D90 - MC-DC2 modification! -> for 2.5mm connectors...instructions...

Started Nov 2, 2008 | Discussions
lyd anynom Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: thanx ron2000...

Wow, I am a little amazed that this is the only thread on hacking the d90 accessory connector that I could find in the forums.

Has anyone had any more luck sourcing the raw connector?

I've been looking at the ready-to-mount gps options ($100 to over $200) and the adapter cable options (~$60 for serial gps) and thinking that none of these are optimal.

It seems that a better way to go (at least for my immediate goal, which is to use my Garmin 60Cs) would be to grab a couple of xbee wireless modules ($20/ea) and get the appropriate cables for the gps and and camera. Now I can just keep the garmin on my belt or clipped to my bag, and have it wirelessly transmitting serial nmea data to the camera. The xbee is so much smaller than any of the on-camera gps options, and because it doesn't need to see the sky it could be tucked away on the bottom of the camera so it and the cable were much less obtrusive.

Power draw would be about the same as any of the on-camera gps, 50 mA.

My whole plan starts to fall apart when I look at spending another 20 or 30 bucks on cables that I am just going to hack apart, though.

I guess $70 is still pretty good for a solution that gets me away from that annoying wire, not to mention opening the door to adding a lot more advanced features with the introduction of a microcontroller or two, but it would be much cooler if I could just get a sack of the proper right-angle connectors to experiment with.

So, has anyone tracked down a source?

lorenzanaj New Member • Posts: 17
Re: D90 - MC-DC2 modification! -> for 2.5mm connectors...instructions...

There is a no-cutting solution to this. Buy the N10 connector from Phottix for about $6 on ebay (just find a seller selling the shutter release). Then buy a 2.5mm female 2 female adapter somewhere. Careful Phottix has several lengths for the N10 cable - aprox 5" and 60" and maybe others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGnvwJhhMYY

shashinki.com/shop/phottix-cleon-wireless-remote-nikon-digital-camera-nikon-mcdc2-compatible-p-2890.html

MasterPhotographer New Member • Posts: 10

I purchased the Yongnuo timer for the D90 (from Jiakgong) and instantly fell in love with it! I worked like a charm. I have used it about 4 or 5 times, but now the connector has broken. I have cut the broken connector off and am trying to find just the connector somewhere. Has anyone had any luck??

Greg

ltstaley New Member • Posts: 1

Hello how are you? I just wanted to ask you because I've been looking for the connector you posted on this picture/post below and I can't find it anywhere... I already checked the webpage you sayed on your post but its not working... can you please let me know where can I get them if you know?

Thank you very much

ron2000 wrote:

You do not have to DIY with this one:

pforsell
pforsell Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
Here

Ebay is full of them. Like this el cheapo remote, that comes with the short adapter cable. Just ditch the remote and use the cable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timer-Remote-Cord-2-5mm-Adapter-for-Nikon-D90-D600-D3200-D5100-D5200-D7000-D7100-/251295736888?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3a8264a438

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads