S100fs blurred photo's help

Started Oct 27, 2008 | Discussions
tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410
Re: Ted ...

Wanna be helpful Dave, help Mick Steven work the kinks out on his S100fs. As it is with the horrible fringing, inability to keep a frame in focus at wider angles and lack of detail he is about ready to chuck the camera into a dustbin. We both know that camera is a bit more capable than what he has gotten so far, but if I try and help him it will surely be seen as yet another person who doesnt use the camera subjecting the masses to their will. God knows we dont want that do we?
Ted

Lloydy wrote:

... So, what are you really saying ? This is helpful - Not helpful ?
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
By the way ...

... When something is stated in a 'pithy' manner, or in a way that could be interpreted in a dozen different ways, how do you expect the OP (or anyone else) to assimilate the statement to what is being discussed ?

Frankly, whilst I do respect your technical expertise, I find it very dismaying that you wish to 'shirt tail' with those who wish to 'p* s on the parade', simply to 'p s on the parade'.

When you do, your expertise takes a gutter turn.
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Ted ...

... Don't pass the buck.

Simply, can you work it out by what has been posted ? Well, neither can I. I would have commented on this further, but the examples given do not warrant exploration.

Do I know what this particular problem is ? No. Neither do you.
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410
Re: Ted ...

Same Ted as the last 6 years, if you see that as a bully fine, yet I can count on ONE HAND the number of times you have found one of my facts to be untrue and I would need a calculator to do the same for you.

Funny how you only see the bullies as the ones you disagree with, when they agree with you but use the EXACT same tactics as these aledged bullies, you hop in with both feet and happily agree never once commenting on the presentation. You know this is true, you aren't that simpleminded, why not just come out and say so.

If you want to scream "bully" and be taken seriously, you have to scream bully whenever you see it not just whenever it is convenient for your point.
Ted
(forum bully since 2002)

Lloydy wrote:

... New Ted, Old Ted ?

You are really missing the point. If you wish to be another forum
bully - So be it. I do not shrink from anything I say.
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Ted ...

... Another comment is that many folk do not read/understand English as you, or I, might.

Many times some 'peanut brain' will come along and deride a poster for their inadequate explanation, their poor spelling, their poor explanation, etc., etc..

I had never understood this more, until the last several years, and living amongst folk whose understanding of good English was - 'How are you ? - I am fine, thank you'.

Cut some slack and understand that what you, and I, perceive as normal is not necessarily the case.

People often ask me - Don't you miss your home ? My response is always, I do not miss the arrogance !

I would much rather be here, than amongst people like you, or Kim, or whoever, who cannot see that the world extends beyond their navel.
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Ted ...

... I still do not change my statement.

I may not have responded to all you say, but I have oft' stated that I will respect your technical expertise. If you wish to bag, for the sake of bagging, you add nothing to anyone's enlightenment.

Simply, you come across as someone who wishes to 'talk louder than the last'.
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410
Re: By the way ...

comments in text

Lloydy wrote:

... When something is stated in a 'pithy' manner, or in a way that
could be interpreted in a dozen different ways, how do you expect the
OP (or anyone else) to assimilate the statement to what is being
discussed ?

As for the original posters ability to find nuggetts of information amidst all the discussion, I trust that MOST people astute enough to find their way here are adept enough to sift their way through what is being said and find value somewhere. When discussing complex ideas and technical issues, they will have to either keep up or get out of the way. If someone is unclear on something they can simply ask follow up questions and it can be clarified.

Frankly, whilst I do respect your technical expertise, I find it very
dismaying that you wish to 'shirt tail' with those who wish to 'p* s
on the parade', simply to 'p
s on the parade'.

Fair enough Dave, however take care whose shirtails your jumping on my friend. When I agree with someone it is because I think they are correct, not out of some alliance. Let's be frank here, you are obviously talking about Kim so let me be clear here. I do not know Kim, never met him, but often agree with him because quite frankly he is usually correct. He does the research, does the testing, posts supporting evidence and uses solid fundementals of logic in his argument constructions. When information is conveyed in that way it is quite simple for the astute reader to discern who is being objective and who is being subjective.

When you do, your expertise takes a gutter turn.

Not familiar with the term, but I think its safe to assume its not a good thing in your mind.
Ted

-- hide signature --
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Ted ...

... We may be on opposite sides of the world, but I find no harmony whatsoever with most of what Kim posts.

I have stated before - And I'll state again, that I am no technical expert. I do know what my camera will deliver and I am constantly dismayed that other's tell me that it cannot.

Agree - Disagree ? I do not really care.

However, to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, or from not knowing, is simply and utterly stupid.

-- hide signature --
tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410
Re: Ted ...

C'mon Dave, you have used the camera, its plain that his problem is caused by a few different things. 1) He is using an S100fs which will exhibit a large degree of CA/PF especially at wide angles. 2) He is using auto and has not yet dialed in his camera to do so with any great degree of confidence. 3) Some overexposure which causes even more green fringing and purple fringing which is evident in the hose in the shot titled fujitest, the hose itself is overexposed so the fringing is exagerated around the clipped highlights.

I would have expected you to offer at least some quick tips on how best to test the camera. But I guess you have been busy adding all this valuable content to the forum so haven't yet had time.
Ted

Lloydy wrote:

... Don't pass the buck.

Simply, can you work it out by what has been posted ? Well, neither
can I. I would have commented on this further, but the examples given
do not warrant exploration.

Do I know what this particular problem is ? No. Neither do you.
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Ted ...

... I stated before, that from the 'small' samples available, I do not know what the issue is. Therefore, I cannot begin to entertain an answer.

CA/PF - Been done to death. The S100fs has examples of this at certain focal lengths. It is fixable. Mind you, I could throw a dozen examples of other camera/lens combinations which do also.

Soft - Never experienced it. I guess this is where I cannot help.

Maybe you can ?

-- hide signature --
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,435
Re: Kim and Amc ...

Lloydy wrote:

... How does this help the OP ?

Kim, remember Malinda's wedding images ? With a little preparation
and some good advice, much of which came from you re: fill-flash, she
turned in a very good effort.

It's not to say that the S100fs is the perfect wedding camera, but
used properly it can turn in very good results.

To 'armchair wrestle' over this point is in no way constructive.

Ah ... suddenly the statesman. You run out of names to call people?

Fact is, Malinda's images were very nice. But they still showed the marks of the small sensor.

And more importantly, she did not shoot the wedding for pay. Prime left no doubt that he would ... huge difference.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410
Re: Dave ...

Lloydy wrote:

... We may be on opposite sides of the world, but I find no harmony
whatsoever with most of what Kim posts.

I have stated before - And I'll state again, that I am no technical
expert. I do know what my camera will deliver and I am constantly
dismayed that other's tell me that it cannot.

Be honest with yourself Dave, when has someone told you that your camera cannot do a good job. I say this because one thing I have noticed about you, is you have trouble seeing any good in something which might contain a shred of bad. Let me be clear here, I wil use an example, the review of the S100fs on this site was quite good, they said a lot of glowing things about this camera and have for the most part crowned it king of the bridge cams etc. Yet you saw it as wholly negative and I believe you even mentioned that you didnt read it ONLY after spending a week claiming how innaccurate it was. You went on for quite some time about how bad the review was and how you disagree with it completely, yet at that time you hadn't actually read it. Another example, in many posts I would go on for 6 paragraphs about the positives of this camera and would then throw in a one sentence caveat about the lens or the price and you would wholly discredit my point as if the previous 6 paragraphs didnt exist. I think you are not capable of looking at a group of statements and seeing the whole message. Of course these are just my opinions but I think I am being pretty accurate here. Agree - Disagree? I do not really care either.

Agree - Disagree ? I do not really care.

However, to disagree for the sake of disagreeing, or from not
knowing, is simply and utterly stupid.

I'm glad you can actually see the stupidity of your actions then, It's nice we can finally find some common ground.
Ted

-- hide signature --
prime Senior Member • Posts: 2,209
Shooting a wedding

M87 wrote:

Normally, when one claims to have "shot a wedding", I expect them to
be the main photographer. Forgive me, but you did not shoot this
wedding.

Point taken. No need to ask forgiveness.

You paid someone else to shoot the wedding

Actually the bride and groom footed that part of the bill.

and you moved
around the periphery taking some snap shots.

Not quite an accurate description. Having had a bad experience with our own wedding photographer 36+ years ago, I was determined that the same would not happen at our child's wedding. (In our case, I had failed to educate the photographer about the identity of the most important guests; and fully half the proofs the photographer submitted to us after the wedding featured prominently as the center of attention the date of convenience of one of our female guests who had broken up with her fiancé the week before and asked the guy to escort her to our wedding so she would not be without a date. We had not met the guy before the wedding, and have not seen him since, except in our wedding pictures.) Therefore I decided consciously to "cover" the professional photographers by taking hundreds of photos. In the end, I brought back seven GB of photo files (3 MB ot 5 MB each).

At the set-piece events in September, I was both privileged and constrained. Sitting in the front row with the other parents of the bride and groom, I had a better angle on the wedding ceremony itself than any of the professional photographers had. That allowed me to capture some of the most important moments from the "best seat in the house." On the other hand, I was in the middle of the row, so I could not move laterally to change the background. As a result, in many of the crucial moments, a palm tree in the background exactly split the frame between the bride and groom. At least it was not positioned to appear to be growing out of the top of the head of one of the principals.

Apart from the set pieces, my main function at the event was to be a co-host, to greet and thank the invited guests, all of whom had flown literally thousands of miles on their own nickel, and had used their own vacation time from work, to attend the event. In between those duties, I grabbed the camera out of the bag at my side frequently to squeeze off a few opportunistic shots, featuring the other parents and grandparents and aunts and uncles of the bride and groom and the guests whom I knew were the most important to the newlyweds. But I lacked the luxury to roam around looking for photographic masterpieces; I was there to grab moments of opportunity as they fell in my lap.

For this purpose, the S100fs is certainly up to the task although, on
this occasion, it looks as though you concentrated more on the
wedding than on the photography, which is understandable, given your
relationship to one of the happy couple.

Were I in your place, I would probably even have left the S100fs at
home and just enjoyed the wedding, that is why you pay a professional.

The results have, in the opinion of the bride and groom and of the relatives on our side of the family, more than justified my decision to take the S100fs. The pros' photographs simply lack the intimacy only a participant could capture; they look more like what might be pulled off the AP newswire.

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Mick ...

... Maybe I have missed something. I have yet to see a full-size image. Can you post one, or direct me to where you have posted one ?
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Kim ...

... Suffice to say, that Malindas images were good for an S100fs ?
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,435
bold-faced lie ...

Lloydy wrote:

... When so much 'flak' is in the air, it can be very difficult to
decide what is worth - Or no.

I note, the flak comes from those who are non-users and the 'how do
you fix' comes from those who use the camera regularly. Surprising ??

You lie ...

The majority of th "flak" comes from you and people like ron_m lately. Constant nasty name calling, ridiculing, and as Ted says: pithy one-liners. The majority of your posts in these threads are avoidance based attack posts.

1. I don't use the camera but I am an expert - Believe me, I know
this camera's failings inside out.

Don't be a fool ... of course someone can know that camera's potential without owning it. Small sensor, basic flash interface, bad RAW format. Kind of conatrsins what one can do under pressure.

2. I have the camera and have found this is the way to fix it's
shortcomings. It's not perfect, but there are workarounds. I don't
consider that it has failngs. Rather, I look at it's strengths.

Uh huh ... it has many strengths. But these do not play well to the needs of a wedding photographer.

In this forum ... pushing small sensor cams has always been about stretching them past their limits to show what can be done.

Since your arrival, a few people have tried to suggest that this cam has the ability to perform in professional endeavors for which it is clearly not designed.

Shame really, no-one seems particularly interested in what the OP's
issue is, rather in how 'big' their answer is.

This is stunningly disingenuous coming from you ....

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Ted ...

... Common ground ? I would not call it that.

I will state the S100fs delivers. Is it perfect ? No.

Is it better than a whole lot of other proffered solutions ? Yes.

Am I happy with it ? Yes.

Are the vast majority of users happy with it ? Yes.

Does it have detractors ? Yes.

Who are the detractors ? Those who do not use it, or have not figured out how to use it.

-- hide signature --
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,435
Re: By the way ...

Lloydy wrote:

Frankly, whilst I do respect your technical expertise, I find it very
dismaying that you wish to 'shirt tail' with those who wish to 'p* s
on the parade', simply to 'p
s on the parade'.

That's just silly. Ted is far more likely to agree with you and a few others than I am. Have you not seen the difference, or are you simply blinded by rage with anyone who has the temerity to disagree with you?

And yes, Ted and I agree a lot of the time ... because he has a logical mind and is not afraid to use it.

 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
tdkd13 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,410
Re: Dave ...

comments in text.

Lloydy wrote:

... I stated before, that from the 'small' samples available, I do
not know what the issue is. Therefore, I cannot begin to entertain an
answer.

So you have nothing helpful to offer but decry other posts as being unhelpful. Again, the OP can read what is said and decide what is helpful to him. If it turns out the most helpful advice he gets is sell that camera on eBay and buy a different one then at least he has a direction. That is better than offering up nothing at all but complaining that no one else is.

CA/PF - Been done to death. The S100fs has examples of this at
certain focal lengths. It is fixable. Mind you, I could throw a dozen
examples of other camera/lens combinations which do also.

Which would be helpful how?

Soft - Never experienced it. I guess this is where I cannot help.

Surely you must have some ideas.

Maybe you can ?

Certainly Dave, let me take it from here. Put the d@mn camera on a tripod, shoot a scene with a decent amount of detail and use as many different settings as you can think of, take notes as to what you did in each shot. Go back to your computer and see what worked and what didnt. Then decide if you can live with the results or have gotten a bad camera.

Quite simple really. It is entirely possible you have a bad copy since most folks are getting sharp images at most focal lengths. However at wide angles expect some edge blurring and color fringing, that likely wont go away with a new copy.
Ted
(glad to help)

-- hide signature --
Lloydy
Lloydy Forum Pro • Posts: 19,589
Bold ? ...

... I own the camera. I use the camera. I have stated I do not know what the OP's issue really is as I cannot see original images.

Lie ? What is lying about that ?
--
Rgds, Dave.
Have fun - take lotsa pix.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pixplanet

S100fs Examples - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_5.htm

Post processing (PP) Tips - http://www.pixplanet.biz/Posting-stuff_7.htm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads