Z3100 printing in strips

Started Jan 27, 2009 | Discussions
Mike Stratil Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Z3100 printing in strips

I am trying to print on 17 x 22" paper. Yesterday I had no problem. Today, I get persistent stripping. This is NOT the kind of banding in which one sees slight imperfections that appear as bands. Instead, the image has been cut into discrete strips, with about 1/4" white strips separating the image strips, which are about 1" in height. These strips run horizontally. Thus, the effect is as if someone had taken the finished photo and cut it into 1" strips and then laid them out so that there are 1/4" blank strips between them.

I would appreciate any help you have on this problem. Some background:

(a) I have run the file through Genuine Fractals, boosting the resolution to 300dpi.

(b) The image was created by a Canon 5D2 21 mp camera.

(c) The problem occurred when trying to print from CS4 and Corel Photo Paint (current edition).

(d) I have tried varying the max resolution from 600 to 1200 dpi.

-- hide signature --

Mike S

colourgeek
colourgeek Veteran Member • Posts: 3,589
Re: Z3100 printing in strips

Sounds like a driver problem. Some users had problems with custom page set ups causing segregated output as you have. I think you might want to delete any custom pages, and print with a non driver rotated image directly from Photoshop.

I now print from PC with the 3200 from XP and I haven't had the slightest trouble even with lots of custom sizes. I usually print from Qimage though as I don't have CS on the PC.
--
Neil Snape photographer Paris printer reviews at http://www.neilsnape.com

colourgeek's gear list:colourgeek's gear list
Canon EOS 77D
OP Mike Stratil Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Neil,

I really appreciate your input. You may have the solution. But I'm not very familiar with the terminology you use, so could you add some more explanation where I have comments in all-caps below?

Sounds like a driver problem. Some users had problems with custom page set ups causing segregated output as you have. I think you might want to delete any custom pages, and print with a non driver rotated image directly from Photoshop.

I HAVE NOT BEEN USING CUSTOM PAGES. BUT I HAVE BEEN ROTATING MY OUTPUT WITHIN THE DRIVER BECAUSE THAT'S THE ONLY WAY I'VE FOUND TO PRINT IN LANDSCAPE MODE. SO WOULD YOU EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN BY "NON-DRIVER ROTATED IMAGE DIRECTLY FROM PHOTOSHOP." HOW WOULD I DO THAT, GIVEN THAT THE HP DRIVER COMES UP WHENEVER I TRY TO PRINT?

AS I THINK ABOUT THIS, I GUESS YOU ARE SUGGESTING THAT I ROTATE THE IMAGE IN CS BEFORE STARTING TO PRINT RATHER THAN IN THE DRIVER DURING THE PRINTING SET UP. IS THAT RIGHT?

I now print from PC with the 3200 from XP and I haven't had the slightest trouble even with lots of custom sizes. I usually print from Qimage though as I don't have CS on the PC.

DO YOU RECOMMEND QIMAGE? I READ OTHERS COMMENTING ON IT'S ADVANTAGES.

-- hide signature --

Mike S

colourgeek

Yes Mike , I do like Qimage to print from on PC, always have.

Also , yes I think it's best to print directly from whatever application but without changing the orientation. In Photoshop format the image in Portrait orientation before sending or printing.

There were some other tips too about image resolution , borderless printing etc , but if the image fits into the page without rotation none of the above apply. Image resolution should be either 150 or 300 ppi if possible. You may want to go to Printers and Fax , set your printer properties to print after spooling is completed ( or whatever the terminology is on PC for this). Sometimes if the file is still spooling and there are a lot of page outs you can also have segregated lines.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 77D
waveney2 Contributing Member • Posts: 640
Not on Macs anymore Neil?(nt)
-- hide signature --

Next-door to World of Adventure

colourgeek
Re: Not on Macs anymore Neil?(nt)

The editing computers yes. Just that Qimage prints better than Photoshop>
now that the MAcIntel double as PCs then it's as simple as rebooting in XP!
--

Canon EOS 77D
OP Mike Stratil Contributing Member • Posts: 967

Neil,

This is a great help. Thanks!

I have been printing in portrait after rotation in CS4, and that has resolved the problem.

I am still astonished at how lame the HP driver is at doing all of these things. And no error messages to help the user. Bah! But the printer itself is very nice.
--
Mike S

skip tesch Contributing Member • Posts: 696
Same Problem on DJ 130 & Qimage

Printing on nonstandard custom paper size from 24" roll. Wanted 16x20 print. Paper size was set for 24 wide by 17 long.

Solved when got the advice to
1) ALWAYS send to driver in Portrait mode
and

2) In the driver settings, Tic the box autorotate under "Advance Paper Settings - Roll Options"

Perhaps the Z series drivers have a similar setup.

-- hide signature --

Skip Teschendorf

John Nollendorfs Contributing Member • Posts: 821

If you want to print horizontally, I rotate image, click the landscape mode, and then set up the custom paper size, but it always flips the values if the paper size is wider than it is tall (which is the case when you want to minimize paper waste and print a skinny horizontal image)

Epson drivers worked much more intuitively! Yes, The HP driver sucks! and they (HP support) just ignores your pleas!
--
John Nollendorfs

colourgeek

John Nollendorfs wrote:

If you want to print horizontally, I rotate image, click the
landscape mode, and then set up the custom paper size, but it always
flips the values if the paper size is wider than it is tall (which is
the case when you want to minimize paper waste and print a skinny
horizontal image)

Epson drivers worked much more intuitively! Yes, The HP driver sucks!
and they (HP support) just ignores your pleas!
--
John Nollendorfs

Yes but there are still glitches in both preview and actual printing when using custom pages sizes. Recent driver changes have left some confusion as to what exactly is going to print, on anything outside of the standard page set ups.
--

Canon EOS 77D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads