A few M8.2 colour pictures

Started Feb 4, 2009 | Discussions
mitchall Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
A few M8.2 colour pictures

Here are three pictures with of which the first and third have very little post-processing.

BTW, I have been using Aperture 2 with Silver Efex for B&W and Viveza for colour. Someone on the LUF recommended Capture One very highly, saying it did a much better job with M8 files than other RAW developers. I've tried it don't really see anything better than what I can get with Adobe ACR or with Aperture — am I missing something?

(Actually, the only deficiency that I see with Aperture is that is steals some pixels, rendering a frame that is 3904 x 2662m instead of 3916 x 2664.)

Leica M8.2 | ISO 160 | Zeiss 18mm Distagon

Leica M8.2 | ISO 320 | Zeiss 18mm Distagon

Leica M8.2 | ISO 160 | Zeiss 18mm Distagon

—Mitch/Turks & Caicos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malland/sets/72157613189560804/

Jono Slack
Jono Slack Forum Pro • Posts: 20,618
Lovely Mitch

I use Aperture as well.

I have C1, I've read the articles and done the checking, but I don't think it does as good a job with the M8 files - especially if you are using IR filters.

Lots of professionals seem to use C1, and I think it works well if you are doing discreet 'shoots' for clients, and you don't need to pull together types of shots from different shoots. If you aren't professional then it's a real pain having to actually process the files and then organise a whole other unnecessary filing system.

I've also been using Viveza and Silver efex - sometimes both if I want really dramatic skies - it's good in that it only creates one tiff file.

all the best

-- hide signature --
 Jono Slack's gear list:Jono Slack's gear list
Leica M10 Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm F3.5-4.5 ASPH Apple iPhone X
sunhorse Senior Member • Posts: 1,750
Re: A few M8.2 colour pictures

Mitch, do try Capture - it does deliver maximum sharpness on M8 DNG files - at least to my eyes!

sunhorse's gear list:sunhorse's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Fons Rademakers Regular Member • Posts: 118

I am an long time Aperture user, with Nikon nef's, and did try C1 when I got my M8, however, in comparison the Aperture processed M8 DNG's looked better, if not equally good as C1, so there was no question what to use as C1 does not do any DAM.

Cheers, Fons.

Fons Rademakers's gear list:Fons Rademakers's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D810 +1 more
PeterIH Regular Member • Posts: 263

Mitch, I especially like the last picture. Wonderfull atmosphere. Thanks for sharing.

I presume it will be me, but I tried C1 after getting my M8 and quickly returned to the for me trusted ACR 3.7. I have no comparison but prints in 30x45cm from ACR 3.7 and PS CS2 look very sharp indeed. I didn't get C1 working like I would. Perhaps I'll give it sometimes another try but for now I stick with ACR.

Cheers,
Peter.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterih

PeterIH's gear list:PeterIH's gear list
Leica M9 Leica Elmarit-M 21mm f/2.8 ASPH +1 more
OP mitchall Senior Member • Posts: 1,789
Re: Lovely Mitch

Jono Slack wrote:

I've also been using Viveza and Silver efex - sometimes both if I
want really dramatic skies - it's good in that it only creates one
tiff file.

It seems to me that there is an advantage in using Silver Efex and Viveza with Photoshop rather Aperture because, with PS, they can be Smart Objects, which means that, unlike with Aperture as a host, you can go back and change parameters and adjustments. However, when I tried Silver Efex with Photoshop I found my results were not as good as with Aperture, although I've no ideas why that was so. Have you tried Silver Efex with Aperture?

—Mitch/Turks & Caicos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malland/sets/72157613189560804/

Jono Slack
Jono Slack Forum Pro • Posts: 20,618
Re: Lovely Mitch

Hi Mitch

mitchall wrote:

Jono Slack wrote:

I've also been using Viveza and Silver efex - sometimes both if I
want really dramatic skies - it's good in that it only creates one
tiff file.

It seems to me that there is an advantage in using Silver Efex and
Viveza with Photoshop rather Aperture because, with PS, they can be
Smart Objects, which means that, unlike with Aperture as a host, you
can go back and change parameters and adjustments. However, when I
tried Silver Efex with Photoshop I found my results were not as good
as with Aperture, although I've no ideas why that was so. Have you
tried Silver Efex with Aperture?

Yes - I only use it with Aperture - I suppose I could shell out to Photoshop and then load Viveza / Silver efex. But if I'm using Aperture as my main processing software it doesn't help me much that you can go back and change parameters in photoshop!

Basically I've made a decision that if Aperture don't support it . . then I don't either!

all the best

-- hide signature --
 Jono Slack's gear list:Jono Slack's gear list
Leica M10 Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm F3.5-4.5 ASPH Apple iPhone X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads