Canon Power Shot SD880is Screen Protector Choices

Started Feb 4, 2009 | Discussions
Werbs Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Canon Power Shot SD880is Screen Protector Choices

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on screen protectors. I just bought the 880is Canon and I am very happy with it's results. It is a Keeper so I would like to protect the LCD Screen. I usually use the DA Protector, but it doesn't look like it will fit on this body. I know the forum is full of very savvy camera buffs. Can any one let me know what they have used for theirs if they have decided to use the protector's.

Thanks, Werbs

Ranlee Senior Member • Posts: 2,144
Re: Canon Power Shot SD880is Screen Protector Choices

I went with the Giotto SP8300 from B&H. It's actual coated glass - very thin but really protects well. I have one on my G7 and love it. There are drawbacks however, it is pricey, I think around $25.00 and in order to fit my SD880 I ended up taking a Dremel tool and carefully grinding a few of the raised triangle grip things to the upper right of the lcd so the glass would fit flat and seal correctly. Once on though its almost impervious to scratches and wipes clean easily.

An added note, I was surprised, when I started the grinding operation, to find my black back is painted metal. I had thought it was plastic. I suppose this grinding operation sounds extreme but I don't like scratched lcd's.

Randy

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
Peveli Regular Member • Posts: 123

For my SD880 I got the ClearTouch Crystal film protector from BoxWave Corporation. Google them or search on Amazon. It seems fine. (I avoided the anti-glare product; one online review said it wasn't all that useful). I did not want the added depth of the glass protector; nor did I want to grind away at my new camera.

I do have a glass protector for my A720; probably like the one mentioned above. It is also a very good product. With that camera, I did not mind the extra thickness.

OP Werbs Contributing Member • Posts: 513

Thanks for the suggestions. I use the DA Protector on my LCD'S but it is sort of thick. I will check both suggestions.

Much appreciated, werbs

bricar01 Regular Member • Posts: 331

I'm going to second the vote for Boxwave products. I have them on several products, not just my camera.

I did use the non-glare version, and I'm fine with it. Here's what the camera looks like with it installed.

-- hide signature --
OP Werbs Contributing Member • Posts: 513

Thanks for the pictures. Does it mount with sticky tape around the edges, or is it one of the sticky back protectors?

werbs

bricar01 Regular Member • Posts: 331

It is self adhesive. You can remove it, wash the dust off, and re-apply it to the same device or a different one. It is strange, sort of like Post-Its or Silly Putty. it absolutely will not come off by itself, I've had one on my old camera for 2 years. But if you pick at a corner, it will lift right off, and it's re-usable.
--
Brian

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bricar01/

Mr Thompson Regular Member • Posts: 218

Get the Giotto Randy recommended. The clarity provided by the multi-coatings will help you to figure out what is going on when it counts, when you are shooting.

Mr Thompson's gear list:Mr Thompson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV +28 more
powerdog Regular Member • Posts: 227

Boxwave screen protectors are on sale now. I think they're about half price. I've used them for years. Good stuff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads