50D Error 01 Lost communication with lens

Started Oct 19, 2008 | Discussions
ADP3009 New Member • Posts: 9
50D Error 01 Lost communication with lens

Error 01 lost communication with lens. It happened 2 times with 2 different lenses. The first time I removed the lens, cleaned the contacts, put it back on and it was ok. The second time with a different lens, I took it off, put it back on and it came back to life.

dp_photoguy_2001 New Member • Posts: 9
Re: 50D Error 01 Lost communication with lens
-- hide signature --

every EOS camera will do that if you removed the lens BEFORE you turn the camera off. Rule of thumb - turn off your camera first!

T_smith Regular Member • Posts: 132

I returned mine due to this error code with all my Canon lens.

JimH Forum Pro • Posts: 12,912
You shouldn't need to.

dp_photoguy_2001 wrote:

These cameras and lenses are designed so that you can swap lenses while the camera is on. That's one error I've never seen before an any of my Canon bodies. And I sometimes swap lenses with the camera on.

I think most photojournalists and sports shooters probably swap lenses with the camera on because they don't have the time to spare. And they'd be really disappointed if doing so caused problems. So the camera manufacturers have designed the contact arrangement, the electronics, and the firmware such that you can change lenses at any time.

The 50D seems to suffer from some problems communicating with lenses (if you can believe what you read on this forum). If it was mine, I'd try treating the body and lens contacts with a good contact conditioner to see if that fixes things.

If that doesn't do it, then the body should go back while it's still in its "free return" period IMO.

-- hide signature --

Jim H.

Scales USA Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Re: You shouldn't need to.

JimH wrote:

dp_photoguy_2001 wrote:

These cameras and lenses are designed so that you can swap lenses
while the camera is on. That's one error I've never seen before an
any of my Canon bodies. And I sometimes swap lenses with the camera
on.

All of my canon DSLR's give a error 99 if I remove / Replace the lens without turning the camera off. I've had several, beginning with the 300D up to my current 40D. I had a 5d, but don't recall if it ever gave error 99, but all the others did. This has happened with many different canon lenses, both L and consumer. The camera manual warns you to turn off the camera first, but occasionally I forget and get a quick reminder.

Scales USA's gear list:Scales USA's gear list
Fujifilm MX-700 Canon G1 X II Canon EOS R
Where in the manual?

I've never seen any problem with this, nor any admonition from Canon about doing it.

-- hide signature --

Jim H.

OP ADP3009 New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Where in the manual?

I did not switch lens with the camera in the on position, I took it off from my bag, turned it on, depressed the shutter and error 01 appeared.

I didn't think you had :)

Nonetheless, this thread took that turn when someone suggested that your problem was due to swapping lenses with power on.

My point was that it's OK to swap lenses with power on. It's expected. The system (in fact, all DSLR systems that I'm aware of) are designed to allow "hot swapping" of lenses.

So even if you had swapped the lens with power on, that would not be a legitimate excuse for the camera to have an error. Hot swapping is part of the design, and if any DSLR maker designed their system such that it needed to be switched off before a lens change, they'd rapidly lose all sales to professional wedding, sports, journalistic, and other photographers because they'd just switch to one of the other brands (all of which accommodate hot-swapping).

So that shouldn't have been your problem. If it was, then the 50D would be the first Canon EOS model that I'm aware of that is not tolerant of hot-swapping of lenses.

I would recommend using a good-quality contact conditioner on all lens and body contacts. If it's a matter (as has been suggested in some other threads on this site) of the 50D having poor body-to-lens contacts, then a good product such as DeoxIT or Pro-Gold would likely eliminate the troubles.

It never hurts anyhow.

-- hide signature --

Jim H.

Robert J. Gonzalez Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

He said he removed the lens and cleaned the contacts, obviously he did this AFTER he got the error. Geez.

And I've changed lenses without turning the camera off, never got that error.

dp_photoguy_2001 wrote:

Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list:Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
chierong New Member • Posts: 2

Hi I got this problem also recently, error 01. Brought the 50D in Dec 08. problem start with my 50D and 300mm f4L lens but when I exchange with other lens 70-300mm IS or the kit lens the camera is working.

another problem pops up as well, while the camera turn off it still drain the batt and camera body get hot especially at the batt area.

C.R

naurholm Senior Member • Posts: 1,282

I bought a cheapo Tamron 18-200 which gave this problem after being used in below celcius temps :/ went straight back to the shop and changed the lens no problems, i hotswap between all kinds of lenses no problem.

Do as suggested and treat contacts well if problem persist hand it over to canon then its a defect housing.

For the battery heating issue i'd turn this one straight back to canon sounds like a genuine problem :/

chierong New Member • Posts: 2

Yupe, have send it yesterday. Problem start 2 weeks ago after came down from the Mountain only can not detect the Canon 300mm f4L lens but the lens work with other Camera 400D, 450D & 40D. After exchange and used for few hours seems to be working again with my 50D.

After My last outing last week, back home then notice the body get hot and error 01 become permanent between 50D and Canon 300mm f4L.
I hope they (Canon) can fix it fast, miss shooting already.

larand54 New Member • Posts: 1

I have another view of the problem.

One of my reasons to choose EOS50D was that I since a long time ago is an owner of an EOS1000 camera with zoom-lens from SIGMA. It's a SIGMA UC ZOOM 70-210mm 1:4-5.6. It's has been a very good lens all time.

But when I tried that lens on the EOS50D I got this error every time I took a picture with it. But not when I take pictures inside the house! I'm not joking! I've tried it several times and every time I take a picture inside it works but not outside.

I think it can have something to do with the aparture. When it's darker(inside) it doesn't touch the aparture but when it goes lighter it does.

I' havn't checked that yet but I just want to know if could that bad that this lens just don't work with my new camera?

Robert J. Gonzalez Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

I've changed lenses without turning off the camera and never got that error.

That's not what's causing it.

dp_photoguy_2001 wrote:

Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list:Robert J. Gonzalez's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Claus Mortensen Forum Member • Posts: 74

I've had that problem as well at times. From my experience it seems to be an issue with humidity. That also explains why wiping the contacts makes it work again.

Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 11,530
Can also mean failure to control the aperture

Error 01 can be lens communication problems or a failure to control the aperture. The problem you're having might be the camera and lens don't know how to communicate with each other. Sigma has offered a service in the past to replace a communication chip in lenses to make them compatible with later cameras. I suggest you contact Sigma.

Cannon error codes (mostly on error 99):
http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.31/canon-err99

larand54 wrote:

One of my reasons to choose EOS50D was that I since a long time ago
is an owner of an EOS1000 camera with zoom-lens from SIGMA. It's a
SIGMA UC ZOOM 70-210mm 1:4-5.6. It's has been a very good lens all
time.

But when I tried that lens on the EOS50D I got this error every time
I took a picture with it. But not when I take pictures inside the
house! I'm not joking! I've tried it several times and every time I
take a picture inside it works but not outside.

I think it can have something to do with the aparture. When it's
darker(inside) it doesn't touch the aparture but when it goes lighter
it does.

I' havn't checked that yet but I just want to know if could that bad
that this lens just don't work with my new camera?

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Doug
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

runefb Contributing Member • Posts: 501

Hi There

I've had the Err01: clean lens contacts with my 40D and only with my 17-55f2.8IS. After a while I turned in for repare an they changed the lens contacts on my 17-55IS free of charge. But the problem wasn't solved, so I turned it in again. They then changed the mirror house, incl. camera lens contact. But the problem was still there. I read som posts on the forum about Err's and concluded that the problem might be due to a defective IS in my 17-55IS. So I turned it in to Canon again and explained what I had read on the internet. They changed the IS in my 17-55IS, and hey: Problem solved!!!

In your case, the Err01 happend with two different lenses, so the IS might not be your problem, but there seems to me that there are many underlying causes to Canon Err-messages...

Rune

ADP3009 wrote:

Error 01 lost communication with lens. It happened 2 times with 2
different lenses. The first time I removed the lens, cleaned the
contacts, put it back on and it was ok. The second time with a
different lens, I took it off, put it back on and it came back to
life.

runefb's gear list:runefb's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM
Calvin Palmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,799
Re: Intermittent Error 01 on 40D

I had this problem at the weekend with my 40D and Zeiss lens. Both were bought last week and arrived June 18. Saturday was my first day of shooting with a DSLR.

Err 1 occurred twice about three hours apart. Both times I switched the camera off and on again and continued to shoot. It has not occurred since.

What I would like to know is if camera or lens is faulty, does Err 1 occur every time or can it be an intermittent problem, as in my case?

I have no other lens with to test whether it is the camera or lens at fault.

I think in my case it could be linked to hot humid conditions, as has already been suggested by one poster.

If Error 1 is intermittent does it indicate a less serious problem?

bwigg Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

larand54 wrote:

One of my reasons to choose EOS50D was that I since a long time ago
is an owner of an EOS1000 camera with zoom-lens from SIGMA. It's a
SIGMA UC ZOOM 70-210mm 1:4-5.6. It's has been a very good lens all
time.

But when I tried that lens on the EOS50D I got this error every time
I took a picture with it. But not when I take pictures inside the
house! I'm not joking! I've tried it several times and every time I
take a picture inside it works but not outside.

I think it can have something to do with the aparture. When it's
darker(inside) it doesn't touch the aparture but when it goes lighter
it does.

I' havn't checked that yet but I just want to know if could that bad
that this lens just don't work with my new camera?

This is a common problem with Sigma lenses. They have a CPU problem and can not communicate with the newer cameras correctly when the lens has to stop down.

They work fine wide open. That's why it worked indoors. SOME of the Sigmas can be upgraded. Contact Sigma with all the lens info and serial number. They can tell you if a upgrade is available.

bwigg's gear list:bwigg's gear list
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
glsmaster Regular Member • Posts: 151

Hey, I just want to add my situation here.

I've got Err01 on my 50D, too. At first it was intermittent, but often. Now the camera simply doesn't work. Problem first occurred with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Tried with a brand new Canon 17-40 L - the same. Tried few other lenses - no luck. All the lenses work fine with another body.

Sending 50D for repairs.

Talked to the tech support - they claim this problem is not common. Hmm... may be.

Customer support experience was very pleasant, though: called several times - no waiting time, very friendly and helpful reps.

-- hide signature --

http://photo-tips-online.com - photo tips, photography reviews

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads