G10's LCD dims when held in vertical position

Started Nov 16, 2008 | Discussions
Peg Regular Member • Posts: 177
G10's LCD dims when held in vertical position

I'm really enjoying my G10 but I seem to have a problem when turning the camera for a vertical shot, the LCD dims black so the image in not viewable. The photo will take in this position, I just can't see it prior to snapping the image. When I turn the camera in the horizontal position, the LCD screen shows the image perfectly with great lighting.

Is there something I need to adjust or a setting that needs changing? I've never had a camera to do this. Perhaps there's a problem with the camera?
Thanks.
--
Peg Price
http://www.pbase.com/bearpaw
http://www.PricelessDigitalImages.com

lwiley
lwiley Senior Member • Posts: 1,269
Mine Doesn't

Peg wrote:

I'm really enjoying my G10 but I seem to have a problem when turning
the camera for a vertical shot, the LCD dims black so the image in
not viewable. The photo will take in this position, I just can't see
it prior to snapping the image. When I turn the camera in the
horizontal position, the LCD screen shows the image perfectly with
great lighting.
Is there something I need to adjust or a setting that needs
changing? I've never had a camera to do this. Perhaps there's a
problem with the camera?

Mine doesn't do that. It is brand new to me but I can't think of a valid reason for it to be designed to go dim on vertical.

I don't know what to tell you though - maybe a call to Canon is in order.

Leroy

leicaman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,826
Re: G10's LCD dims when held in vertical position

Are you possibly wearing polarized photo-gray or regular sunglasses?

leicaman's gear list:leicaman's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 +1 more
Al Ruscelli Senior Member • Posts: 1,190
G9 Exhibiting a Similar Problem (Maybe ND Filter Related)

We were having a similar problem with my Dad's G9, and I think it was related to the ND filter being turned on (although I might be grasping at straws with that).

What was happening (by my Dad's description) was that the LCD would occasionally go very dark in the horizontal position (not the vertical). It would not go completely black, so you could at least make out the image on the LCD. However, the image was so dark that it was virtually unusable for composing. My dad has told me that when it did this, he could turn the camera to vertical and the problem would go away.

I tested his camera myself and saw what he was describing, at first not noticing that the ND filter was on. I posted a thread about it a few days ago, but didn't get any suggestions that helped or anyone who seemed to know what the problem might be.

In the mean time, I figured out that he had the ND filter activated on his G9. I turned it off and the problem seems to have gone away (although this could be coincidental). I a bit skeptical about the ND filter being the culprit since I didn't think it would have that drastic an effect, especially out in bright light (that is, to render the LCD image almost unusable even in bright sunshine). And why, if it's the ND filter, would the perceived problem go away if the camera was turned to vertical? That doesn't seem to make sense to me...unless perhaps the "mechanism" for the ND filter is somehow misbehaving.

So, I dunno... :-/

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 59,321
Mine doesn't either - And ND filter-->

Mine doesn't either whether the ND filter is on or off - sounds either like a fault or that you're wearing polarized sunglasses like a previous poster suggested....

Polarized sunglasses are a nightmare with colour LCDs as they use a polarizing layer on the screen to produce the image -- there's one model of Canon which is useless when wearing them Full stop (in landscape mode) the Ixus 970IS / SD890IS (the 10Mp pinhead sensor one with the 5X zoom ) ..
--
Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX10 III Nikon D850 Sony a7R III Sony a6000 +1 more
OP Peg Regular Member • Posts: 177
Mystery solved! Thank you.

Thanks so much to everyone who offered a solution. Leicaman, I read your comment and thought, no, that can't possibly be a reason. But I put on my shades and went outside and tested it with and without and lo and behold, I can't see the screen vertically with the shades on! I never made that connection. Horizontally, it's fine.
Mystery is solved!

However, is this normal? Should I contact Canon? Or is this just the way it is? I can live it if that's the way it goes.
Thanks again to everyone.
Peg

John NA87 Senior Member • Posts: 1,643
Re: Mystery solved! Thank you.

Peg wrote:

Mystery is solved!
However, is this normal? Should I contact Canon? Or is this just the
way it is? I can live it if that's the way it goes.
Thanks again to everyone.
Peg

Yes, it's normal. LCD's by their nature use polarized crystals as part of their technology. Different models will show more of this effect than others, depending on how the LCD is manufactured.

rclompus New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Mystery solved! Thank you.

A big difference between the LCD on the G9 and G10 is how they are viewed using polarized sunglasses. The G9 screen held horizontally blacks out with polarized sunglasses. It can be viewed clearly when viewed vertically. The G10 screen can be viewed clearly when held horizontally but blacks out when viewed vertically. I find the G10 to be much easier for shooting with polarizing sunglasses. The G9 was really frustrating in the same conditions. Glad Canon made the change.

RC

Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,593
It is all about polarization

Same reason as when you go to fill up with gas and can't see the pump display because of your polarized sunglasses.

You have two choice, turn your head sideways or remove your sunglasses.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Canon G1 X III Leica Q2 Nikon D4 Sony a6600 Leica M10
Chris Christenberry Contributing Member • Posts: 521
Re: It is all about polarization
-- hide signature --

I fly a paraglider and use electronic equipment in the process. Most pilots soon learn that polorized lenses are not a good thing. Either you can't read your variometer, your GPS, or even your cell-phone screen or digital watch. I gave poloroid lenses years ago.

SteveLL Regular Member • Posts: 228

I've had the same problem with some ATMs and a cell phone. It probably exits with a lot of devices with LCDs. I have it with my 30D also and every digital camera I've used until the G10. Thank you Canon!

OP Peg Regular Member • Posts: 177

This has been a new experience for me.
Thanks again to everyone who talked to me about this.
I will sure rethink my sunglass situation in the future.
Peg

-- hide signature --
Greg Gebhardt
Greg Gebhardt Forum Pro • Posts: 25,593
I do deep sea fishing

and am lucky and all the marine navonics use polarized screens but the did it right and work well with your polarized sunglasses unless you tilt you head sideways. Got to have polarized and very dark glasses out on the water all day.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Canon G1 X III Leica Q2 Nikon D4 Sony a6600 Leica M10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads