MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

Started Dec 2, 2008 | Discussions
Matt Cham Veteran Member • Posts: 4,120
MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

Anybody have experience with the MB-D10 clones (3rd party grips) for the D300/D700? Are any of the clones actually better than the real MB-D10?

-- hide signature --
 Matt Cham's gear list:Matt Cham's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
N L Dukes Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

Mine is due for delivery any day now. It's from Link Delight (China) via E-bay. I'll post a brief review when I've tried it.
--
NLD
http://www.ndukes.net

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,622
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

Matt Cham wrote:

Anybody have experience with the MB-D10 clones (3rd party grips) for
the D300/D700? Are any of the clones actually better than the real
MB-D10?

-- hide signature --

Since the MB-D10 is so well made compared to other grips, I would not bother with a clone.
--
http://dslr-video.com/blogmag/

Darren Langdon
Darren Langdon Contributing Member • Posts: 738
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

PerL wrote:

Since the MB-D10 is so well made compared to other grips, I would not
bother with a clone.

Have you tried any of the clones like the one from Link Delight or are you just speculating?
--

One should never 'take' a photo but rather make one.....the only thing you should take is your time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_langdon/collections

FCAS Member #104

 Darren Langdon's gear list:Darren Langdon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Chris Walden Senior Member • Posts: 2,394
On the boat from China...

I also purchased a MB-D10 clone from Link Delight that shipped a few days ago and should arrive this week.

You can search around the forums there are many threads that go into the pros and cons and honestly I couldn't find anyone that was unhappy with the clone. In fact depending on the features (see below) the clone may offer you more options depending on what you need.

On ebay Link Delight has many different grips so keep a sharp eye out... Some offer remote control, others a infra red beam when broken takes a photo and the one I purchased came with two extra batteries (details below).

I paid $116 out the door.

Item title: Battery Grip MB-D10 for Nikon D700 D300 +2* EN-EL3E B8F
Item number: 330289429406

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 13,622
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

Darren Langdon wrote:

PerL wrote:

Since the MB-D10 is so well made compared to other grips, I would not
bother with a clone.

Have you tried any of the clones like the one from Link Delight or
are you just speculating?

Just speculating, but the MB-D10 is built in the same metal finish as the D300/D700 and feels like an integral part of the body, which cant be said about the plastic grips I have seen or tried (the Nikon grip for D200 and the one for D80/90). Does the third party grips give the same speed boost to 8 fps as the MB-D10?

-- hide signature --

One should never 'take' a photo but rather make one.....the only
thing you should take is your time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_langdon/collections

FCAS Member #104

Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,493
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

I have one and it is identical to the nikon, it works, looks and feels just like the nikon, I could swear that it is subcontracted by nikon in the same factory.

The advantage of the clone is that it has the focus selector point just like the nikon one.

The other models (the one with the remote control, or the other with the built in rechargeable battery) do not have the focusing point joystick. For me the joystick is a tad more important than the remote control - I have a remote already.

I bought mine in ebay also, but it included an extra battery and the aa adapter, also included was the en-el4 adapter to use my D3 batteries.

 Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Ricoh WG-M1 Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 +66 more
kanaddict Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

Hi,

I got a 3rd party grip last jully and it work perfectly for 1/3 of the price.
For my personnal use, i don't feel that the Nikon would do a better job.

Good shopping !

-- hide signature --
Darren Langdon
Darren Langdon Contributing Member • Posts: 738
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

I emailed several buyers of the clone grip on ebay ( buyers from Link-Delight) with several questions about the grip. In short the answers I got were - it's almost identical to the MB-D10, the included batteries get 750-800 shots per charge compared to 1000 for ENEL3e, 8fps with aa's and the included battery chamber, and all were quite impressed with the quality of the grip. Of course longevity is still a question. Eventually I did order one and is now in the process of shipping. To buy the same Nikon items here in Canada it would cost me $475 Canadian for the grip and 2 batteries, tax included. I got the clone and 2 batteries for $145 Canadian, a savings of $330. Even if it's slightly lesser quality than the Nikon, it's still quite a deal in my opinion.
--

One should never 'take' a photo but rather make one.....the only thing you should take is your time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_langdon/collections

FCAS Member #104

 Darren Langdon's gear list:Darren Langdon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
PhotoArtKC Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Re: MB-D10 vs. 3rd party grips for D300/D700

Did you get yours from Ebay? Specific seller?

-- hide signature --

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

RobByePhoto
RobByePhoto Regular Member • Posts: 276
For Darren...

Darren Langdon wrote:

To buy the same Nikon items here in Canada it
would cost me $475 Canadian for the grip and 2 batteries, tax
included. I got the clone and 2 batteries for $145 Canadian, a
savings of $330. Even if it's slightly lesser quality than the Nikon,
it's still quite a deal in my opinion.

I bought my Nikon grip in Canada, and I have to say, the high price charged here never has seemed fair. If the clone even comes close, remember what "the guy with the accent" says, and "save your money".
--
Rob Bye
http://www.RobByePhoto.com

 RobByePhoto's gear list:RobByePhoto's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
kanaddict Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Link

Here is the one I have. This model have the "lock-on" slider (on the top) that allow you to lock the battery grip shutter release. This is a usefull function that some of the other battery grip don't have.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BATTERY-GRIP-NIKON-D300-D700-MB-D10-Multi-Function-DSLR_W0QQitemZ390012441913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Camera_Accessories?hash=item390012441913&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

-- hide signature --
OP Matt Cham Veteran Member • Posts: 4,120
No fps increase?

Does your clone model allow fps increase when using
the larger battery (of the D3)? Will that battery even fit?

-- hide signature --
 Matt Cham's gear list:Matt Cham's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
OP Matt Cham Veteran Member • Posts: 4,120
To: Bobby Handal

Please post an ebay link - I would like to see what your grip
looks like. Thanks Bobby.

Bobby Handal wrote:

I have one and it is identical to the nikon, it works, looks and
feels just like the nikon, I could swear that it is subcontracted by
nikon in the same factory.

The advantage of the clone is that it has the focus selector point
just like the nikon one.

The other models (the one with the remote control, or the other with
the built in rechargeable battery) do not have the focusing point
joystick. For me the joystick is a tad more important than the remote
control - I have a remote already.

I bought mine in ebay also, but it included an extra battery and the
aa adapter, also included was the en-el4 adapter to use my D3
batteries.

-- hide signature --
 Matt Cham's gear list:Matt Cham's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
kanaddict Senior Member • Posts: 1,001
Re: No fps increase?

Hi Matt,

I have to admit that I don't know if the big battery will fit. I'll use 8 AA Eneloop batteries. I used some Eneloop in my SB-800 all the summer and these batteries are superior to all the AA I had before. I had to buy more of them. I got the batteries only a few weeks ago & never had the opportunity to use them with the grip. From what I read, I should get the fps increase. You can email the store who sale them on ebay. I'm sure that he will answer your question.

Best regards,

-- hide signature --
Elixir Contributing Member • Posts: 679
Please report back

I may save some money and get one, too. Would love to hear reviews when you all get yours.

OP Matt Cham Veteran Member • Posts: 4,120
8x AA vs big D3 battery

kanaddict wrote:

Hi Matt,

I have to admit that I don't know if the big battery will fit. I'll
use 8 AA Eneloop batteries. I used some Eneloop in my SB-800 all the
summer and these batteries are superior to all the AA I had before. I
had to buy more of them. I got the batteries only a few weeks ago &
never had the opportunity to use them with the grip. From what I
read, I should get the fps increase. You can email the store who sale
them on ebay. I'm sure that he will answer your question.

Yeah, the AA will allow fps increase.
The nice thing about the big D3 battery is that it gives > 3000 shots
per charge.

Does anyone know how many shots the 8x AA batteries
will provide (assuming top brand NiMH with 2800+ mAh)?

Just considering my options... especially if I travel with
my D3, it would be good to just use one battery
type and one battery charger.

-- hide signature --
 Matt Cham's gear list:Matt Cham's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Matix Senior Member • Posts: 1,065
Re: Please report back

I guess it is a gamble, I bought one, a Phottix. Fits ok but does not tighten snug on the D300 base, and as it is not metal but plastic in construction it flexes a lot, and is useless with a tripod.

Worst of it is, it did not give the extra FPS that the Nikon one does, in fact tried on both the D300 and the D700 it will fire 2 or 3 shots, pause, fire one shot, pause and then nothing. Sometimes it will fire 4 shots at a slow rate, then nothing, but never any more than 3 or 4 fps. This seems to be a common complaint on this forum.

It sits in a drawer now, a reminder that cheap Chinese knock offs are at best a gamble, good luck getting a good one, if it works then it is worth the saving, if not...

Phil
--
Matix - These Photographers are Crazy!!

Elixir Contributing Member • Posts: 679
Ick. That's bad.

The one by "Link Delight" looks much better than the one you got... I did see that one and thought better of it (looked really plastic to me).

Otherwise, I'll just suck it up and get the Nikon grip. I would only use it occasionally, and didn't find it worth the larger expense. $100 is about right, though.

OP Matt Cham Veteran Member • Posts: 4,120
Re: Bad clones

Yeah, I would not buy a clone if low price was the
only reason. I would only get a clone if it was
somehow actually better than the Nikon version.

For example, I got a Kenko 1.4x TC for my Canon
gear because it allowed AF at f/11 when the
genuine Canon 1.4x TC would not.

-- hide signature --
 Matt Cham's gear list:Matt Cham's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads