Breathing Color Chromata opions?

Started Oct 18, 2008 | Discussions
hfillmore Regular Member • Posts: 117
Breathing Color Chromata opions?

I'll be starting to print canvas on my R1800 and have been considering a few different brands - Moab Anasazi, Premier Art matte/smooth matte, Epson Satin etc., but have recently become aware of the BC Chromata canvas. Does anyone have any opinions on Chromata, especially in comparison to some of the others I've mentioned?

Thanks,

Harvey

David Grabowski Veteran Member • Posts: 7,291
Re: Breathing Color Chromata opions?

The best I can tell you is it's quality canvas, Chromata seems stable to popping or crackling, detail is fine, color very good.

We use Chromata Matte, Premier Art Water Resistant ( more of a semi gloss) and Legions Professional series matte. I coat with either a Krylon product or with Glamour II.

However we are printing with the 4800 made to run canvas stock on. I'm not sure how this would go on hte 1800.

David

hfillmore wrote:

I'll be starting to print canvas on my R1800 and have been
considering a few different brands - Moab Anasazi, Premier Art
matte/smooth matte, Epson Satin etc., but have recently become aware
of the BC Chromata canvas. Does anyone have any opinions on
Chromata, especially in comparison to some of the others I've
mentioned?

Thanks,

Harvey

OP hfillmore Regular Member • Posts: 117

Thanks David. Two questions.

What would you say are the strengths/weakness of the Premier vs. the Glamour?

And when you coat the Premier, do you use roller or spray gun? In talking to the guys at BC, they do not recommend rolling on luster canvas. They say that on luster, the ink sits on the surface of the canvas, and is easily smuged if trying to apply varnish with a roller. Wondering what your experience is in this regard?

Have you tried any other canvas that you liked less than the Premier and BC?

Harvey

David Grabowski Veteran Member • Posts: 7,291

hfillmore wrote:

Thanks David. Two questions.

What would you say are the strengths/weakness of the Premier vs. the
Glamour?

First off, I'm using the BC in Matte, so coating with GlamourII is a natural way to go. On Premier I'm using the Water Resistant Surface which basically is like a luster surface and if I coat it I use a product like Krylon Presreve It which is a spray on product, and do so mostly to knock some of the gloss down. I roll on Glamour II to BC, FWIW. I don't use Glamour II on PMWRC.

And when you coat the Premier, do you use roller or spray gun? In
talking to the guys at BC, they do not recommend rolling on luster
canvas. They say that on luster, the ink sits on the surface of the
canvas, and is easily smuged if trying to apply varnish with a
roller. Wondering what your experience is in this regard?

Sounds right, read above.

Have you tried any other canvas that you liked less than the Premier
and BC?

I've used the Legion canvas, the images came out good on their very smooth matte surface but it popped and or flaked easier than BC. I didn't care for that feature ( also a matte finish) but I like the canvas structure so do use it from time to time..

David

Harvey

Carl_Potvin Regular Member • Posts: 146
Comment on BC Canvas and R1800 as a canvas printer?

Hi Harvey,

I really like BC Chromata Canvas. Strong points are Dmax, gamut (for a matte media) and scratch-flaking resistance. I use BC Glamour II for coating (roller). I'd like the texture to be deeper but I would not make concessions on resistance for this. I also tried the Epson Piezo Pro canvas. I prefer the BC.

About the R1800 as a canvas printer, I had major difficulties loading the media and some head strikes, even with the "tick paper" setting. I succesfully made a few prints and the were very good. However, I rapidly gave up and my canvas job are printed with another printer.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Carl

Nikon D90, D70 / Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S DX / Nikkor 50mm F1.8 D /
Tamron 90mm SP Macro / Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro Super II / SB-800

HP Z3100 / Epson Stylus Pro 4800 / Epson Stylus R1800

Re: Comment on BC Canvas and R1800 as a canvas printer?

Thanks Carl. You probably saved me major hassle. I was going to order some 24 inch rolls and have them cut down to 12" to fit my R1800. Looks like I've got to look for another printer instead.

Harvey

Carl_Potvin wrote:

Hi Harvey,

I really like BC Chromata Canvas. Strong points are Dmax, gamut (for
a matte media) and scratch-flaking resistance. I use BC Glamour II
for coating (roller). I'd like the texture to be deeper but I would
not make concessions on resistance for this. I also tried the Epson
Piezo Pro canvas. I prefer the BC.

About the R1800 as a canvas printer, I had major difficulties loading
the media and some head strikes, even with the "tick paper" setting.
I succesfully made a few prints and the were very good. However, I
rapidly gave up and my canvas job are printed with another printer.

Good luck.

Hi Harvey,

In order to help the R1800 loading the canvas, it is possible to attach a plain paper strip to the canvas as a header. This takes care of the feeding problem. However, you have to adjust your page size and head strikes are still possible.

I suggest you buy a test roll (for example Epson Piezo pro 17"x7') to see if your R1800 does it better than mine.

My other printers (Epson 4800 and HP Z3100) feed canvas perfectly.

Regards.
--
Carl

Nikon D90-D70 / Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S DX / Nikkor 50mm F1.8 D /

Thanks for the tip Carl. As it turns out, a friend of mine has a 7600, and no room for it in his new place. I'll be keeping it at my place, and have access to it. A much more suitable size for canvas, and a lot more options available in 24" than 13", without having to cut rolls in half. I lucked out on this one.

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,648
Which canvas on your Z3100?

So far, I haven't ventured beyond HP Artist Matte for which I made an APS profile. I'd certainly appreciate any insight you have on other media. Also, I've been coating with Glamour II. Thanks.

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
BC Chromatta work really well with Z3100

I was ready to try HP canvas when I bought my Z3100. However, after testing the Z3100 with the rest of my 17" BC Chromatta canvas roll, I decided to stay with BC and ordered a 44" roll. No problem so far, just great prints! I don't have the APS option so I use the regular Z3100 profiling routine. I might make a profile with my Datacolor PrintfixPRo to compare but I'm satisfied with the profile generated by the automated profiling procedure.

I do not have any experience with the HP Canvas as of now.

-- hide signature --

Carl

Nikon D90-D70 / Nikkor 18-70mm AF-S DX / Nikkor 50mm F1.8 D /

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads