Oly E420II -What is it?

Started Jan 14, 2009 | Discussions
caver3d Contributing Member • Posts: 914
Oly E420II -What is it?

What is this camera? Does it or does it not have image stabilization? It's listed in Amazon.com. One listing shows it with IS, but also mistakenly has the E520 in the description section. The other listing talks about the ability to adjust ISO, etc., to improve image stabilization - a pseudo-IS system.

Is there anything different between this camera and the E420 or is it just a marketing ploy?
--
caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 +37 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 27,625
Re: Oly E420II -What is it?

caver3d wrote:

What is this camera? Does it or does it not have image
stabilization? It's listed in Amazon.com. One listing shows it with
IS, but also mistakenly has the E520 in the description section. The
other listing talks about the ability to adjust ISO, etc., to improve
image stabilization - a pseudo-IS system.

Is there anything different between this camera and the E420 or is it
just a marketing ploy?

It hasn't been announced yet. Whether an E-420 respin will be announced at PMA (first week in March), is unknown at this point, but it is about time for the E-420/E-520 annual respins. I would have hoped that it would have been called E-430 instead, but one never knows what goes on in the minds of marketing folk (speaking as a computer developer, for whom the marketing department is often at odds with development -- I'm sure they say the same thing about us).

I've been wondering whether Olympus can really support 5 different bodies (anticipated m43 camera, E-430, E-530, E-30, and E-3/follow-on). I tend to think that the m43 may take the place of the E-420, or possibly the E-530 will be removed which the 'leak' from Amazon may indicate, and the features of the E-520 would be moved into the E-430).

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-5 Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +13 more
Martin Muehlemann
Martin Muehlemann Senior Member • Posts: 1,458

Good question

They write that the e420II has Image Stabilizing. Would be a winner. If the 5xx-UZ have Dual-IS, why not an e420?

I'll going to ask Oly straight away.

Cheers
Martin

-- hide signature --

Olympus e520 | Zuiko 25/2.8 | Zuiko ED 12-60SWD | | Zuiko ED 50-200SWD | Zuiko ED 14-42 | Zuiko ED 40-150
http://www.muehlemann-pix.ch

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus TG-5 OM-1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 17mm F1.2 Pro +9 more
FFS Senior Member • Posts: 1,761

I am leaning towards a typo on the title instead of a placeholder for a future product.

If you scroll down to Product Details:

1. Item model number: EVOLT520

2. Date first available at Amazon.com: October 8, 2008

Product Description
The new Olympus E-520 ... etc

The page that I am talking about is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-EVOLT-E420II-Dual-14-42MM-40-150MM/dp/B001HTJLMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231957555&sr=8-1

Art_P
Art_P Forum Pro • Posts: 10,086
I think that

it's just the seller's designation for the two lens kit? Looks like a standard E-420

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-EVOLT-E420II-Dual-14-42MM-40-150MM/dp/tech-data/B0018ZF36C/ref=de_a_smtd

oops, meant to reply to the OP
--
Art P

Select images may be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8131242@N04/

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 47,347
Being discussed here...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=30598424

as a prediction. It may not exist.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d (Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Games Developer)
Andreas Feininger (1906-1999) 'Photographers — idiots, of which there are
so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great
photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. It’s
nothing but a matter of seeing, and thinking, and interest. That’s what
makes a good photograph.'

nyfalls Contributing Member • Posts: 804

There are a lot of people that cannot differentiate between AMAZON and a THIRD PARTY SELLING ON AMAZON.

I wouldn't trust anything WholeSaleAV says any Olympus model.

Larry Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 8,106

caver3d wrote:

What is this camera? Does it or does it not have image
stabilization? It's listed in Amazon.com. One listing shows it with
IS, but also mistakenly has the E520 in the description section. The
other listing talks about the ability to adjust ISO, etc., to improve
image stabilization - a pseudo-IS system.

Is there anything different between this camera and the E420 or is it
just a marketing ploy?
--
caver3d

Considering the Seller (WholesaleAV) isnt exactly a well known, highly rated vendor, I conder this add to be either a TYPO, or an experiment in miss-leading advertising.

There is no E-420II anywhere except this add, and I would promise there isnt one at Wholesale AV either.

If you buy it you will get (If you get anything) 1 E-420 Plus two lenses, and a manual that explains the "digital Stabilation" as the automatic raising of the ISO setting when needed.
--
Larry

Don't confuse fame with success. Paris Hilton is one; Helen Keller is the other

OP caver3d Contributing Member • Posts: 914

Yeah, you guys may be right. I was wondering if it was a marketing ploy, and it might just be that after all.

BTW, I have an E510 and decided to forego the 520 and opt for the 530 if and when available. it will be interesting to see how Oly handles the 5XX and 4XX series. I would think that if they do finally add the IS to the 4XX (which has kept me away from the 420) they will have a real winner. How this subsequently impacts the 5XX is hard to say.
--
caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Panasonic FZ1000 +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads