eg-A screen.

-- hide signature --

-- richard

bionet Senior Member • Posts: 1,072
combine with a magnifier

Yes, the Eg-S seems to scatter even more light than old manual focus SLRs'.

They have a much larger VF image though. To fix that, get an Olympus AS-ME1 or a Nikon Dk-17m/Dk-21m. Vignettes a bit but the image has then about 90% of the proper magnification one used to get.

@Richard: what's your point?

OP Maciej Freudenheim Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: interesting because..

Richard wrote:

of this statement:

The Canon Eg-S Super Precision Matte Focusing Screen is an
interchangeable focusing screen compatible with the Canon EOS 5D-Mark
II camera. The Super Precision Matte screen improves the ease of
focusing when doing manual focus, but is not recommended for use with
lenses slower then f/2.8. With these slower lenses, the viewfinder
will actually look darker then with the standard Eg-A screen.

But what's so interesting in this?

Sure I knew about it, but it doesn't affect me much - 80% of the time I have f/1.4 or f/1.2 lens mounted on my camera, 19% some f/2.8 zoom like 16-35LII and occasionally slower zooms. I didn't try shooting outdoors with my slower zooms like 100-400L yet (it's already getting dark outside) but I remember reading someone's opinion here that indeed the VF is darker with those lenses, but still pretty much usable.

My post was mostly about primes and shooting wide open anyway, and primes tend to be several times faster than f/2.8 after all..

-- hide signature --

Maciej Freudenheim

Nikon D810 Sony a7R II Leica SL (Typ 601) Olympus E-M1 II Fujifilm GFX 50S +20 more
Hm, about DK-17M

bionet wrote:

Yes, the Eg-S seems to scatter even more light than old manual focus
SLRs'.
They have a much larger VF image though. To fix that, get an Olympus
AS-ME1 or a Nikon Dk-17m/Dk-21m. Vignettes a bit but the image has
then about 90% of the proper magnification one used to get.

Interesting - actually I own dk-17m, it's mounted as I'm writing this on my D700 which I also own. Never thought it's possible to install it on 5D2. Is it?

-- hide signature --

Maciej Freudenheim

Teosax Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Hm, about DK-17M

please Maciej

can you write feedback about the focus screen and the 100/400 after you had chance to try it?
i have 100/400 and will receive my 5d2 soon
and would like to know if with that lens is too dark or not
thanks so much!
matteo

Heli Soto New Member • Posts: 21
Re: 5D2 + Eg-S focusing screen - positive feedback ;)

Thank you. I just ordered one from B&H. They now have them is stock.

bionet Senior Member • Posts: 1,072
Re: Hm, about DK-17M

Maciej Freudenheim wrote:

Interesting - actually I own dk-17m, it's mounted as I'm writing this
on my D700 which I also own. Never thought it's possible to install
it on 5D2. Is it?

I keep forgetting which is which..the one with the rectangular eyepiece fits the 5D(2) almost perfectly.
Olympus AS-ME1 also fits but is a bit loose.

hello maciej
did you tried with the 100/400?
is it too dark?
please let me know
thanks

Hi!

I didn't try 100-400L, but I tried 24-105 f/4L and for indoor uses or outdoors at evening I believe VF is too dark. It's still usable but the VF is really much darker than with standard focusing screen, so if you shoot a lot with 100-400L I don't recommend Eg-S screen. It doesn't give you any advantage in such case but darkens your VF noticeably.

This said, if you shoot more with fast primes than you do with f/4+ zooms, or you mainly shoot in studio, then it's really helpful.

Also, you can change the screens really fast, a little bit longer than it takes to change the lens; so if you partially shoot with primes (or in studio) and the other times you use 100-400L, you can just change the focusing screen if you find it too dark.

Teosax wrote:

hello maciej
did you tried with the 100/400?
is it too dark?
please let me know
thanks

-- hide signature --

Maciej Freudenheim

zonoskar Regular Member • Posts: 488

Maciej Freudenheim wrote:

Hi!

I didn't try 100-400L, but I tried 24-105 f/4L and for indoor uses or
outdoors at evening I believe VF is too dark. It's still usable but
the VF is really much darker than with standard focusing screen, so
if you shoot a lot with 100-400L I don't recommend Eg-S screen. It
doesn't give you any advantage in such case but darkens your VF
noticeably.

Can you guestimate how many stops are lost using the Eg-S screen compared to the standard screen? Eg. by using DoF preview button on the standard screen and compare the VF to the Eg-S wide open? That would be very helpfull, as we could see it for ourselves if the VF is too dark for us.

Dennis.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zonoskar/

zonoskar's gear list:zonoskar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM

thanks so much!
very helpful
matteo

ScottyNV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,889
a guesstimate...

based on the Ee-s screen for the 5D1, the Eg-s for the 5D2 should be between one and one-and-a-half stops darker than the stock screen (I have the Ee-s in my older 5D, and I find it quite useable, even with slower zooms).

yes, the high-precision screens are darker than the stock ones, but do offer a more precise 'snap' in focus compared to the standard screens.

cheers,
S.
--
beam me up captain, there's no intelligent life down here!

yazir_nauhm New Member • Posts: 1
AF - MF
-- hide signature --

Hi,

Sorry, have you all been talking about benefits when focusing only in manual mode?

Does the screen have any impact in AF?

Thanks.

ron purdy Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
Re: AF - MF

If you regularly use f4 or so lenses, I would not recommend it, as the screen indeed makes it dark you are working inside.

But otherwise, these screens are great, and make manually focusing a while lot easier. It should really be the standard screen for pro cameras, IMO.

-- hide signature --

lighting workshops: http://www.afashionshooter.com/2009/01/26/lighting-
workshops/
ron purdy dot com
blog: afashionshooter dot com

djharmonix Regular Member • Posts: 240

I understand it makes the view darker with lenses less bright than 2.8 but when using the 85L does it make a difference?

I use the 85L 75% of the time and 24-70 the rest of the time. I own only lenses 2.8 or brighter but I use them alot in dark conditions, will it make a difference?

thanks!

Tero K Regular Member • Posts: 188

Impossible to answer this one. I can say my MF accuracy improved from 5 % to close to 100 %. With AF also I can actually see where I am focusing. But in the dark room it makes AF very tough for flash photography. For ambient light photography though I think the brightness is completely adequate. If you cannot see the subject through VF, the picture wouldn't probably be too great even properly focused

djharmonix wrote:

I understand it makes the view darker with lenses less bright than 2.8 but when using the 85L does it make a difference?

I use the 85L 75% of the time and 24-70 the rest of the time. I own only lenses 2.8 or brighter but I use them alot in dark conditions, will it make a difference?

thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads