G10: My preferred workflow

Started Nov 18, 2008 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Vidar NM
Vidar NM Regular Member • Posts: 456
G10: My preferred workflow

I've received a few questions regarding my workflow with the G10. Hopefully this may be helpful to some.

• Shooting at ISO80 (results at DSLR level)

• Always with the Histogram on the LCD, especially paying attention to the highlights

• For shooting I only use these modes: M, P, Av and Tv - which one is depending on the situation

• While waiting for Lightroom to support the G10, I convert my raw images in DPP

• In DPP I use the following settings. Chroma NR: Default (I don't touch it), Luminance NR: Off (zero!). In the raw tab in DPP I turn sharpness from 6 (default for ISO80) to 1!

• In DPP I only do basic adjustments to exposure and colors

• Conversion from raw to 16bit tiff

• I open the tiffs in Lightroom where I remove CA and lens distortion (the latter with a plug-in called PTLens). Before exporting to CS3, I do cropping and alignments + apply a little sharpening in LR: Amount 50, Radius 0,5, Detail 0, Masking 0.

• In PS I start by cleaning up the image (cloning, spot removal etc).

• Then I apply NR with NIK Dfine. Depending on the image Dfine will suggest a value after analyzing. Using the Dfine Layer at 100% sometimes work, other times I will have to decrease the transparency of the layer.

• Next stop is detail recovery (works very well!). I use a macro from DOP (outbackphoto.com) called DOP_EasyD Plus. It really provide detail and sharpness that you didn't know were there!

• The Master Image is ready! From this I make different develops for whatever purpose. This is where the final sharpening (or any other special effects) are applied (not on the Master Image!)

• The End

-vidar

You can see the image below in different sizes, along with many new samples in my G10 Gallery: http://flickr.com/photos/vidarnm/sets/72157608453841490/

Vidar NM's gear list:Vidar NM's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +4 more
Dianne W
Dianne W Senior Member • Posts: 1,331
Re: G10: My preferred workflow

Outstanding photo! I love the detail in the boards and the colors. I reviewed your gallery, the images are stunning. Thank you for sharing your work flow, your images really show what this camera is capable of producing.

Dianne W's gear list:Dianne W's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
mattrix Regular Member • Posts: 414

OUTSTANDING PHOTOS!

No matter the camera these are great, I LOVE the train photos.

Matt
--
http://flickr.com/photos/jomatt/

Terreve Regular Member • Posts: 326

Vidar your pictures are stunning, absolutely beautiful.
--

Thank you for describing your workflow. As a newbie to digital photography (lots of experience with film), I have been experimenting with DPP and CS3, and it is good to hear how one can get the results that you have.

Shimmers Forum Member • Posts: 58

Lovely photos. Beautiful country. Thanks for sharing!!

Shimmers's gear list:Shimmers's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +2 more
Jorgito Junior Member • Posts: 47

Vidar the light in after the rain is simply pretty. I liked the way you portray the scene... although i also like other types like rude or blurry .. it sometimes tells something else, you know? It's not about perfection, it's about what it evokes in oneself in my opinion

Vidar NM
Vidar NM OP Regular Member • Posts: 456
Thanks...

to you guys for nice words on my images.
v

Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +4 more
John down under Veteran Member • Posts: 8,238
I wouldn't sharpen before reducing noise

Vidar NM wrote:

I've received a few questions regarding my workflow with the G10.
Hopefully this may be helpful to some.

• Shooting at ISO80 (results at DSLR level)

• Always with the Histogram on the LCD, especially paying attention

to the highlights

• For shooting I only use these modes: M, P, Av and Tv - which one is

depending on the situation

• While waiting for Lightroom to support the G10, I convert my raw

images in DPP

• In DPP I use the following settings. Chroma NR: Default (I don't

touch it), Luminance NR: Off (zero!). In the raw tab in DPP I turn
sharpness from 6 (default for ISO80) to 1!

• In DPP I only do basic adjustments to exposure and colors

• Conversion from raw to 16bit tiff

• I open the tiffs in Lightroom where I remove CA and lens distortion

(the latter with a plug-in called PTLens). Before exporting to CS3, I
do cropping and alignments + apply a little sharpening in LR: Amount
50, Radius 0,5, Detail 0, Masking 0.

• In PS I start by cleaning up the image (cloning, spot removal etc).

• Then I apply NR with NIK Dfine. Depending on the image Dfine will

suggest a value after analyzing. Using the Dfine Layer at 100%
sometimes work, other times I will have to decrease the transparency
of the layer.

• Next stop is detail recovery (works very well!). I use a macro from

DOP (outbackphoto.com) called DOP_EasyD Plus. It really provide
detail and sharpness that you didn't know were there!

• The Master Image is ready! From this I make different develops for

whatever purpose. This is where the final sharpening (or any other
special effects) are applied (not on the Master Image!)

• The End

-vidar

Vidar, I wouldn't sharpen out of Lightroom before reducing luminance noise in PS. If you do, you're sharpening and strengthening noise, whihc makes it harder to remove and degrades the image more than necessary. I leave sharpening until later in the workflow, usually at the output stage at final output size, certainly after doing any noise reduction.

BTW, I'm also using Nik Dfine 2 for NR. I wouldn't think it would be needed much at all for ISO 80 images as you wouldn't notice much difference in prints or for web output.

-- hide signature --

Cheers John, Adelaide Australia; http://www.pbase.com/jhphoto ; 50D, 40D, F100fd

Vidar NM
Only slight capture sharpening

I basically agree with you. The sharpening I perform before NR is very mild, as you can see from the sharpening settings in LR (Detail at zero and Radius at minimum, meaning I only get a slight sharpening of the edges, not the areas where NR will do the job).

Regarding NR at ISO80 it depends on the rest of your work flow. With a good exposure you will get a perfectly sharp and good image without NR, but when I want to pull out more detail (with the DOP_EasyD plus script mentioned), I have found that at NR helps me "protect" the smooth areas where there are no details that I want to pull out.

In general you will also improve your large master image with some NR, even at ISO80, although the effect is not visible on screen, but on large prints.

-vidar

Frostfrog Senior Member • Posts: 1,641
My G10 should arrive day after tomorrow...

I will be certain to consult your workflow again.

Thank you!

Roger Nordin
Roger Nordin Senior Member • Posts: 1,649
PTLens and Lightroom?

Vidar NM wrote:

• I open the tiffs in Lightroom where I remove CA and lens distortion

(the latter with a plug-in called PTLens).

How do actually use PTLens as a plug-in for Lightroom? I just got a PTLens license a while ago, but now you reminded me how to figure out how to use with Lightroom 2.1.

Any advise is most welcome.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Roger

Roger Nordin's gear list:Roger Nordin's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Vidar NM
Re: PTLens and Lightroom?

Make sure you have the latest version of PTLens downloaded. After installation it should be availble both in Photoshop and in Lightroom. In LR you should find it when opening the menu option "Edit in". It works the same way as in PS. If you're working on a raw file in LR (not yet G10 files) a copy of the original file will pop up in LR for further processing.

-v
---------------
Galleries: http://www.flickriver.com/photos/vidarnm/sets/
Flickr Profile: http://www.flickr.com/people/vidarnm/

gordonsbuck Senior Member • Posts: 1,388
Works well

The "sharpening" done during raw conversion in Adobe Camera Raw is not the same process as unsharp mask sharpening. If you think of this process as "capture sharpening", the net result of capture sharpening in ACR followed by noise reduction is a better image. I use Noiseware but the results should be similar with other good tools. Try it.

bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 8,770
questions

Were a couple of these images taken with a TC adapter or WA adapter? I'm thinking of the one with pronounced vignetting, and the street scene which has the look of an ultra WA shot (bending of the pavement, etc). I ask because of the limits of focal lengths of the G9 and G10.

Also, how often do you find it necessary to shoot at ISOs higher than 80? I know you do use those ISOs. Depending on the ultimate use of the image, even ISO 400 can be very good to excellent, with the G9 (and probably with the G10 also). Subject movement, and lack of a tripod coupled with less-than-optimal lighting, can force a higher ISO in many situations.

Last, a couple of observations. You have some really stunning images. They show the rest of us what can be accomplished. Your workflow description will be of value to many, but it's obvious to me that your skill at processing images will not be matched by many of us.

Thanks for posting your workflow description, and the link.

Bill Hansen

rudingshain New Member • Posts: 18

Mine is

Open the cr2 files in RAW PHOTO Processor - save then to 16 bit lab tiff - open them in CS3 and make other post processing steps - mostly unsharp mask an a little more color because most pictures are a little on the soft and flaw side
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28616805@N00/
http://baby-jahre.de

Vidar NM
Re: questions

Bill,

So far I've only used the G10 as it came out of the box. Non of the pics are captured with any lens add-ons. The wide (=FF 28mm) on the G10 really makes a difference.

I find the IS very helpful (as I also remember it from the G9). Espescially when shooting wide (which allows you to use f2.8) I can go with ISO80 in quite dim daylight. That is of course when I don't need to freeze movement.

Even if I try to avoid it for potential large fine art prints, I find ISO200 more than usable for any other purpose.

I also agree that you can obtain very good results even at ISO400, a little dependent on the kind of scene (and type of light). Bounced flash (on white ceiling) will give very good results, while hard contrast indoor scenes with Tungsten light are more tricky.

...and thanks a lot for your nice words.

Have a nice day!
vidar

bill hansen wrote:

Were a couple of these images taken with a TC adapter or WA adapter?
I'm thinking of the one with pronounced vignetting, and the street
scene which has the look of an ultra WA shot (bending of the
pavement, etc). I ask because of the limits of focal lengths of the
G9 and G10.

Also, how often do you find it necessary to shoot at ISOs higher than
80? I know you do use those ISOs. Depending on the ultimate use of
the image, even ISO 400 can be very good to excellent, with the G9
(and probably with the G10 also). Subject movement, and lack of a
tripod coupled with less-than-optimal lighting, can force a higher
ISO in many situations.

Last, a couple of observations. You have some really stunning images.
They show the rest of us what can be accomplished. Your workflow
description will be of value to many, but it's obvious to me that
your skill at processing images will not be matched by many of us.

Thanks for posting your workflow description, and the link.

Bill Hansen

Thomas Niemann Veteran Member • Posts: 4,349

After downloading the latest release, there's a ReadMe file that explains how to use PTLens in Lightroom.

Roger Nordin
Roger Nordin Senior Member • Posts: 1,649

Vidar NM wrote:

Make sure you have the latest version of PTLens downloaded. After
installation it should be availble both in Photoshop and in
Lightroom. In LR you should find it when opening the menu option
"Edit in". It works the same way as in PS. If you're working on a raw
file in LR (not yet G10 files) a copy of the original file will pop
up in LR for further processing.

Thanks, really useful for my G7 and Ixus860IS shots. Though not quite there as a plug-in yet - but it certainly makes such corrections much much faster per photo than loading Photoshop. I especially enjoy the quick perspective correction controls, much faster than the Lens Correction filter going through PS.

Let's hope we can finally some day get a filter SDK plug-in for Lightroom, so that PTLens and NoiseNinja/NeatImage/etc can be fully integrated.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Roger

Roger Nordin's gear list:Roger Nordin's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
rkhndjr Forum Pro • Posts: 13,075
Re: questions

Vidar, I use JPEG only and am wondering if you tried that and what are your feelings if so.
--
Russ

Vidar NM
Very good jpegs out of the box...

Russ,

I captured some jpeg samples (see one below) after picking up the G10 and was surprised by the quality. I have a few additional comments on this here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidarnm/2984518916/in/set-72157608453841490/

You can also choose to see the image in different sizes by following the same link

Regards
-vidar

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads