G10: Remarkable detail...

Started Oct 29, 2008 | Discussions
Vidar NM
Vidar NM Regular Member • Posts: 456
G10: Remarkable detail...

...in out-of-camera jpegs. This capture was done today under low DR conditions that suits the G10 well: http://flickr.com/photos/vidarnm/2984518916/in/set-72157608453841490/

+ a few other new 10D samples (look out for the snapshot taken through the car window): http://flickr.com/photos/vidarnm/sets/72157608453841490/

-v

Vidar NM's gear list:Vidar NM's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +4 more
timpdx Senior Member • Posts: 1,500
Re: G10: Remarkable detail...

Lots of detail, but I do see LOTS of jpeg artifacts. I would love to see a processed RAW. Nice winter landscape. Where is that?
--
http://www.pixelmap.com

oluv Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

very nice, impressive indeed! it is a pleasure to zoom into 100% and look around.

oluv's gear list:oluv's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +1 more
borisboomboom Senior Member • Posts: 2,466

timpdx wrote:

Lots of detail, but I do see LOTS of jpeg artifacts.

really? at 100%, perhaps?

doubt anyone would notice w/ all but the largest print size.

using raw is not for everyone. i'd venture to say a good amount of people waste their time with it (and other equipment and software distractions) while neglecting more important aspects of making good pictures.

now i'm not referring to you, timpdx, but whole bunch of raw shooters love wasting time attempting to eek out an extra three percent on, what often amounts to, a lousy photograph of a bee or a flower or a test chart or brick wall.

but whatever floats their boat.

nice shots all around.

you've ample photo ops with that pleasing northern light.

Vidar NM wrote:

...in out-of-camera jpegs. This capture was done today under low DR
conditions that suits the G10 well:
http://flickr.com/photos/vidarnm/2984518916/in/set-72157608453841490/

+ a few other new 10D samples (look out for the snapshot taken
through the car window):
http://flickr.com/photos/vidarnm/sets/72157608453841490/

-v

k_strecker Senior Member • Posts: 1,121

Soooo right!

It seems like the thought of using curves to correct white balance on a boring old jpeg sends people into shock. Guess what, jpegs can take a serious post processign beating before anyone will start to catch on.

borisboomboom wrote:

timpdx wrote:

using raw is not for everyone. i'd venture to say a good amount of
people waste their time with it (and other equipment and software
distractions) while neglecting more important aspects of making good
pictures.

now i'm not referring to you, timpdx, but whole bunch of raw shooters
love wasting time attempting to eek out an extra three percent on,
what often amounts to, a lousy photograph of a bee or a flower or a
test chart or brick wall.

AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,951
Agreed ------->

I took a RAW I shot outside the shop, developed it in DPP as a TIF, upsized it to 28Mp (6144 across) and it still held up !! .....

This camera is pretty amazing for a Compact with a pixel packed sensor - I thought it'd be noisy as hell or smeared to death in RAW + DPP but it Beats the G6 or S70 + RAWshooter at 100% for noise AND Fine detail which IMO is little short of a Miracle.

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Fujifilm X-T100
Vidar NM
OP Vidar NM Regular Member • Posts: 456
Here you go...

timpdx wrote:

Lots of detail, but I do see LOTS of jpeg artifacts. I would love to
see a processed RAW. Nice winter landscape. Where is that?

Here you go: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidarnm/2984773440/?edited=1

PS! Most of my G10 samples are processed from raw. Just thought I'd like to share with people the level of detail from out-of-camera jpegs. View it at 50% or at print resolution and you will not see any artifacts...
-v

Sony RX1 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +4 more

"ctrl + b" works well, too.

but most times some auto levels and some minor usm works just fine. i've got a nice action for quick b&w conversion too. p&p is a drag.

k_strecker wrote:
Soooo right!

It seems like the thought of using curves to correct white balance on
a boring old jpeg sends people into shock. Guess what, jpegs can take
a serious post processign beating before anyone will start to catch
on.

borisboomboom wrote:

timpdx wrote:

using raw is not for everyone. i'd venture to say a good amount of
people waste their time with it (and other equipment and software
distractions) while neglecting more important aspects of making good
pictures.

now i'm not referring to you, timpdx, but whole bunch of raw shooters
love wasting time attempting to eek out an extra three percent on,
what often amounts to, a lousy photograph of a bee or a flower or a
test chart or brick wall.

tonyjplatt Forum Member • Posts: 71
Re: Where are the photos taken??

Vidar NM doesn't tell us where the shots where taken, but as a guess....

"...Color Line operates six international cruise and ferry services between ten ports in Norway, Germany, Denmark and Sweden. The company is Norway’s largest cruise/ferry line with a fleet of nine ships and carries up to 4.5 million passengers each year."

Jpegs or not, I really enjoyed the your photos Vidar.

Here in Western Canada - or at least in Calgary - no snow yet - and no G10s. I want one!

-- hide signature --

tonyj

burp43 Junior Member • Posts: 31
Looks like an island fortress, Oscarsborg maybe?

or not?

John TF Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: Agreed ------->

For Adam-T:

Any idea how an A650 IS image processed as you describe would compare?

There have been so many conflicting opinions about G9 vs G10 IQ that I thought this would be an interesting question for the A650 IS crowd.

-- hide signature --

John TF

John TF's gear list:John TF's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +3 more
AdamT

Any idea how an A650 IS image processed as you describe would compare?

It'll look detail lacking and smeary at 28Mp because it doesn't shoot RAW, JPGs from Compacts rarely upsize well to that degree - everyone by now must know my very high praise for the A650, I'd STILL choose one over the G9 and it's an absolute steal now but the G10 woudl be the cam for me, as a massive A650 fan to be good enough to make me forego the swivel LCD (and that's saying something - and if you need it - keep the A650 as well) ........

I don't know why there are conflicting reports about the G9 vs G10 because at 100% the G10 is just as good or better (which means that you're getting 14.7Mp's worth of the same or beter quality - resize it to 12Mp and PP and it's sharper, less noisy than the G9/A650 even at Base ISO) - it loses absolutely Nothing to the G9 except the max telephoto ability, I'd suggest anyone wanting to retain that AND the Quality (which no Superzoom will give, even the Fuji S100) to add a cheap A650 or keep their G9 as well ..

The Gains are manifold - the 28mm end (and it's sharp corner to corner with no vigging wide open unlike ANY other 28mm Canon compact) , the Hotshoe doesn't have the horrible flash lag like the G7 (G9?), the exposure comp dial is to die for (my fave feature) and other stuff like Focus check with AF (Mag'd after lock), little of the lens seen in VF, the TZ5-like LCD, the Grip, the Concentric Mode/ISO dial, the new chunky battery (Yahoo ! no more Crappy NB2Ls) and best of all, extra rez with NO pentalty .

It reminds me more of the Epson / Voigtlander RD1 Digital Rangefinder than the Glorified S80 the G7/9 did, all it needs is a Seiko watch display for Batt life, WB and Shots remaining ....

The only Crappy thing about the G10 is the battery door - it looks & feels like it came off a Shonky chinese crapcam , even the one on the toylike SX100 is better ! . feels well out of place when the rest of the cam feels like it came from the same stable as the 1DS series !

-- hide signature --

Vidar NM
Bingo!

burp43 wrote:

or not?

Bull's eye!
Are you familiar with Oscarsborg/Drøbak?
If you go south along the fjord from Oslo, you'll reach Drøbak within an hour...
-vidar

Vidar NM
TIP! Nice little piece of sw for more detail

I just noticed that even out-of-camera jpegs from the G10 will take some xtra detail resolvement. My tool for doing this is a tiny PS script I bought from the Steinmullers at DOP (outbackphoto.com). It's called EasyD Detail Resolver. You will find more info on their web site...

Here is the same image that started the thread, after EasyD treatment (1920pix wide).
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2984245131_0f1ebef754_o.jpg
-v

Richt2000 Senior Member • Posts: 2,900
Thanks

Thanks Vidar for posting some great samples.
Thanks Adam for your comments.

I replaced my trusty S70 with a G9 a few months back, and although I love the G9's operation, I miss the 28mm... I haven't been able to decide whether to go G10 or LX3, but I think this thread has confirmed the G10 route....

All the best guys.

-- hide signature --
 Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +9 more
BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,084
Lotsa red/green CA

The snowy branches really show the red/green chromatic aberration toward the corners.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
John TF Senior Member • Posts: 1,359

Thanks for your full download - fascinating, clear-thinking and straightforward as always.

Sorry, I neglected to mention that for the sake of the comparision I had assumed one would get a RAW file via CHDK.

Not that I have bothered with RAW. Though I am completely dependent on some CHDK features such as the real-time histogram and super-flexible bracketing. I don't know how I lived without it - I use the histogram on most shots and, combined with the WhiBal card, the results are in a different league (as we say at the peak of the baseball season, i.e. now).
--
John TF

John TF's gear list:John TF's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +3 more
Vidar NM
The G10 lens...

BJN wrote:

The snowy branches really show the red/green chromatic aberration
toward the corners.

Yes. There is definitely CA present, although from what I've observed so far, less than from the G9 (and much less than most other P&S cameras!). Since CA is quite easy to remove, I am generally more concerned about other issues regarding the lens. Like how sharp it is and how well it resolves details. The G10 lens is indeed less sharp towards the edges, but in general I find that it delivers very good results (knowing we can't have dslr + L lens quality at this level).
-v

AdamT
Here Goes ---->

Sorry, I neglected to mention that for the sake of the comparision I
had assumed one would get a RAW file via CHDK.

There are TWO prepared here - I packaged them earlier .. The Link to a Forum members DPP upgrade Yousend it is in a text file there too .. they're just fast snaps taken outside the shop, nothing special or carefully shot or anything

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=TTdHRm8rYStLVlUwTVE9PQ

Not that I have bothered with RAW

I would, it's fast and easy with DPP and gives more detail / Control

on some CHDK features such as the real-time histogram

G10 already does the live Histo and who needs Bracketing with live After half-press focus confirmation and after shot confirm all on that wonderful LCD Bracketing is only really needed when flying blind with a Film camera IMO

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads