US Airways Flight 1549 - A different perspective

Started Jan 28, 2009 | Discussions
Adam Barkow Senior Member • Posts: 1,113
US Airways Flight 1549 - A different perspective

Just got these photos tonight from my brother. One of his co-workers husband was on US Airways flight 1549 that landed in the Hudson River. He took these photos with his cell phone. Quite a different perspective....

-- hide signature --

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Adam Barkow's gear list:Adam Barkow's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
kungfusion Senior Member • Posts: 1,170
Re: US Airways Flight 1549 - A different perspective

Needs some PP.... More contrast for one thing. And how can he be satisfied with the sharpness of that lens?

Just kidding!

Very interesting, thanks for posting!
--
http://flickr.com/photos/rcaron/

Bruce kendall Senior Member • Posts: 1,082

I think those are very valuable shots.Those people can be very grateful that they were all safe.The power of photography capturing history in the making.

Best Wishes
Bruce
Johannesburg
SA
D300
300 f4
17-55 f2.8
18-200VR
SB800

gsmornot Contributing Member • Posts: 944

Makes you remember the seat can be used as a flotation device. I've heard it over and over and stopped paying attention. Now I know it really could save a life one day. I still won't listen I bet but I will keep it in mind. Pilot did an awesome job keeping his head together.

Thanks for sharing.
--
Nikon-
http://pdbruce.zenfolio.com

Qwntm Veteran Member • Posts: 6,165

gsmornot wrote:

Pilot did an awesome job keeping his head together.

Not taking anything away from a BRILLIANT bit of flying, but as he said himself, he was just doing his job.

95% of all the commercial pilots I've had the opportunity to fly with would have done the same thing, maybe not as well, but it would have been their best effort.

You don't get to the front of an airliner without having been "tested" one way or another on the way there... and that's why they're there.

Well done, all the same!

-- hide signature --
 Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M5 II Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +8 more
OP Adam Barkow Senior Member • Posts: 1,113

Qwntm wrote:

95% of all the commercial pilots I've had the opportunity to fly with
would have done the same thing, maybe not as well, but it would have
been their best effort.

Makes me wonder what the other 5% would have done?

Perhaps attempt a landing on the Hudson Parkway or Broadway

Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
strikerx98 Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

I'm sure the news media would love to have these! Seeing the ice handing from that boat gives me a clearer picture (no pun intended) of how cold the water really was.

Thanks for sharing!
Connie
--
http://www.ticopuppy.com
memberID=214435

trend1 Contributing Member • Posts: 979

Amazing that no one died...interesting shots!

Qwntm Veteran Member • Posts: 6,165

Adam Barkow wrote:

Qwntm wrote:

95% of all the commercial pilots I've had the opportunity to fly with
would have done the same thing, maybe not as well, but it would have
been their best effort.

Makes me wonder what the other 5% would have done?

Perhaps attempt a landing on the Hudson Parkway or Broadway

The other 5% kinda scared me just walking out to the plane...

-- hide signature --
 Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M5 II Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +8 more
azguy
azguy Veteran Member • Posts: 7,599
When you can't have your DSLR with you...

I you had carried your camera bag on the plane, it would be back in the bin or under the seat. But a cell phone camera might be in your shirt pocket. Shows the value of those little cell cameras.

As mentioned above, the ice on the rescue boat shows just how cold it was. The photos posted in the news showed the people on the other side of the plane and they seemed to have no trouble walking out on the wing. These photos show that those on the right side were deep in that freezing water while walking out on the wing. It apparently dipped lower in the water because the engine was still attached to the wing on this side.

The news accounts said that the first officer started going through the checklist to try and restart the engines. It was reported that they had the APU (auxiliary power unit) running when they hit the water, and that they had also deployed the RAT (ram air turbine). These steps meant that they had electrical power to the computers (this is a fly-by-wire plane, with a joystick, rather than a steering column) and hydraulics to move the wing sufaces, giving the pilot control.

Yes, the pilot did say that he was just doing his job, but there is no history of successful landings on water like this. Try telling the people on the plane that he was not a hero, and that he didn't do an extraordinary job. There was very little time to make the right decision, and he did.
Very valuable images!
--
JohnE

DezM
DezM Forum Pro • Posts: 34,531

Definitely a different perspective. Thanks for sharing these.
--
Dez

http://photos.dezmix.com

DezM's gear list:DezM's gear list
Nikon D850
Bill Randall
Bill Randall Forum Pro • Posts: 21,969

The first thing I noticed about these pictures is a disaster waiting to happen. Why is it so few people have their life preservers on?

-- hide signature --

FINE PRINT: I reserve the right to be wrong. Should you prove me wrong, I reserve the right to change my mind.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D5200 Nikon D200 Nikon D5600
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338

Bill Randall wrote:

The first thing I noticed about these pictures is a disaster waiting
to happen. Why is it so few people have their life preservers on?

Wow, you're right. That's quite shocking! And something the NTSB should look into. The water was pretty close to freezing and even the strongest swimmer would be far safer with a life vest.

parisphotog Senior Member • Posts: 2,074
Re: US Airways Flight 1549 - Valuable shots

Bruce kendall wrote:

I think those are very valuable shots.

You're right, they are very valuable shots. I'm surprised no wire service bought them.

Best Wishes
Bruce
Johannesburg

I believe the disaster already occurred.

Bill Randall wrote:

The first thing I noticed about these pictures is a disaster waiting to happen...

Bill Randall

Adam Barkow wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

The first thing I noticed about these pictures is a disaster waiting to happen...

Suppose the plane went completely under water? Suppose someone fell off the wing into the very cold water? Suppose the plane exploded?

Having worked in the aerospace industry for 36 years I am fairly confident no one told the passengers to remove the life vests. The disaster was not over, and there was the real possibility for it to get worse.

-- hide signature --

FINE PRINT: I reserve the right to be wrong. Should you prove me wrong, I reserve the right to change my mind.

You bring up very valid and logical points, however I'm sure there are a few factors contributing to the lack of people wearing life preservers...

Shock: Most these people were probably not thinking too clearly at this time. Their plane just had a hard emergency landing in the frigid Hudson River

Leadership: We all heard and read about the pilot's skill, but there has been no discussion or news of anyone stepping up to the plate so to speak making sure that everyone got off safely and adhered to the standard pre-flight emergency guidelines.

False sense of security: 1) The wing felt safe and secure to them. 2) people were boarding the rescue ferrys very quickly. 3) Land was visible.

Perhaps if this scene was played out offshore without immediate emergency response, the life preserver question would be moot.

Bill Randall wrote:

Adam Barkow wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

Suppose the plane went completely under water? Suppose someone fell
off the wing into the very cold water? Suppose the plane exploded?

Having worked in the aerospace industry for 36 years I am fairly
confident no one told the passengers to remove the life vests. The
disaster was not over, and there was the real possibility for it to
get worse.

-- hide signature --

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Bill Randall

I can think of more reasons why they may have removed the life vests. They are uncomfortable, etc....

However, I know from all of my flights they never tell you to remove the vest. As another poster indicated, this should be investigated. If, and I doubt this, someone working for the airline told them to remove their life vests then this is a different situation.

The point is the passengers were wrong to remove their vests. If I was in the insurance business, and someone drowned, I would love these pictures. See Mr. or Mrs. X standing on the wing with their life vest floating away. Your honor, he/she obviously did not follow safety procedures or common sense. The airline pilots got the passengers down safely and all they had to do was keep their life vests on until they were aboard a ship or on land. However, they broke with safety procedures and removed their vests before the danger had passed. At this time the plane completely sank and they drowned. Their death is the result of their action and not of the airlines.

-- hide signature --

parisphotog Senior Member • Posts: 2,074

Bill Randall wrote:

I can think of more reasons why they may have removed the life vests.
They are uncomfortable, etc....

If you're talking about the orange vests in the water, those were thrown in by a ferry crew. The airline ones are yellow and flat until inflated.

[snip]

The point is the passengers were wrong to remove their vests. If I
was in the insurance business, and someone drowned, I would love
these pictures. See Mr. or Mrs. X standing on the wing with their
life vest floating away. Your honor, he/she obviously did not follow
safety procedures or common sense. The airline pilots got the
passengers down safely and all they had to do was keep their life
vests on until they were aboard a ship or on land. However, they
broke with safety procedures and removed their vests before the
danger had passed. At this time the plane completely sank and they
drowned. Their death is the result of their action and not of the
airlines.

Bill Randall

parisphotog wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

I can think of more reasons why they may have removed the life vests.
They are uncomfortable, etc....

If you're talking about the orange vests in the water, those were
thrown in by a ferry crew. The airline ones are yellow and flat until
inflated.

Thank you for correcting me. However, the question remains why is it few passengers have these yellow vests on. Something is wrong.

[snip]

The point is the passengers were wrong to remove their vests. If I
was in the insurance business, and someone drowned, I would love
these pictures. See Mr. or Mrs. X standing on the wing with their
life vest floating away. Your honor, he/she obviously did not follow
safety procedures or common sense. The airline pilots got the
passengers down safely and all they had to do was keep their life
vests on until they were aboard a ship or on land. However, they
broke with safety procedures and removed their vests before the
danger had passed. At this time the plane completely sank and they
drowned. Their death is the result of their action and not of the
airlines.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads