DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

Started Dec 4, 2008 | Discussions
Dibyendu Majumdar Senior Member • Posts: 1,078
DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

See:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=30228785

Apparently reported by CameraLab:

The sensor specs appear similar to the Sony A900, although the D3x offers 14-bit options and Live View. The D3x can shoot at 5fps in FX or 7fps in the DX format (at 10.5 Megapixels), both in 12-bit; shooting in 14-bit is at a slower rate of 1.8fps in FX mode or 2.6fps in DX. The sensitivity runs from 100 to 1600 ISO with extended 50, 3200 and 6400 ISO options.

Is this mentioned anywhere in the specifications?

Rob Galbraith says:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9318-9761

Like the D3, the frame rate of the D3X stays constant when the 14 bit option is selected, up to 5 fps in the case of the new model. To achieve a 7 fps maximum shooting rate in DX Format mode, the camera utilizes 12 bits per colour conversions.

Which is correct?

Regards

OP Dibyendu Majumdar Senior Member • Posts: 1,078
Re: D3x Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

Sorry - meant D3x in the subject.

amanray Forum Member • Posts: 80
same as a MF
n/t
xrdbear Veteran Member • Posts: 3,961
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

Which is correct?

Don't know but Nikon's full specification on their website makes no explicit mention of this limitation. It's a bit drastic.
--
Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/
Pbase gallery Pictures from Isle of Skye
http://www.pbase.com/xrdbear

ehlarson Regular Member • Posts: 231
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

Sounds like the A/D converter takes a while to get 14 bits of data.

rrcphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

nikon has lil' notations all over the place with frame rates only being applicable in 12 bit A/D conversion mode.

OP Dibyendu Majumdar Senior Member • Posts: 1,078
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

The Nikon specs say that shutter release time lag for 12-bits is 40ms, and for 14-bits it is 60ms.

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d3/en/features/specifications/

The specs say that 5ps and 7ps are achieved in 12-bit mode:

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/d3/en/features/performance/#/?jsloc=quick_responce

I can't find the 1.6 fps mentioned anywhere.

rrcphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

it's not stated.

the actual statements are:

The D3X, with its 24.5 megapixels, gives extreme-resolution photographers the chance to shoot up to 5 fps* in FX format and 7 fps* in DX crop mode (10.5 megapixels).

In DX crop mode, shooting rates of up to 11 fps (D3) and 7 fps* (D3X) increase your opportunities of nailing the precise moment you need. For situations that require full resolution, photographers can shoot in FX-format — 9 fps with the D3 and 5 fps* with the D3X — and rely on full AF and AE performance.

.. and at the bottom..

  • When 12 bit A/D conversion is used.

that doesn't seem to indicate to me that the fps is the same between 12 and 14 bit.

torax New Member • Posts: 21
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

So how many frames per second are you shooting in studio?

gonzalu
gonzalu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,435
I usually like to shoot at full 11 frames per second

whenever I can just in case the model tries to get away
--
Manny
http://www.pbase.com/gonzalu/
http://www.mannyphoto.com/
FCAS Member - http://fcasmembers.com/

 gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +21 more
rrcphoto Veteran Member • Posts: 6,173
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

torax wrote:

So how many frames per second are you shooting in studio?

and your point is what exactly?

if it's simply for studio - why is it weathersealed?

Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188
Practical test show roughly 2 fps at 14 bit

A local Nikon representative tried this out and got approximately 2 frame per second when shooting FX 14-bit NEF:s.

Turning on various levels of compression (lossless and lossy) did not affect fps, just increased the burst depth by a few frames. Burst depth seemed to be 18 with uncompressed NEF:s and could be pushed to 23 with compression (not that I think burst depth is all that important when shooting at 2 fps

This is the one thing where the Canon 1Ds Mk3 has a clear edge. It lifts 14 bit data from the sensor, processes it at 14 bit and save as 14 bit lossless compressed CR2:s with 5 fps. The D3x lifts 14 bit data from the sensor, process it at 16 bit and saves 14 bit NEF:s at 2 fps.

One common argument to use a DSLR instead of a MF camera in for example fashion shooting is fast AF and fast framerate. This is to me the single biggest disappointment in the D3x.

Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:

See:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=30228785

Apparently reported by CameraLab:

The sensor specs appear similar to the Sony A900, although the D3x
offers 14-bit options and Live View. The D3x can shoot at 5fps in FX
or 7fps in the DX format (at 10.5 Megapixels), both in 12-bit;
shooting in 14-bit is at a slower rate of 1.8fps in FX mode or 2.6fps
in DX. The sensitivity runs from 100 to 1600 ISO with extended 50,
3200 and 6400 ISO options.

Is this mentioned anywhere in the specifications?

Rob Galbraith says:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-9318-9761

Like the D3, the frame rate of the D3X stays constant when the 14 bit
option is selected, up to 5 fps in the case of the new model. To
achieve a 7 fps maximum shooting rate in DX Format mode, the camera
utilizes 12 bits per colour conversions.

Which is correct?

Regards

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!

By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

 Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
OleThorsen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,111
The Japanese Nikon D3X site has the information

The D3X 14bit maximum frame rate is mentioned at the Japanese Nikon D3X site as 1.8fps (FX) and 2.6fps (DX), even though it's a little difficult to understand with this translation, because they also mention the buffer full rate just before. Look at the second paragraph named "Respond to the demands of professional high-speed continuous shooting" at this link

http://209.85.173.104/translate_c?hl=da&langpair=ja |en&u= http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/digital/d3x/features02.htm&usg=ALkJrhh-rYN7G2olrgH39CP6nWplHFz09Q

There is also a FX NEF buffer specification here of between 21-34 frames depending on 12/14bit mode and compression settings, and a DX NEF buffer between 29-83 frames:

http://209.85.173.104/translate_c?hl=da&langpair=ja |en&u= http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/digital/d3x/spec.htm&usg=ALkJrhjvNYAy4SqFAhqMXRfORxwQuoz1yQ#mode

The difference between the 12 and 14bit frame rate is also hinted at in Tim Andrew's On Assignment description at page 27 in the D3X pdf brochure and at the D3X micro site as well.

Regards
Ole Thorsen
http://www.pbase.com/ole_thorsen

  • OMNISCIENCE

Knowing what
thou knowest not
is in a sense
omniscience.
(Grook by Piet Hein)

 OleThorsen's gear list:OleThorsen's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 +32 more
menameisatsushi Regular Member • Posts: 268
Yap 1.8fps in 14bit FX mode

I agree.

Japanese site clearly indicates it is 1.8fps in 14bit FX mode.

Atu

OleThorsen wrote:

The D3X 14bit maximum frame rate is mentioned at the Japanese Nikon
D3X site as 1.8fps (FX) and 2.6fps (DX), even though it's a little
difficult to understand with this translation, because they also
mention the buffer full rate just before. Look at the second
paragraph named "Respond to the demands of professional high-speed
continuous shooting" at this link

http://209.85.173.104/translate_c?hl=da&langpair=ja |en&u= http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/digital/d3x/features02.htm&usg=ALkJrhh-rYN7G2olrgH39CP6nWplHFz09Q

There is also a FX NEF buffer specification here of between 21-34
frames depending on 12/14bit mode and compression settings, and a DX
NEF buffer between 29-83 frames:

http://209.85.173.104/translate_c?hl=da&langpair=ja |en&u= http://www.nikon-image.com/jpn/products/camera/slr/digital/d3x/spec.htm&usg=ALkJrhjvNYAy4SqFAhqMXRfORxwQuoz1yQ#mode

The difference between the 12 and 14bit frame rate is also hinted at
in Tim Andrew's On Assignment description at page 27 in the D3X pdf
brochure and at the D3X micro site as well.

Regards
Ole Thorsen
http://www.pbase.com/ole_thorsen

  • OMNISCIENCE

Knowing what
thou knowest not
is in a sense
omniscience.
(Grook by Piet Hein)

George DeCamp
George DeCamp Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

Landscapes?
--
George DeCamp
http://www.decamp.net

 George DeCamp's gear list:George DeCamp's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 100-400mm Nikon Nikkor Z 24-120mm F4 S Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S Nikkor 800mm F6.3 VR S
Rexyinc
Rexyinc Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

this so isn't going to be the wedding photographers rig i was hoping for is it now..

1.8frame 14bit sec is twice as slow as a baby hassy at 1 16bit frames a sec

grrr @ nikon

lucky i still will have my d3 at my side for the 'action' shots eh ?.. so i guess i kinda am lumped with 1.8frames a sec.. bugga will take a bit of getting used to.. going to feel like im back in the old kodak 14n days.. click.. ok everyone have a smoko while we wait for the camera to save the shot.. ok ready.. click.. oh no, she blinked.. ok time for another smoko.. and so on and so on

jjnik Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: DX3 Maximum fps in 14-bit is only 1.6 fps?

Wow - this is a big surprise - seems like the same kludge 14 bit execution that is on the D300 !! I wonder if it also has the 14 bit shutter "lag" I had on my D300 (don't miss that on my D700). Very disppointing and sort of deceptive of Nikon to "bury" this spec somewhat - I was under the impression it was 14 bit at 5fps from the announcement materials. Oh well, not a camera I was going to purchase anyhow (can't afford and don't need), but a further negative given the price point for the Flagship model.

Moonwalker Senior Member • Posts: 2,121
disappointment

"One common argument to use a DSLR instead of a MF camera in for example fashion shooting is fast AF and fast framerate. This is to me the single biggest disappointment in the D3x."

For me, it's the missing sensor cleaning. If you shoot landscapes you don't want to spend a big part of your life removing dust from images & the sensor.

Markus

Rexyinc
Rexyinc Regular Member • Posts: 434
Re: disappointment

hugely disapointed now..

quick call to my dealer - leaf DMF 22mp is $15k aust with 'three' prime lenses.. does 16bit at 1.3 frames/sec but is not what so ever anywhere near anything close to being weatherproof lol..

if the d3x comes out street price near vanbars $7k i'll go the d3x, if it comes out at rrp $8k usd here which is close to $12k, i'll go the leaf thanks.

question has to be, why nikon do i need 51 focus points blah blah blah for only 1.8frames a second 14bit? please tell me this ??

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,230
Re: disappointment
-- hide signature --

What's the big deal? Just shoot in 12 bit. I doubt there'll be much of a difference. 14bit is a marketing move.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads