Nikon D3X [USA] Online Registration Problems...

Started Dec 20, 2008 | Discussions
Gary J Jensen Senior Member • Posts: 2,204
Nikon D3X [USA] Online Registration Problems...

I just received my D3X today [12/19/2008] and experienced problems when trying to register the product online. [There is no mail-in registration card for the D3X.]

First Issue. The online registration links listed on the included instructions don't work [404 page error]. [www.nikonusa.com/register and nikonusa.com/registration]

Second Issue. The Nikonusa support "FAQ" for product registration updated on 12/08/2008 also gives an invalid link for registering products.

Third Issue. The product registration link from the D3X product information page does work. But when attempting to register the D3X, it gave an error indicating that the entered serial number was invalid; and indicated that perhaps it was a "grey market" product.

I contacted the 24-hour Nikonusa telephone support to get additional information. The Tech Rep confirmed that the links from the "First Issue" and "Second Issue" (above) were, indeed, not functioning. He indicated that they were probably working on the site.

The Tech Rep also confirmed that the serial number for my D3X was also a valid Nikon USA serial number [NOT grey market], and indicated that the error I received was probably due to their databases being not yet updated for the new product [D3X] serial numbers.

The links and serial number databases will probably be updated within a few days.

I'm posting this just for information to new D3X buyers [in the US] in case you experience similar registration problems during the next few days. Don't panic, the registration problems will be fixed.

Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,544
Re: Nikon D3X [USA] Online Registration Problems...

Isn't it wiser to test the camera before you register? IIRC after you register you can't make a direct exchange anymore should you have a problem, but you get a repair instead.

-- hide signature --

Philip

OP Gary J Jensen Senior Member • Posts: 2,204
Re: Flashlight (Philip) comment...

Flashlight wrote:

Isn't it wiser to test the camera before you register? IIRC after you
register you can't make a direct exchange anymore should you have a
problem, but you get a repair instead.

I've never had a problem with any Nikon body that I've gotten from my local pro shop. In the highly unlikely event that there is a problem with this body, I'd rather have Nikon take care of it than just "try another one" via exchange.

Besides, it will probably be several days before I do any actual "testing" with the D3X body. I'm one of those rare folks for whom the first step is to "RTFM". It will take me a little while to get through the half-inch thick D3X manual.

JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,199
Re: Flashlight (Philip) comment...a "Tip for Gary"...

Gary,...just apply all you read in the D3 Manual to the D3X and just read the D3X Manual that provides info on the 24mp sensor. This way,..you can post some shots from that badd boy for us to drool over....c'mon,..make us happy with some serious Nikon D3X IQ!!

Cheers and congrats...
--
JMD
...D2X x2 - WT-2A capable
...ITP 2.0 Pro embedded
...Nikon forever~

JMD-70's gear list:JMD-70's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
OP Gary J Jensen Senior Member • Posts: 2,204
Re: D3 Manual Suggestion - Not Much Help...

JMD-70 wrote:

Gary,...just apply all you read in the D3 Manual to the D3X and just
read the D3X Manual that provides info on the 24mp sensor. This
way,..you can post some shots from that badd boy for us to drool
over....c'mon,..make us happy with some serious Nikon D3X IQ!!

Well, that would probably be a good suggestion... IF I had the D3.

I didn't get the D3, since it didn't give me any real advantage over my D2X and D2Xs bodies for the kind of shooting that I do. I'm one of the few that waited for the camera that I really needed.

But, thanks for your comments and suggestions anyway. Oh, by the way, I see from your signature line and profile that you, too, have two D2X bodies and decided not to get the D3. [grinning]

JMD-70 Senior Member • Posts: 2,199
Re: D3 Manual Suggestion - Not Much Help...

Yep! I shoot nearly whatever that pays,... ;-). My first DSLR was the D70,..hence JMD-70. I started with 2 of those and later moved to two D2X bodies for better IQ and performance,...along with the WT-2A. I now mostly use the D2X bodies for event photography,...shoot and print on location. The income is nothing to laff at these days,... :-)>

Like many, I jumped on the D3 at the first chance,..even picked up a D300 which is nice in it's own right. I now have the D300 on CL and thinking about getting either 2 D700s for wedding work,...same IQ as the D3 and just may be the D3X for serious work for printing "Posters". I want to start building a client base for large prints, etc. Also, I do poster prints (13 x 19) of cars and bikes.

I may just get another D3 and call it a day,..as I often shoot with 2-3 lens at weddings,...24-70,...70-200 and will look to use the 14-24 and 50 1.4 on my next wedding shoot.

Enjoy the D3X and do post images often.

-- hide signature --

JMD
...D2X x2 - WT-2A capable
...ITP 2.0 Pro embedded
...Nikon forever~

JMD-70's gear list:JMD-70's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads