G1 Remote Cable Releases

Started Dec 20, 2008 | Discussions
boxcam78 Forum Member • Posts: 72
G1 Remote Cable Releases

Has anyone successfully used a remote cable release for another camera such as the ones used on a Canon or Pentax with the G1. The reason I ask is because I made one myself for my Pentax K10 from instructions posted on a forum that I visit frequently, and I would like to use it on the G1 but am reluctant to try it without some confirmation it would be OK and safe.

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,113
Re: G1 Remote Cable Releases

boxcam78 wrote:

Has anyone successfully used a remote cable release for another
camera such as the ones used on a Canon or Pentax with the G1. The
reason I ask is because I made one myself for my Pentax K10 from
instructions posted on a forum that I visit frequently, and I would
like to use it on the G1 but am reluctant to try it without some
confirmation it would be OK and safe.
--

Has the G1 actually got any form of input receptacle to take a remote release plugged in ?? If so - what kind ?? .. and just how would the release literally work - electronically I suppose ??

-- hide signature --

eric-UK

Tom Fox Regular Member • Posts: 131

The cable remote is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-RSL1-Remote-Shutter-Release/dp/B000GBVA34/ref=sr_1_1/186-3922114-0288820?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229782933&sr=1-1

The mini-plug jack for the remote sits above the USB/HDMI hatch on the left side of the body.

rschofield Regular Member • Posts: 351

boxcam78 wrote:

The cable release for the G1 is the same as that for the FZ20/30/50 and L1/10. You can buy one directly from Panasonic or get a cheaper, compatible one on eBay. And if you search this forum for 'DIY cable release', you will find all kinds of posts describing how to make one yourself (both wired and wireless).

I doubt that the Pentax or Canon cable is compatible and may very well damage the G1 so be very, very careful. I would not try it before comparing the instructions for it vs. the instructions from this forum.

By the way the DMW-RSL1 that Tom mentioned in a different post is the expensive version of the Panasonic cable. The DMW-RS1 (without the 'lock' button) will work just as well for a lot less money.

-- hide signature --
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,509

boxcam78 wrote:

The Pentax cable remote is not compatible with the Panasonic G1.

The Panasonic L1, L10, and G1 (and a couple other models) all use the same remote which has a four contact wiring scheme vs the Pentax three contact scheme. I haven't run across any other manufacturers' remotes that have the same wiring scheme and four-contact mini-jack as Panasonic.

There are third party compatible remotes made for the Panasonic cameras that are very cheap ... I've seen some for under $10. I preferred the much better made Panasonic unit, DMW-RSL1, but it's expensive.

Godfrey

OP boxcam78 Forum Member • Posts: 72

Thanks everyone for replies. My suspicions about compatibility have been confirmed by Godfrey that the Pentax one is only three contacts whereas the Panasonic is four contact. Good job I did not try it.!! This is confirmed form the pictures on e-bay of the control showing clearly the 4 contacts on the plugs. I have just ordered one from China on e-bay and it costs £10 GB including shipping.

Tom K.
Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,728
Wireless remotes

boxcam78 wrote:

Thanks everyone for replies. My suspicions about compatibility have
been confirmed by Godfrey that the Pentax one is only three contacts
whereas the Panasonic is four contact. Good job I did not try
it.!! This is confirmed form the pictures on e-bay of the control
showing clearly the 4 contacts on the plugs. I have just ordered
one from China on e-bay and it costs £10 GB including shipping.

A search on eBay will also turn up any number of RF wireless remotes, which I have found to be very useful.

-- hide signature --

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS200
Re: Wireless remotes

Tom K. wrote:

A search on eBay will also turn up any number of RF wireless remotes,
which I have found to be very useful.

For releasing the shutter rather than firing flash units? What keyword search would you use? I used "RF Wireless Remote" and saw perhaps 200 hits for flash triggers but nothing that indicated shutter releases.

Could be useful to me ... a wireless remote to trigger the shutter would be great. Thanks for any information.

G

Roland99 New Member • Posts: 21

Are you really sure that the DMW-RS1 would also work with the G1. The compatibility list at least on the German Panasonic web side clearly indicates that the DMW-RS1 could only be used with the FZ50, the LC1, the FZ30 and the FZ20. Only the quite expensive DMW-RSL1 would be compatible with the G1. I have also tried with an ADIDT remote cable release which predicts to be compatible with the DMW-RS1 and it did not work with my G1 nevertheless it has a four-contact mini-jack. I have now ordered the original DMW-RSL1 to be on the safe side. Does the DMW-RS1 really work for anyone with his G1?
Roland

GAREB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,662

I have a Cactus Remote shutter release tht works perfectly for my FZ50, cost $29.00 and works pretty good http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16765

Some do not like these shutter releases, but mine has worked perfectly since I bought it last year.
JD

Godfrey wrote:

Tom K. wrote:

A search on eBay will also turn up any number of RF wireless remotes,
which I have found to be very useful.

For releasing the shutter rather than firing flash units? What
keyword search would you use? I used "RF Wireless Remote" and saw
perhaps 200 hits for flash triggers but nothing that indicated
shutter releases.

Could be useful to me ... a wireless remote to trigger the shutter
would be great. Thanks for any information.

G

JudyN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,520

Be wary of the ebay models sent from China. The one I bought for the G1 does not work. It does work with my FZ50. What I see on ebay indicates the FZ50 and the G1 use the same remote.

When I first plug it in, or press it, not sure which, I get two symbols in white in the lower right corner of the screen. I don't know what those symbols mean and then they go away.

JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
IorekB Regular Member • Posts: 217
FZ50 Remote Release works great on G1!

Just finished a day of shooting my new G1 (!) at an Air & Military Museum yesterday:
I used the Lumix DMW-RS1 Shutter Release, and it worked beautifully!

I am used to using the timer with exposure bracketing on my FZ50 when in these usually poorly lit museums (using a tripod) - so this release allowed me the same exposure bracketing in lieu of the timer.

The DMW-RS1 worked well with the bracketing, even if you choose to do the 7 picture/2 stop exposure. It is easy to half press for focus. Also does continuous bursts, no problem.

Iforgetwhat8was4 Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Please identify any brand names on the bad releases

Please identify any brand names or ebay seller of the bad releases, as well as any that are working. That would be most helpful to the rest of us.

Has anyone used an after market rubber hood?

Jonas B Forum Pro • Posts: 14,596
Not working...

I bought a remote cable release from eBay seller d-slr-a. Cheap, free shipping, promptly delivered. The only catch is that it didn't work.

I got the money refunded, friendly service and nice talkative folks.

The remote is announced as compatible with
DMC-L1
DMC-L10
DMC-FZ50
DMC-G1

and advertised as a replacement for the Panasonic DMW-RSL1.

Well, in this case it was too good to be true.

I'm interested in learning about any similar working item.

thanks,

-- hide signature --

Jonas

Your reply seemed to be to my post and I listed the DMW-RSL1.

G

Roland99 wrote:

Are you really sure that the DMW-RS1 would also work with the G1. The
compatibility list at least on the German Panasonic web side clearly
indicates that the DMW-RS1 could only be used with the FZ50, the LC1,
the FZ30 and the FZ20. Only the quite expensive DMW-RSL1 would be
compatible with the G1. I have also tried with an ADIDT remote cable
release which predicts to be compatible with the DMW-RS1 and it did
not work with my G1 nevertheless it has a four-contact mini-jack. I
have now ordered the original DMW-RSL1 to be on the safe side. Does
the DMW-RS1 really work for anyone with his G1?

Re: Not working...

This is why I always buy the factory recommended remotes.

Godfrey

Jonas B wrote:

I bought a remote cable release from eBay seller d-slr-a. Cheap, free
shipping, promptly delivered. The only catch is that it didn't work.

Re: Please identify any brand names on the bad releases

Iforgetwhat8was4 wrote:

Please identify any brand names or ebay seller of the bad releases,
as well as any that are working. That would be most helpful to the
rest of us.

From d_slr_a@yahoo.com. I'm keeping it because it works with the FZ50 and at $9.99 total it's not worth dealing with it.

Judy

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more

GAREB wrote:

I have a Cactus Remote shutter release tht works perfectly for my
FZ50, cost $29.00 and works pretty good
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=16765

Some do not like these shutter releases, but mine has worked
perfectly since I bought it last year.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Godfrey

Re: FZ50 Remote Release works great on G1!

I'm going to wait a bit before ordering another one from ebay. I have one from d-slr-a that is described as functioning for
Panasonic G1/FZ50/FZ30/FZ25/FX20/FZ-15/LC1/L1/L10

Lecia Digilux 3/2/V-Lux 1. It did not include a model number when I ordered it but the box says RS-P1.

It works on the FZ50 but not the G1. Are they supposed to be the same? The FZ50 and the G1? Or the remote that works with the G1 will work on the FZ50 but not vice versa?

So someone has a DMW-RS1 that works, but one should order the DMW-RSL1. Are the remotes called DMW-RS(L)1 on ebay the same as the one I have or will they work on the G1?

I think I'm going to wait a couple of weeks until this settles out and look at ebay again then. The batteries that apparently wouldn't work disappeared very quickly. My order for the battery was cancelled and my money got refunded.

IorekB Regular Member • Posts: 217
Sorry JudyN, It is the the Panasonic DMW-RSL1 that works well on G1

Yes, sorry JudyN - it is the DMW-RSL1 that worked so well for me on the G1 (forgot to put the 'L' in the post)

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads