Film Simulation presets

Started Oct 31, 2008 | Discussions
gwynngee Contributing Member • Posts: 548
Film Simulation presets

Adobe vs Fuji . I have spent a bit of time writing fuji interpretations of my Nikons in acr. To test my means and pin point the faults I did some ACR vs Jpgs in film Mode on the S5. They are recorded As XMP. Files on a Mac. They should load into CS3 on mac or PC in presets folder. They basically simulate the different Film modes on camera {with the ability to recover highlights}. They are not perfect, they have not been fine tuned. They're OK.

I use my nikon versions all the time. Have not figured out my Fuji work flow yet,it has so many. Unbelievable Camera,what the difference 2 sets of pixels make to the tone curve.

But anyway I'm happy to email my Fuji settings to anyone to try.

My first 10-15 yrs in the industry was as an E6 tech Duplicating and retouching transparencies. Also a Ciba Printer,C41,colour internegs,R14,Ciba copy systems, bla bla bla.

Even ran a mini lab on the Great Barrier Reef in a state of semi retirement.

So what I'm trying to say is although relatively new to the digital I have a bit of old school colour knowledge behind me.

They're sitting here on my laptop. Oh yeah, they don't have a Magic colour balance.

sorry to repost this . Posted at the end of LR2 [again] then realised it was probably
a new post.

I dont have a site to download from but can email to someone who can if they prove popular.
--
Tony G-J.

CM_laptop Senior Member • Posts: 2,034
Would like....

....to get them, Tony.

classicman(at)fastmail(dot)fm

Thanks in advance!

Bill C Veteran Member • Posts: 3,093
I'll Try Them As Well .. Thanks!

Bill
billcoughlinpa@comcast.net

Denyerec Regular Member • Posts: 475
Hosting

Hey there,

If you email me at denyerec at denyerec dot co dot uk I can stick them up on some web hosting for everyone to get a look at.

I'm very interested, but curious on how I use the files, so I might bug you again if I don't get them working first time

coloris New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Hosting

Hi

I would love to test them out,

photodepresse at gmail.com

Thanks in advance for your work.
Cheers!

OP gwynngee Contributing Member • Posts: 548
Re: Hosting

Hi denyerec, have emailed to you with a brief description of how to load the presets and an example of how my D2x one works. As i said I haven't used these S5 ones much they were written to help pin point a few colour issues I was having while writing my D2x set. They should work OK. I hope to get back to them later and fine tune. Also the presets are there. For F1 , F1a , f1b ,F1c and F2. All the best Tony.
--
Tony G-J.

Hosted online!

Hi there,

Many thanks for that, I'll give them a spin ASAP on some shots I have from the weekend

For everyone else so Tony doesn't spend all day emailling them out, you can grab them here:

http://www.sozu.co.uk/software/fuji_film_settings_1.0.zip

Re: Hosted online!

Hi , A note to anyone trying them. F2 has a very steep curve on it, it will blow the highlights and clog the shadows. Before pulling down the exposure or using the highlight recovery or anything in the Adjustment tab, Look in the point curves tab and if you are comfortable with using point curves address the problem there . In point curves apply points to the curve by Command(CTL) clicking and adjusting with your arrow keys? Use the adjustment tab for your final fine tuning.Think of F2 as instead of starting out flat and going forwards as starting out contrasty and saturated and going backwards.

By going through the tabs you will see what I have done and you should be able to fine tune them to your taste. The basic tone curve and Simulated Adobe-Fuji colour mix should be there. The Colour Balance is about 10 am australian winter.
All the best .
--
Tony G-J.

Re: I'll Try Them As Well .. Thanks!

Hi Bill, I did send them to you,just got an email from delivery system saying email was blocked.
--
Tony G-J.

Thanks .....

Thanks - picked them up from the link provided (Haven't tried them yet).

I'll have to check as to why the email was blocked .....thanks for the information.
Kind regards,
Bill

Re: Film Simulation presets

Shot a job on the Fuji yesterday ,while I was in ACR noticed I had tried to do the Film simulation thingy in Dng profiler , got out the original shots of the Macbeth charts I had used and had a look at the Camera Profiles as compared to the jpgs. I only did F1b & F2, about 5 times each. I have picked out the best one of each. Deyerec if you are out there I can email those to you also to try & post. Also can include the files for DNG PROFILER that will set the profiler to the recipe so you can fine tune. I remember DNG Profiler came out 2 days after I had spent about a week writing the presets for the Nikons. These ones I think handle the cyan - blues better. Give me the OK and I will send them for you guys to try. These also are still a work in progress, but with both sets of files they are tunable to your own liking. The tone curves on the presets are better , the colour issues on these seem to be slightly different.
--
Tony G-J.

New files now hosted

Both the camera profiles and the DNG creator profiles from Tony are now hosted at the following location:

http://www.sozu.co.uk/software/fuji_camera_profiles_2.zip
http://www.sozu.co.uk/software/fuji_dng_profiles_2.zip

Thank You...

Thank you for your effort, and for sharing. I won't have time until the weekend to 'experiment', then hopefully can give some feedback.
Kind regards,
Bill

p-phpto Contributing Member • Posts: 594
compatible with lightroom 1.4

Will it work?
or will I need to upgrade.

Re: compatible with lightroom 1.4

P photo I am not familiar with LR , I downloaded the very first trial and as it did not have point curves, I chucked it. But as far as I am aware Acr 4.4 and LR 1.4 are the sameish and presets written in acr are compatible. I am sure there are other users out there that could emphatically answer your question. Im not sure but if LR 1.4 has the newer camera profiles for your D300 the profiles should function as long as you place them in the right folder. Hope this helps .
--
Tony G-J.

Please take the dcpr.'s further

For those that are not sure how , maybe this will help.

-To my understanding how the program works is . It has a set of preset values to the macbeth chart shot under 2 different colour temps. You shoot it under that lighting situation it resets the values on your chart to those values. O.k. WE are by passing that part of the program. We have a different set of values we want e.g .the values created when the camera is set to say F1b. So, firstly we shoot the MC with the camera set to F1b as a jpg.In theory if we shoot a raw at the same time.the colour temp between the two files stays constant. In my case I did a custom WB.So within reason WB is not critical because we are creating the final colour destination by shooting a jpg and ultimateley what we are concerned with is the difference , it is the difference that is always applied to make the conversion. So you take the jpg into PS set you picker to HSB and note the destination of each of the squares.

Then convert the RAF to a DNG. Open in DNG Profiler. First thing you need to adjust is your grey scale, by adjusting your curve.(this is much easier when doing presets) for some reason the curves moves around a lot in this program ,you get one square right adjust the next and the previous has gone out. Once you have got that close you move onto the colour. This is easier on a Mac I think because of the configuration of the windows.you can have the jpg open in PS and the raw up on the screen in DNG PRO and work visually.You can even crop to one line of colour in each by configuring you windows.Then once you have it visually close you save the profile to ACR , open the raw ,apply the profile and compare it to the jpg, note the differences, reopen the file in DNG PRO with the previous recipe applied, apply the apparent differences, and do it again,and again and again . It would be much easier if you could shoot the jpg & raw, get the destinations from the jpg set the destinations in the program push go. As they do in their normal profiling mode. As the program is I cant see a short cut.

F2 was the harder one it took me a while to figure out how to apply an over all saturation boost. That can sorta be done in the tab that is similar to the profile tab in ACR by increasing the saturation in the R G B individually by the same amounts.

The best scenario I can see is to be able to do the heavy lifting in presets and ACR write that as DCPR file ( not really that different to a XMP only needs to subtract Norm from XMP) Then use that recipe to fine tune in DNG PRO. Hope this helps.

PS. By using the DCPR files I have supplied a lot of the stuffing around is done. I never shoot jpgs so I really dont know what they look like . The couple of times I have shot jpgs and raws the jpgs have been way to light. I tend to over expose this camera between 1&3 stops depending on the lighting situation. Always on 400%.
Tony G-J.

Richie15 Regular Member • Posts: 153

Hi just found this thread which is very interesting. I have downloaded the xmp files, could someone please tell me the correct mac directory to put the files. I have tried different files in Library for both LR and Camera Raw but these are not showing up when I load LR.

Thanks

Users- home --library- application support-adobe-camera raw- settings.
Sorry I don't use light room. Tony.
--
Tony G-J.

winkiwin Forum Member • Posts: 68

sorry to wake an old post.

have downloaded these to my PC and trying to use in PS3. i have moved the files to the right folder, but the extension is different. ACV vs XMP. i tried changing this to XMP but this causes an error.

are these files only useful on a MAC or am i missing something?

thanks

d

I think ACV is adobe curve file. Must be in the wrong box. I wrote a D300 to Fuji for a friend on PC and it worked. I think you have to find the right box. I know I had trouble finding it. Its in that folder that has all the bits that function in both Bridge & PS. I know on a Mac its not in Photoshop.Download the free wow presets and watch were it puts itself. They are really handy at realizing several variations of a shot. You could then search a file.

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=34
--
Tony G-J.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads