New lenses at the PMA ?

Started Jan 28, 2009 | Discussions
DJ BeBoy Regular Member • Posts: 104
New lenses at the PMA ?

Since I'm still looking at options to upgrade my current gear with either a new cam and/or new lenses would it be wise to wait until after the PMA ?

I probably will be updating my lenses since there is no new Canon DSLR within my budget that's worth upgrading. I now own a 30D which still serves me well. The 5DMKII looks really good but I wan't better AF performance. The Nikon D700 is basically everything i'm looking for but that will cost me a lot more money since i have to sell all my Canon stuff. (And I'm a very happy Canon user !). So i think i will keep my 30D until Canon comes up with a 705D (Canon 5D MK1 with Nikon D700 features)...

As far as lenses the 24-70L is high on my wishlist. But i'm afraid that if i buy one now that there will be a 24-70L IS anounced at the PMA. The same thing happened when i bought the 70-200L F4 !!!

So what do you think ? Will there be new lenses anounced at the PMA ?

DJ BeBoy's gear list:DJ BeBoy's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-T2 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
marsbar Contributing Member • Posts: 884
Re: New lenses at the PMA ?

DJ BeBoy wrote:

Since I'm still looking at options to upgrade my current gear with
either a new cam and/or new lenses would it be wise to wait until
after the PMA ?

Yes

I probably will be updating my lenses since there is no new Canon
DSLR within my budget that's worth upgrading. I now own a 30D which
still serves me well. The 5DMKII looks really good but I want better
AF performance. The Nikon D700 is basically everything I'm looking
for but that will cost me a lot more money since i have to sell all
my Canon stuff. (And I'm a very happy Canon user !). So i think i
will keep my 30D until Canon comes up with a 705D (Canon 5D MK1 with
Nikon D700 features)...

705D Ha! Almost thought that was a typo. Truth be told, my friends brother sold all his gear to get Nikon d3x. Everything. 1DS III, several high quality L lenses(85mm L!!!), flashes, Everything! He said his inside source in Canon said there was nothing new in the works for new a body, so he had enough and crossed over. Apparently he was very dissatisfied with 5D Mk II AF performance.

As far as lenses the 24-70L is high on my wish list. But i'm afraid
that if i buy one now that there will be a 24-70L IS announced at the
PMA. The same thing happened when i bought the 70-200L F4 !!!

Hence why you should wait.

So what do you think ? Will there be new lenses announced at the PMA ?

Yup, was last year, and year before, and year before that... you get the message...

BTW, you had a few misspellings in your post.. you should get Firefox.

-- hide signature --

marsbar's gear list:marsbar's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +11 more
genotypewriter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,846

DJ BeBoy wrote:

The 5DMKII looks really good but I wan't better
AF performance.

Has the 5D2 failed you with its AF performance when you actually tried to use it or are you just saying this based on people's early-speculations that have now been proven wrong? At any rate it'll wipe the floor with your 30D's AF, so it's definitely an upgrade for you if you ask me.

Hope so!

GTW
--
http://www.flickr.com/genotypewriter

genotypewriter wrote:

DJ BeBoy wrote:

The 5DMKII looks really good but I want better
AF performance.

Has the 5D2 failed you with its AF performance when you actually
tried to use it or are you just saying this based on people's
early-speculations that have now been proved wrong? At any rate it'll
wipe the floor with your 30D's AF, so it's definitely an upgrade for
you if you ask me.

GTW, I don't think he was making a negative comment on the 5D Mk II AF performance. I think he was thinking more along the lines of have hoping to have AF similar to the 1D series cameras.

Or has there been much negative comment about this cameras AF performance, that I am not aware of?

I do understand your attitude, too many people make statements based on zero personal experience. I just don't think this was that sort of instance.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +11 more
Clint Dunn Senior Member • Posts: 1,575

DJ BeBoy wrote:

As far as lenses the 24-70L is high on my wishlist. But i'm afraid
that if i buy one now that there will be a 24-70L IS anounced at the
PMA. The same thing happened when i bought the 70-200L F4 !!!

-- hide signature --

I've been burned this way too. I bought the 16-35mm 2.8L just 2 months before Canon announced the ver2 of the same lens. If I would have waited 2 months I would have saved a few bucks but more importantly gotten a better quality lens. The first version 16-35 2.8L has TERRIBLE flare issues to the point I want to sell the damn thing.

Clint Dunn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60455482@N00/

Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 +2 more
smilano Regular Member • Posts: 109
EF 50 f/1.4 AND 35 f/2

BOTH THE EF 50 1.4 AND 35 F/2 SEEM TO BE OUT-OF-STOCK OR BACK-ORDERED AT MANY ONE-LINE STORES. MAYBE THESE TWO LENSES WILL BE WILL SEE A MAKEOVER?

SHAWN-

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

marsbar wrote:

genotypewriter wrote:

DJ BeBoy wrote:

The 5DMKII looks really good but I want better
AF performance.

Has the 5D2 failed you with its AF performance when you actually
tried to use it or are you just saying this based on people's
early-speculations that have now been proved wrong? At any rate it'll
wipe the floor with your 30D's AF, so it's definitely an upgrade for
you if you ask me.

GTW, I don't think he was making a negative comment on the 5D Mk II
AF performance. I think he was thinking more along the lines of have
hoping to have AF similar to the 1D series cameras.

Or has there been much negative comment about this cameras AF
performance, that I am not aware of?

I do understand your attitude, too many people make statements based
on zero personal experience. I just don't think this was that sort of
instance.

not all that many people seemed to have ever used the 5d for sports so it was hard to judge by the few comments and since half of them said it was as good as a 20D, at best, for ai servo, many people, myself included had been up in arms when canon said it would be the same as the 5D.

Now while I still don't see why they couldn't jsut stick a 1dmkiin AF module and be done with it or why, unlike Nikon, they are so afraid of daring to put the best AF in anything but a $5000 brick, the AI servo (tentatively, since 1/2 of a soccer game under one lighting conditions does not by any means tell all) seems better than I had feared (appeared to be better than 20D and 40D/50D for soccer) on the 5dmkii. Whether this is because the 5D was better than some said (and i never did run into anyone i knew enough about their sports shooting skills to know what to make of their comments) or because the new tweaks to the focusing algorithm and perhaps new and faster main CPU mean the 5dmkii doesn't really have the same AF as the old 5D (which more and more people seem to be leaning towards, although hard to be sure sincd again it seems so few original 5d owners ever did much sports or action), I don't know. Tentatively it appears to be much better than I have feared if not quite everything I had ideally hoped for, but I suppose that is liveable and not entirely unreasonable for a 5 series.

IMO, they do badly need to get a small bodied 1 series, like a D700 out there, i mean the D800 has got to be coming eventually and hard to see how it won't make the current canon scheme of things irrelevant unless canon changes its ways. I mean imagine a D700 with the cropping ability of a 5dmkii and video, that would be quite a camera!

but yeah so far the 5dmkii af seems much better than i had feared, although i have really put it through all that much tough stuff yet, but so far, not bad really.

i'm now more concerned with their not having dual-digiced it and being stuck with 4fps and a very long mirror blackout and long shutter lag than about the AF (kind of a shame since they could've fixed all that for probably onyl $400 more, at most, to the camera body cost and if you are going to spend $2700 you might as well just spend $3050 and get all that you really wanted) but while annoying and imo foolish hey i still love the 5dmkii and lots, if by no means all, action stuff is one-timed anyway.

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: EF 50 f/1.4 AND 35 f/2

smilano wrote:

BOTH THE EF 50 1.4 AND 35 F/2 SEEM TO BE OUT-OF-STOCK OR BACK-ORDERED
AT MANY ONE-LINE STORES. MAYBE THESE TWO LENSES WILL BE WILL SEE A
MAKEOVER?

SHAWN-

but it would make sense to update those two, especially the 50mm 1.4 with better focusing so do you really expect it

i do wonder if i should quickly sell my 50 1.4, if they update it to ring AF, even ust doing that, and i think the old 50mm 1.4 resale drops like a stone

on the one hand i went through like 4 copies to get one that focuses at least occasionally and if the rumor turns out to not pan out (and so far lens rumors have rarely panned out, body rumors have a much better record, aside from a few things like the 18-200 where it was made clear it was coming) that would be a real pain and a loss of some money

snapperZ
snapperZ Contributing Member • Posts: 872

I'm not sure how much updated lenses are hitting resale values at present as Canon seems to have a policy of adding a big price premium when updating lenses. This is worth bearing in mind when considering the 24-70L as any 24-70 L IS will likely cost twice as much as the 24-70L (at least if the 70-200f4L IS is anything to go by).

Anyone ready to buy may lose more by waiting for forthcoming Canon price rises (due to the strong Yen) than they stand to lose in higher depreciation resulting from possible lens updates.

snapperZ's gear list:snapperZ's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +28 more
OP DJ BeBoy Regular Member • Posts: 104

If it's true that the the AF of the 5DMKII is much better than the 30D than it's good enough for me. I never had real problems with the AF of my 30D but i just won't something faster. The long blackout, shutter lag and framerate is keeping me (for now) away from the 5DMKII. Having said that, i haven't had the chance to try the 5DMKII in real life so i'll wait for that until i make my real decision.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Fujifilm X-T2 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
kyjy Contributing Member • Posts: 967

smilano wrote:

BOTH THE EF 50 1.4 AND 35 F/2 SEEM TO BE OUT-OF-STOCK OR
BACK-ORDERED

Tell you what, if you find my stolen 40D+24-105L+35-f/2 in a shop somewhere, and do the right thing and let me know, I'll give my my 35mm f/2 It's a good copy too, I just want something wider.

Matt Shelton Regular Member • Posts: 406

I'm in the same conundrum as the OP. I've been planning for awhile on upgrading from a 40D to a 5DII when I get my annual bonus, which will be on February 15th. At the same time, I was planning on selling my 40D, along with my EF-S 10-22, and getting the 17-40 and the 135/2 (which I'm positvely salivating over). However, I then started to think that I should wait to see what's announced at PMA before pulling the trigger on anything. But now, with all the talk of the imminent price increases, I'm wondering if I should at least pull the trigger on the lenses in the next couple of days, before Feb. 1. So, I'd appreciate it if anyone can answer the following:

a) Historically, has Canon announced its new lenses a few weeks prior to PMA or actaully at PMA?

b) I live in the U.S. Most of the talk about price increases seems to be from folks in Europe or Australia. What are the thoughts about how much, if any, prices will increase in the U.S.?

c) I suspect that the 135/2.0 isn't in any danger of being upgraded in the next few months (with IS, for instance). But what about the 17-40? The specualtion seems to be high that it will be upgraded soon.

Matt Shelton's gear list:Matt Shelton's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
rlshep Senior Member • Posts: 2,112
Sio what didn't he like about the 1DSiii

Just wondering - because you said he wan't happy with the 5Dii - but it was the 1DSiii you said he sold - and I'm intrigued because other than the low res LCD, I can't imagine anything else really lacking? I think it's an unbelievably great camera, a joy to use and the image quality is superb.
Sure the Nikon is too but I'm just surprised he wasn't happy with what he had.
--
Lizzie
----------------------------------
http://www.lizzieshepherd.com

Joe Photo Lover Veteran Member • Posts: 3,040

Matt Shelton wrote:

b) I live in the U.S. Most of the talk about price increases seems
to be from folks in Europe or Australia. What are the thoughts about
how much, if any, prices will increase in the U.S.?

A lot of posts about price increases in Canada too. Canon North America oversees Canada and the USA but their price structure is different for the two countries.

jitteringjr Veteran Member • Posts: 3,608

smilano wrote:

BOTH THE EF 50 1.4 AND 35 F/2 SEEM TO BE OUT-OF-STOCK OR BACK-ORDERED
AT MANY ONE-LINE STORES. MAYBE THESE TWO LENSES WILL BE WILL SEE A
MAKEOVER?

SHAWN-

I'm betting on the 35L will be first. Canon has updated the 24L in 2008, 50L in 2007, and 85L in 2006. The 35L is from 1998.

Although they may respond to Nikon's 50/1.4 g. I prefer they do this, but I'm not holding my breath.

jitteringjr's gear list:jitteringjr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +7 more
OP DJ BeBoy Regular Member • Posts: 104

The price of the 24-70L has decreased instead of increased here in The Netherlands... Could this mean there's a new kid on the block ? Also the EF-S 17-55 and a lot of other Canon lenses are out of stock in a lot of shops.

genotypewriter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,846

DJ BeBoy wrote:

Having said that, i haven't had the chance to try the 5DMKII
in real life so i'll wait for that until i make my real decision.

I have the 40D and I've been very happy with its AF performance until I tried the 5D2 which is noticeably very much better. I use fast glass and I always shoot wide open so the DOFs aren't forgiving but still the keeper rate is just amazing. I can't honestly say the same about the 40D with the same lenses.

You should really try it.

GTW
--
http://www.flickr.com/genotypewriter

Re: Sio what didn't he like about the 1DSiii

rlshep wrote:

Just wondering - because you said he wan't happy with the 5Dii - but
it was the 1DSiii you said he sold - and I'm intrigued because other
than the low res LCD, I can't imagine anything else really lacking? I
think it's an unbelievably great camera, a joy to use and the image
quality is superb.
Sure the Nikon is too but I'm just surprised he wasn't happy with
what he had.

I think there was maybe more to it.

I only had the one conversation with my friend about his bothers decision. But it sounded like he was just unhappy with the 5D Mk II, and liked what the D3x had, and his source had said nothing about canon coming up with a D700 "like" camera, so he crossed over to Nikon, and sold all his canon gear. I don't think he was unhappy with his 1Ds or his other bodies, I think it was disappointment in canons response to Nikons latest cameras, or rather lack of response.

-- hide signature --

Lizzie
----------------------------------
http://www.lizzieshepherd.com

-- hide signature --

Hay,

I take it there has been no progress in you bag being stolen, eh?

-- hide signature --

Matt Shelton wrote:

a) Historically, has Canon announced its new lenses a few weeks
prior to PMA or actaully at PMA?

Expect something in the last half of February.

b) I live in the U.S. Most of the talk about price increases seems
to be from folks in Europe or Australia. What are the thoughts about
how much, if any, prices will increase in the U.S.?

Prices have gone up, I think the 100-400 is up at least $200 on B&H from about 6 months ago.

c) I suspect that the 135/2.0 isn't in any danger of being upgraded
in the next few months (with IS, for instance). But what about the
17-40? The specualtion seems to be high that it will be upgraded soon.

Yeah don't expect the 135 to be upgraded. There have been words on 17-40. But my gut is 35mm and maybe 50mm.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads