D-Lux 4: New cable release adapter available

Started Nov 10, 2008 | Discussions
Patricia Contributing Member • Posts: 921
D-Lux 4: New cable release adapter available

For those of you interested in accessories for your DL4, I have been using the cable release adapter made by Richard Franiec and it works extremely well. It is made of Delrin (lightweight, wear-resistant polymer) and fits the DL4 perfectly while maintaining the simple elegance of the body. It is specifically designed for the DL4/LX-3 and slides onto the hot shoe.

As with all of Richard's components, the adapter is first class in design, material and construction. He has been providing custom accessories for other models such as the Canon G7/G9, Sigma DP1 and Panasonic LX-3.

Not affiliated with Richard in any way, I am merely a satisfied customer and have been using many of his accessories that have enhanced some of my cameras in areas that the manufacturers have fallen short. You can easily do a search here on DPR for the many testimonials praising Richard's fine products.

I've provided a couple of quick snapshots:

-Pat

Deecy Senior Member • Posts: 1,589
Re: D-Lux 4: New cable release adapter available
-- hide signature --

It's nice but I usually just set the 2 or 10 second shutter delay on my cameras. That settles the camera down for the exposure. (I assume that you mean to use this setup on a tripod).
Tom

http://www.flickr.com/photos/provocative/
http://storiesontheweb.blogspot.com/

JohnParkyn Regular Member • Posts: 227

Is there no thread on the shutter release?

JohnParkyn's gear list:JohnParkyn's gear list
Leica Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6
OP Patricia Contributing Member • Posts: 921

Either with or without tripod, depending on how inconspicuous one wants to be

For multiple shots, it is quicker than using the timer.

John...

There is no thread on the shutter release itself, it is a solid button-press release which is why a custom adapter is necessary.

-Pat

JohnParkyn Regular Member • Posts: 227
Re: John...

Please provide the ordering information (URL).

My search on dpreview yielded nothing.

Thanks,

John

JohnParkyn's gear list:JohnParkyn's gear list
Leica Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6
euston Senior Member • Posts: 2,224

JohnParkyn wrote:

Please provide the ordering information (URL).

My search on dpreview yielded nothing.

Your search technique must have been faulty. I put his name in the dpreview search and came up with 401 hits. It was the work of a moment to find this URL:
http://kleptography.com/rf/

Following is the link. Just scroll down, almost to the bottom, for ordering information and a price list of the components. Note: the adapter is listed for the LX-3 which is the same one for the DL4.

http://kleptography.com/rf/

Lensmateonline also carries his accessories, but the cable release adapter is new and has not yet been added.

-Pat

sclamb Veteran Member • Posts: 5,127

I really hope that Richard makes a grip for the D-Lux similar to the excellent one that he made (and which I purchased) for my Sigma DP1. The craftsmanship is exemplary and the grip on the DP1 revolutionsied the camera handling.

I sent Richard an email to ask about a grip. I am sure he may be persuaded if enough people are interested in one

Simon
--
http://sclamb.zenfolio.com/

mhoutman Regular Member • Posts: 214

hi simon,

in fact i asked richard for such a grip last week. than he let me know it would take some time.

i also ordered the cable release adapter

sclamb Veteran Member • Posts: 5,127

mhoutman wrote:

hi simon,

in fact i asked richard for such a grip last week. than he let me
know it would take some time.

i also ordered the cable release adapter

I spoke to Richard earlier. If there is enough interest (and he can get a cheap D-Lux 4 to use) he might consider it. Unfortunately, the biggest market that he had for the DP1 grip was Japan, and they are unlikely to be buying the D-Lux 4 as they would almost certainly go with the Panasonic LX3 (and therefore have no need of such a grip).

Simon
--
http://sclamb.zenfolio.com/

a product from richard would be very fine but it needs a market.

leica will release their M8 like handgrip for the d-lux 4 soon but perhaps many people won't like it.

a smaller grip would also fit in more cases and if you look at lensmates other products, (adapaters) there is always a market for some competition.

It's being considered

As posted above, Richard is considering a grip for the DL4 if there are enough people to warrant production. I have two of his grips, for the DP1 and G9 and both are first class components. I would expect nothing less for the DL4 and it most certainly would be nicer (and less expensive) than the Leica grip, IMO.

-Pat

Re: It's being considered

pat, i have the leica m8 grip which is very similar to the d-lux 4 grip (yet bigger).it is efficient but also imo not very stylish

waiting for a richard franiec alternative would have my preference.

also got his release adapter. see here:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/digital-forum/69123-d-lux-4-custom-mechanical-cable.html

mhoutman

You will be very pleased with the cable release adapter - it is beautifully made and fits perfectly.

And I agree with you regarding the merits of a grip. As DL4 users are a relatively small group, thus far, I am not sure how many would commit to a purchase. Also, a camera is required for design purposes which would mean a rather hefty investment to produce the grip. Perhaps Richard can find a DL4 "friend" in his area.

IMHO, the Leica grip styling is much more suited to the M8. For the DL4, I find it too big (defeating the purpose of a compact), too ugly and too expensive.

-Pat

Re: mhoutman

pat, i had the handgrip in my hands during photokina. i can assure it doesn't win any design prize but as it is rather big it fits you handpalm very well

Re: mhoutman

Thank you for the assessment. It's good to have various options for different tastes.

-Pat

stanalex New Member • Posts: 2

Will this adapter fit the Olympus M10 mark 3

stanalex New Member • Posts: 2

will this adapter fit Olympus M10 mark 3

Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 2,101

stanalex wrote:

will this adapter fit Olympus M10 mark 3

No. The Leica D-Lux 4 and Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III are very different sizes and shapes, so this adapter wouldn't fit.

There might be a similar gadget available for your camera, but a quick web search didn't find any...

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads