450D/XSi for stop motion animation

Started Jan 22, 2009 | Discussions
Afzal Ballim Regular Member • Posts: 222
450D/XSi for stop motion animation

I was thinking about using the 450D for stop motion animation, and have a question, in case anyone can help.

With remote live view it is possible to use the camera to capture the images, and do "onion skinning" (the process of having multiple images displayed to help you with moving the models to be animated).

My worry, however, is that capturing directly in-camera is going to cause a lot of shutter activations. Minimally, a 15fps 10 minute animation would require 9,000 activations. If we assume the shutter life of the 450D is in the 50-100,000 mark, then you'll kill your camera really quickly this way.

So, are there ways of using it without activating the shutter? I was thinking about something that captures the signal sent for remote live view, but I've no idea what the resolution of that signal is. Anyone?

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 450D
Canon EOS 1D
17-35 F2.8 L USM
28-80 F2.8 L USM
70-200 F2.8 L USM
50 F1.8
18-55 F3.5-5.6 is
http://www.ballim.com

WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,620
Re: 450D/XSi for stop motion animation

You can do a screen capture of the preview image in the EOS Utility, but that's a low-resolution image compared to the image recorded by the sensor. The higher the screen resolution of your graphics card, the closer you could get to the sensor resolution. I expect it would be much easier to play around with screen resolution on a CRT than an LCD.

It sounds to me like a video camera with single-frame capture would be a much better proposition.

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
OP Afzal Ballim Regular Member • Posts: 222

WilbaW wrote:

You can do a screen capture of the preview image in the EOS Utility,
but that's a low-resolution image compared to the image recorded by
the sensor. The higher the screen resolution of your graphics card,
the closer you could get to the sensor resolution. I expect it would
be much easier to play around with screen resolution on a CRT than an
LCD.

It sounds to me like a video camera with single-frame capture would
be a much better proposition.

Yes, I have a Canon HF100 which is a HD consumer camera that captures to SDHC that I use. There are two ways of using this unit; one is to put it into video mode and use the photo button to take each frame (this doesn't trigger the unit's mechanical shutter, however it's photo mode uses a mechanical shutter so can't use that); the other is to frame grab from HDMI output using software like stop motion pro or animatordv.

However, I'd like to get the advantage of the DOF control and image quality of my dSLR gear.

Your reply opens a question though, what resolution is the remote live view output signal? Is it scaled by screen size or just interpolated from a standard size from the signal by the software?

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 450D
Canon EOS 1D
17-35 F2.8 L USM
28-80 F2.8 L USM
70-200 F2.8 L USM
50 F1.8
18-55 F3.5-5.6 is
http://www.ballim.com

WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,620

Afzal Ballim wrote:

Your reply opens a question though, what resolution is the remote
live view output signal? Is it scaled by screen size or just
interpolated from a standard size from the signal by the software?

Right! It could be the standard video signal (NTSC or PAL), rather than full resolution. I imagine it would be easy enough to check - at what zoom level does it get jaggy? - but I don't have mine here to try it.

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads