Kodak Ektar sample scans!

Started Nov 26, 2008 | Discussions
prodesma Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
Kodak Ektar sample scans!

I've gone thru two rolls and decided i would try to help some others, if i can offer my humble and modest abilities to show this new or rejuvenated film.

personally, i'm not sure it's right for me. my local film supplier gave me a roll, along w/ a roll of Fuji Across 100 b&w, and a roll of Fuji Provia 400x (chrome/transparency) to 'test' and give feedback on... all are 35mm film. and it goes without saying, YMMV.

personally... i'm not sure ektar is for me. i'm a fuji reala guy, and still in love w/ film for this very reason. i want the saturated tones and color channel separation that reala strikes my eyes as having... tough to get in PP, although some others (pursits?) would call bubble-gummy colors, perhaps.

the first roll of acros was NOT good. i dint realize it should've truly been rated at ISO 64. ran first roll at ISO 100 (rated), xtol 1:1... pretty flat unremarkable results. second roll (yes, i went and BOUGHT a second!)... beautiful: rated ISO 64, xtol 1:1 processed at rated (100 ASA).

Provia 400x. well, not sure i'd go slide film at ISO 400, but this is truly the only player in that game i s'pose. i'd prolly stay w/ others (sensia... or UGH! kodak vc400), but don't care to shoot ISO 400 color film too often anyways.

small ektar scans below. LARGE scans in next post (if you're still on dial-up, you've prolly got more to worry about than viewing my modest film scans- eh? scans varied... 'ektar1' files are processed by my local pro lab (NewLab) and scanned by me thru my microtek artixscan m1 pro w/ silverfast, no add'l PP. 'ektar2' scans are local costco, w/ processing- just to 'test' color space difference of my scanner as well as get valid outside reference.

used: F100 w/ nikon 135/2 DC:

used: F100 w/ mostly sigma 24-70/2.8 AND b+w kaeseman CPL:

i dunno, might've used a vivitar series one 28/2 lens on the ferry building shot... don't remember. yes, on the right of last image is Amit Gupta- founder of photojojo. shot during treasure island photo event last weekend, here in san francisco bay area. if it matters, shot w/ couple on pier w/ bay bridge and shot w/ amit are using my nikon 135/2 DC.

again, large scans in next post! you've been warned!

cheers.

-- hide signature --
 prodesma's gear list:prodesma's gear list
A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +3 more
OP prodesma Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
*warning* LARGE FILES: Kodak Ektar scans **

i've also posted this in 'sample & galleries' forum to share w/ our non-nikonians... i hope the kind folks of dpreview can forgive this transgression... okay, so large scans are here. again, "ektar1" scans were on my microtek artixscan m1 pro using silverfast. some USM, no add'l PP after scanning- processed by my local prolab (NewLab). "ektar2" scans are from my local costco, done w/ developing.

personally, i LOVE the fact there is no grain AT ALL. but i think i love fuji reala color more. just my taste. YMMV. to my eyes, color seems more 'accurate' than 'saturated' as kodak is claiming. for this over-saturated look, i'd rather use the lomo 100 ASA film anyways.

well, there you have it. for all you who wish to critique & comment, please feel free- i welcome it. but making remarks like i've recently gotten to "go back and read my manual and learn photography" aren't gonna help inspire me to keep posting things for OTHERS' benefit.

it took me time and money, so keep that in mind please. also, i tried some open shade, some sun, some skin tones, some architecture, blue skies, and bright colored subjects... some w/ deep contrasts and harsh shadow roll-off. so this should give a fairly versatile range of the film... but not necessarily MY technical ability.

no additional post-processing was done to remove dust, sharpen, correct color, etc. a couple of the ektar1 scans you may notice are in Adobe 1998 RGB colorspace, the rest are sRGB. that's about it.

take it all FWIW. and Happy Gobble Day. cheers.

-- hide signature --
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: *warning* LARGE FILES: Kodak Ektar scans **

Looks decent enough.

I know Kodak say it is for scenic/travel and product shots, not for skintones..and I can see why they say that.

Have to get a few rolls myself, but it is a film I would use for landscapes and shots where colour is a primary factor, not really an everyday type of film by the looks of it.

Does seem a notch lower than ultra colour though, a bit..which was always too much for me. In the summertime, this could be a good choice though, with rich, but not cartoon like colours..

sakaasa Regular Member • Posts: 396

I really appreciate your time and effort. I haven't been able to get the Ektar 100 where I live yet, so I am glad to have the opportunity to see what it does. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Sharon

..'a Goal is a Vision with a timeframe'.. Disa T.

Dennis DH Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

Thanks for your time testing and posting.

I to am a huge fan of reala. just had some large prints made of our granddaughters from D3 files and even though they are very nice, the wife commented the skin tones sure can't match reala and I have to agree. I sold all my film cameras to get the D3 but might have to find a clean used F100

thanks for all the replies.

barry: i guess, each to their own. i feel this film base isn't well suited for travel/landscapes... that's velvia or reala or even sensia for me. skin tones, yeah, it's not the strength of this film IMHO too. maybe product shots, but i don't know about that either...

sharon: thanks for taking the time to respond. i suppose each should make up their own mind, but glad if i can help in any way.

dennis: glad you visited. yeah, reala. if i had the money right now, i'd consider getting a contax g2 just to have an AF zeiss lens. i mean, i'm thinking about how nice the sony a900 would be for the zeiss AF glass. geeeeeez. i can only imagine a contax g2 + zeiss 28/2.8 + reala/velvia/sensia/hp5... i'd bet that dog would prolly walk itself!

in the mean time, i still love my f100. my n80 hasn't run a roll of film in prolly two years, maybe time for it to go soon... to a photog student? hmmm.

cheers.

-- hide signature --
Barry Fitzgerald Forum Pro • Posts: 29,888
Re: thanks for all the replies.

prodesma wrote:

barry: i guess, each to their own. i feel this film base isn't well
suited for travel/landscapes... that's velvia or reala or even
sensia for me. skin tones, yeah, it's not the strength of this film
IMHO too. maybe product shots, but i don't know about that either...

Only point to make, is that if you are using silverfast, the film profile you pick can make a huge difference to the look of the film. As there is no profile for it (last time I checked the updates for silverfast), I would wonder how it might look with different profiles, sometimes even odd choices can give nice results.

Also worth checking the colour balance too..silverfast can tweak that as well, again..output can change a lot on this one.

The ist samples I saw of the film, looked very different to yours...WB looks pretty cool/blue & green to my eye..from your scans

Barry, you're absolutely right...

film profile in scanning is essential to showing the 'actual' color rendition of a film... and SF doesn't have one for the new ektar AFAIK. i played around w/ a few, and ended up using one that i thought gave most accurate color.

you may notice that my ektar scans look blue-ish in cast... yes, i agree, they appear that way to my eyes as well. but the #3 scan of three men in chinatown looks pretty realistic IMHO- and that was scanned using silverfast by me.

and then, the very last two scans (of ferry bldg and three peeps) still have that blue-ish cast, and those were scanned by my local costco on their noritsu using auto corrections.

to my eyes, it appears that ektar excels at orange and red color rendering, and is weaker in greens and skin tones. i am happy to hear how other people are 'seeing' this film, and agree w/ your opinions barry.

also, i'd like to reiterate that i dint make any additional changes or PP to scans... so i clearly could go back and adjust WB or color channels... but tried to simply find how the film stock itself renders.

cheers.

-- hide signature --
Michael Darnton Regular Member • Posts: 154

All I see are some color correction problems. When I brought one of the photos into photoshop and did a very direct correction, it looked a whole lot better. I did a levels correction on the guy on the park bench smoking: click the black eyedropper on his leg right next to the bench arm on the right, the darkest spot, click the white dropper on the brightest part of his coat sleeve, on his forearm, and the middle, grey, dropper on the tiny little patch of sunlit sidewalk between his left wrist and the bench. Presto--a whole lot better.

sakaasa Regular Member • Posts: 396

You are right. I tried the adjusting a few of the scans. It does make a difference. I am looking forward to trying a few rolls.

-- hide signature --

Sharon

..'a Goal is a Vision with a timeframe'.. Disa T.

honeybadger Regular Member • Posts: 240
Fabulous

Gosh, I've never ever seen tomatoes shot with such sensitivity and beauty. Not one, but two breathtaking shots. And a pomegranate shot too! The red, the composition, oooh the humanity. I'm not worthy. Please, if you have a squirrel shot, please please post it.

Honeybadger

yes, here -ektar samples- with a few color corrections...

yes, of course... i've color corrected a bit on these few. i was worried if i did ANY sort of adjustments that peeps here would have my head, saying that is 'post-processing'. which, uhhhhh, actually it is.

so, i've given you:

• straight from my pro lab and my scanner

• straight from costco and their full auto scanner

now some modestly color corrected and adjusted scans. and honestly, without a true film profile in silverfast, i would EXPECT to color correct at the least. the great thing about having a darkroom AND a lightroom is the flexibility it offers in delivering what you originally envision. (IMHO anyways).

this first still looks a bit 'off' to my eyes. i'm guessing i dint 'nail' exposure and might've been responsible for inaccurate color on my actual film capture(?).

shade & direct daylight in this one:

thanks for your kind words honeybadger... sorry no ektar squirrel shots on these two rolls... i've got plenty of other squirrel captures though. maybe i can dig up one on another film type? hey! how about strawberries though? both on ektar.

and bell peppers:

sadly, not a single reply from the samples & galleries forum where this REALLY IS SUPPOSED TO BE POSTED, eh?. sigh

happy gobble day.

-- hide signature --
thanks honeybadger

okay, i found a reala 100 film shot of a squirrel... this fella came right up and nearly swiped my macro lens (tokina 90mm f/2.5 manual focus)... hee hee. NOT my best squirrel shot ever, but anyways.

and these are part of the reason why i love reala so much:

this last is with my sigma 100-300/4, 'cuz i couldn't walk out to these flowers, they were off-limits in the botanical garden.

oh, the sunrise shot might've been my sigma 20/1.8. i dunno since i don't have exif on my film captures...

cheers.

-- hide signature --
honeybadger Regular Member • Posts: 240
Re: thanks honeybadger

Thank you for that marvelous shot of the squirrel. Even though I am stuffed with to much turkey and stuffing, I still had to run and eat a peanut after staring at that photo for a while.

Stefan Lindgren Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: Kodak Ektar sample scans!

Is the Artixscan sharp enough to extract all information on the film or would it be possible to get some more detail and maybe also a chance to explore the film grain structure if you used a real film scanner?

Regards/ Stefan

Stefan Lindgren Forum Member • Posts: 53

I published a Kodak Ektar 100 review a wile ago if anyone care it can be found at
http://www.stockholmviews.com/kodak-ektar-100-review/index.html
--
Diy freak :0)

Dennis DH Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

Reala, yep my favorite sensor of all time, still have a freezer full

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads